Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek Difficulties
Tongue 
Star Trek Difficulties
Found this Star Trek site that tries to solve Star Trek canon contradictions/discontinuities. Reminds me of those four and five hundred paged long books that try to solve all Bible contradictions (or as they like to say, "difficulties"), most of the time with ad hoc solutions. Whether Star Trek or the Bible, it's basically the same exercise a lot of the time: http://canonfodder.ex-astris-scientia.org/?Index
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Star Trek Difficulties
I just picked up watching Voyager twenty years later. When it was on the air, I was pretty busy and didn't have time for it. 2 of the first three episodes are time travel related with all the paradoxes involved.
I quite often look around Ex Astris Scientia, the parent site, but somehow I missed this part of it. What amuses me is that these sort of 'difficulties' in something like Star Trek or similar are regarded as plot holes and are only to be expected from a long(ish) running series with many writers (Doctor Who is the same, only more so since it's initial run lasted twenty-six years). The same plot holes in the bible are brushed over as a) not there; b) translation errors; c) not meant literally; d) all of the above - a problem made so much worse since the book is meant to have only one, divine, author which either wrote the thing itself or dictated it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yeah. The difference between Star Trek and the bible is that no one believes that Star Trek is true.
I wouldn't rule out the possibilty. Every group has, shall we say, its more extreme elements.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Fair enough. I mean...Scientology exists.
(April 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Yeah. The difference between Star Trek and the bible is that no one believes that Star Trek is true.

The trekkies who converse in make belief Klingon language come close. But silly as they are, they probably have the wits to know what they are trying to grunt, unlike tongue speaking morons at revivalist meetings.
(April 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I quite often look around Ex Astris Scientia, the parent site, but somehow I missed this part of it. What amuses me is that these sort of 'difficulties' in something like Star Trek or similar are regarded as plot holes and are only to be expected from a long(ish) running series with many writers (Doctor Who is the same, only more so since it's initial run lasted twenty-six years). The same plot holes in the bible are brushed over as a) not there; b) translation errors; c) not meant literally; d) all of the above - a problem made so much worse since the book is meant to have only one, divine, author which either wrote the thing itself or dictated it.

Some inerrantists are changing the definition of inerrancy now to allow contradictions. I've heard some say that that the stories of the O.T. don't have to be factually true since they only served to give Israel "cultural identity." Contradictions in the gospels stories can be allowed now because it was part of the literary genre of writers adding fictive elements in a biography. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to distinguish the Bible from myth as they concede more and more.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(April 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Yeah. The difference between Star Trek and the bible is that no one believes that Star Trek is true.

But there is hope for Star Trek.

The bible is just pure, unadulterated, shit.
(April 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I just picked up watching Voyager twenty years later. When it was on the air, I was pretty busy and didn't have time for it. 2 of the first three episodes are time travel related with all the paradoxes involved.

I watched the original Star Trek when it was first aired here (in (B&W) and loved it.

A few years ago I bought a few original episodes on VHS. They had not aged well. The advanced technology seemed primitive,the acting either wooden or of the scenery chewing variety. The fx remained pretty good in context though.

Sadly, these days both John Luc Picard and Richer get on my nerves, although I still like Data and Worf.

'Voyager' remains worth rewatching,if only for the pneumatic Seven-of-Nine' -and of course The Borg!

Thinking of having another look at Babylon Five and Deep Space 9.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 766 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 423 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 819 May 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek is the worst entertainment made in US history Sanau 18 1707 March 30, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Wink Star Wars plot holes? Wash your mouth out! ignoramus 3 515 May 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Have a Stellar Star Wars Day onlinebiker 44 2171 May 5, 2019 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Nakara
  Star Trek Discovery Season 2 is Good Mechaghostman2 28 3370 March 25, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 843 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 518 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  What's your longest trek? Gawdzilla Sama 39 2485 June 28, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist