Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torture..
Torture..
What do people think about torture...?

Waterboarding.. is horrible...

And then there's the position that you might get, not the truth, but the words you want to hear !!

But for me, if you have the guy who has planted bomb, can you find out where the bomb is? What if your captive has your daughter locked up in a box.. is torture right to find out where she is?
RE: Torture..
(October 24, 2014 at 6:10 pm)lifesagift Wrote: What do people think about torture...?

Waterboarding.. is horrible...

And then there's the position that you might get, not the truth, but the words you want to hear !!

But for me, if you have the guy who has planted bomb, can you find out where the bomb is? What if your captive has your daughter locked up in a box.. is torture right to find out where she is?

Torture is never right, under any circumstances. It is notoriously ineffective when compared to other methods of interrogation, and it puts the torturer on the moral level of the psychopath who locked a little girl up in a box.

Just as patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, so torture is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So you have the guy who has you daughter..... she's in a shed somewhere, hooked up to a bomb... it's going off in 2 hours....
You want the guy to tell you where..

But no torture?
It's not impossible to get dependable information from torturing someone. It's practically guaranteed that you'll get something, and the guy knows if s/he lies you'll be pissed when you get back.

However it's not the right thing to do. It's not really dependable, depending on what motivates the person. Causing undue pain to someone isn't a form of justice.

Now if somebody killed someone, possibly with torture, it would be very tempting of me to do the same thing to that person. Something tells me that's what the person deserves. However it isn't baseless when people talk about the cycle of revenge. No matter how twisted a person is, there's a fair chance that someone will want revenge on you for taking revenge on them. Then your friends get in one it, and eventually people start forgetting why group A even hates group B.

I wouldn't deny that doing painful things to people can bring about useful information. Testing on Humans has allowed us to learn quite a bit about how the body works. It's still wrong, and there are always more ethical ways to do something. If there's anything that makes death more horrible is if the person died in a prolonged and painful manner. Even if they survive it, it should still make people uneasy.

By the way, appeals to emotion is not a good way to debate. Might I start breaking arms if my family was in danger? Probably. Would it be the right thing to do? definitely not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So you have the guy who has you daughter..... she's in a shed somewhere, hooked up to a bomb... it's going off in 2 hours....

But no torture?

Correct, no torture.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
How do you get your daughter back? or don't you?
You tell him that he can be tried for kidnapping, or for murder. Guess which one gets the harsher sentence.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm)lifesagift Wrote: So you have the guy who has you daughter..... she's in a shed somewhere, hooked up to a bomb... it's going off in 2 hours....

But no torture?

Correct, no torture.

Boru

I would certainly try everything else first, but I would torture him as a last resort.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 24, 2014 at 6:33 pm)Chas Wrote:
(October 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Correct, no torture.

Boru

I would certainly try everything else first, but I would torture him as a last resort.

you have 2 hours or your daughter dies !
(October 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm)lifesagift Wrote: How do you get your daughter back? or don't you?

I would leave that up to professional interrogators. They've got an enviable track record of getting positive results. And if they don't, how can you be positive that 2 hours of torture is going to break anyone? You spend two hours and one minute torturing this man and he doesn't give you the information, and your daughter dies anyway.

Now, you got the death of your girl on your hands, as well as living with the knowledge that you tortured someone uselessly.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal torture purplepurpose 17 2796 May 19, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Another ABBA thread for your torture. Brian37 29 6399 May 24, 2013 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Violet
  US used 'Christian heavy metal' to torture Iraqi militants Gooders1002 10 3382 February 15, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Cool ways to torture yourself Napoléon 59 28482 August 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Torture LEDO 11 4561 June 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Tiberius