Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal torture
Animal torture
People basically torture caged cattle and lab rats to make a profit. They are weaker and seem to be dumb as stones, so why not?

The potential existence of "Godly" being put's us in to same unimaginably miserable position. I think that's why I refuse the idea of God, because the root of it lies in demanding submission trough fear and for me it's not as much about the logical impossibility, which seems just an attempt to cure the paranoia about Maniacal God that many believers shit all over the place, not able to "eat" that shit themselves anymore.
RE: Animal torture
When I see the helpless hell those animals are in, where they can't even fight back and only can suffer in cages, It seems awfully similar to what popular God's like to to with people - use them like items to make a profit.
We even torture our own kind; it's the bane of human nature to inflict misery.
(May 16, 2018 at 10:33 am)purplepurpose Wrote: When I see the helpless hell those animals are in, where they can't even fight back and only can suffer in cages, It seems awfully similar to what popular God's like to to with people - use them like items to make a profit.

That's not the perspective religious people have, obviously.  Think of a parent-child relationship, and how much of that also matches up with what you're saying.  The power dynamic is the same, but the way the parent feels about the child is way different.
'The man who eats meat is brother to the butcher.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 16, 2018 at 10:43 am)henryp Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 10:33 am)purplepurpose Wrote: When I see the helpless hell those animals are in, where they can't even fight back and only can suffer in cages, It seems awfully similar to what popular God's like to to with people - use them like items to make a profit.

That's not the perspective religious people have, obviously.  Think of a parent-child relationship, and how much of that also matches up with what you're saying.  The power dynamic is the same, but the way the parent feels about the child is way different.

No parent would torture their children for their wish for independent life. Theists like to suggest that God's standard for afterlife judgment is so rough(How else can you motivate people to follow Magic?), that unless your with Him your very likely to get ultimate torture as a just punishment.

Animals can't even beg people for mercy, they just get hell till death just because they provide profit, which is a really depressing situation.
(May 16, 2018 at 10:48 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 10:43 am)henryp Wrote: That's not the perspective religious people have, obviously.  Think of a parent-child relationship, and how much of that also matches up with what you're saying.  The power dynamic is the same, but the way the parent feels about the child is way different.

No parent would torture their children for their wish for independent life. Theists like to suggest that God's standard is so rough, that unless your with Him your very likely to get ultimate torture as a just punishment.

Really?  A 6yo wants to stay home and watch cartoons all day.  But we send them to school.  Kid wants to play outside, but we make them clean their room.  They want to eat ice cream, but we make them eat vegetables.  If they refuse, they'll probably be punished.  From their perspective, even good parents can seem like they are torturing them.

Also with the idea of God, you don't have to pick the worst theist's opinion.  There are theists who believe in God who aren't sure what the afterlife will be like, or how the 'judging' system works.  

It's fine to look at some fire and brimstone southern baptist preacher, and say "Oh, I can't believe in THAT God."  But that one God doesn't represent all the versions.  It's sort of like watching Meryl Streep in Mama Mia, and saying you could never like a movie she's in.
(May 16, 2018 at 10:58 am)henryp Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 10:48 am)purplepurpose Wrote: No parent would torture their children for their wish for independent life. Theists like to suggest that God's standard is so rough, that unless your with Him your very likely to get ultimate torture as a just punishment.

Really?  A 6yo wants to stay home and watch cartoons all day.  But we send them to school.  Kid wants to play outside, but we make them clean their room.  They want to eat ice cream, but we make them eat vegetables.  If they refuse, they'll probably be punished.  From their perspective, even good parents can seem like they are torturing them.

Also with the idea of God, you don't have to pick the worst theist's opinion.  There are theists who believe in God who aren't sure what the afterlife will be like, or how the 'judging' system works.  

It's fine to look at some fire and brimstone southern baptist preacher, and say "Oh, I can't believe in THAT God."  But that one God doesn't represent all the versions.  It's sort of like watching Meryl Streep in Mama Mia, and saying you could never like a movie she's in.

You don't sound like an average atheist. You sound like deist, agnostic, or some other hippy believer. 

You basically say that God is cool and hell might not exist.
(May 16, 2018 at 10:48 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Animals can't even beg people for mercy, they just get hell till death just because they provide profit, which is a really depressing situation.

Think of it this way.  How many animals seem thrilled to be a part of 'getting hell till death'?  Contrast with some theists.  A lot of those people are happy as fuck.  Way happier than any of us clowns.  So there must bes a disconnect between how you're portraying the relationship between God and people, and how they are experiencing their relationship with God.

Clearly, there is another way to frame the relationship.

(May 16, 2018 at 11:01 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 10:58 am)henryp Wrote: Really?  A 6yo wants to stay home and watch cartoons all day.  But we send them to school.  Kid wants to play outside, but we make them clean their room.  They want to eat ice cream, but we make them eat vegetables.  If they refuse, they'll probably be punished.  From their perspective, even good parents can seem like they are torturing them.

You don't sound like an average atheist. You sound like deist, agnostic, or some other hippy believer. 

You basically say that God is cool and hell might not exist. I don't like you.

You're saying you don't see how anyone can like Unicorns because their farts smell bad.  And I'm saying some people say unicorns fart rainbows, so not liking unicorns because of what a few people say their farts are like is silly.
(May 16, 2018 at 11:07 am)henryp Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 10:48 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Animals can't even beg people for mercy, they just get hell till death just because they provide profit, which is a really depressing situation.

Think of it this way.  How many animals seem thrilled to be a part of 'getting hell till death'?  Contrast with some theists.  A lot of those people are happy as fuck.  Way happier than any of us clowns.  So there must bes a disconnect between how you're portraying the relationship between God and people, and how they are experiencing their relationship with God.

Clearly, there is another way to frame the relationship.

(May 16, 2018 at 11:01 am)purplepurpose Wrote: You don't sound like an average atheist. You sound like deist, agnostic, or some other hippy believer. 

You basically say that God is cool and hell might not exist. I don't like you.

You're saying you don't see how anyone can like Unicorns because their farts smell bad.  And I'm saying some people say unicorns fart rainbows, so not liking unicorns because of what a few people say their farts are like is silly.

"Religious Views: Atheist" - bs. Your a theist putting on an atheist mask online...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal cruelty paulpablo 13 698 March 6, 2022 at 12:32 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Animal rescues. Brian37 10 657 April 20, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  Proof that I am not an Animal fromdownunder 4 467 September 4, 2018 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Human/Animal Hybrid Catholic_Lady 60 7192 February 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  My Favorite Animal Amarok 51 6843 January 16, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Athene
  Anyone got a handle on what constitutes animal magnetism? brewer 13 1405 May 25, 2016 at 9:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Let me tell you your spirit animal dyresand 62 4558 January 26, 2016 at 7:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Torture.. lifesagift 45 5179 October 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Found out something at the animal shelter vorlon13 1 1002 September 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Chinchilla/Animal Cruelty video dreenbmp 0 602 June 17, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: dreenbmp