Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Seek De-baptism
People Seek De-baptism
http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultur...de-baptism

To quote the article, "Websites offering informal 'de-baptism' certificates have ballooned to accommodate the increasing number of people who want to be removed from official baptismal registries."

I'm not quite sure exactly how to take this. I think people trying to do this are missing the fundamental nature of atheism versus religion.

I was christened as an infant, and I had a full submersion baptism of my own free will at the age 11. That being said, despite my lack of faith now, I have never felt the desire to have my name struck from the records, in fact it is quite the contrary, As an atheist I give no credence whatsoever to my baptism. Why try to undo something if I know that it has no meaning?
RE: People Seek De-baptism
picto90 Wrote: Why try to undo something if I know that it has no meaning?

I agree. I was baptized as a baby and find it kind of amusing that it didn't take. So much for magical ceremonies.
Seems pointless if you dont really care. are they making money because that would answer alot.
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
The only reason I could think of for doing so would be so that you were not counted in a census of religious beliefs as a Christian.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: The only reason I could think of for doing so would be so that you were not counted in a census of religious beliefs as a Christian.

that or you want to rub it in some christian's face ... which would be pointless.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Yes, there are much better things to rub in Christian's faces...
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: The only reason I could think of for doing so would be so that you were not counted in a census of religious beliefs as a Christian.
I don't think they take that rite into consideration when it comes to the form-filling.

Christian churches have baptised so many who've de-converted that even they are starting to recognise that pouring H2O over someone's head isn't enough to properly brainwash them.

The only reason why religious organisations still survive is because stupid people get dangerously busy in bed, providing more stupids to fill the gaps of those who've wised up to the church's dogmatic bullcrap and moved on. >.>
(April 29, 2012 at 7:19 am)picto90 Wrote: http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultur...de-baptism

To quote the article, "Websites offering informal 'de-baptism' certificates have ballooned to accommodate the increasing number of people who want to be removed from official baptismal registries."

I'm not quite sure exactly how to take this. I think people trying to do this are missing the fundamental nature of atheism versus religion.

I was christened as an infant, and I had a full submersion baptism of my own free will at the age 11. That being said, despite my lack of faith now, I have never felt the desire to have my name struck from the records, in fact it is quite the contrary, As an atheist I give no credence whatsoever to my baptism. Why try to undo something if I know that it has no meaning?

Because lots of other people ascribe it meaning.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

A good idea,but do it formally.

As long as you remain on their books, churches count you in their membership. I'd be willing to bet that in some countries the numbers of believers a church allegedly has directly effects such things as grants and tax write offs.Thinking
(April 29, 2012 at 7:19 am)picto90 Wrote: To quote the article, "Websites offering informal 'de-baptism' certificates have ballooned to accommodate the increasing number of people who want to be removed from official baptismal registries."

Why try to undo something if I know that it has no meaning?

I imagine it has something to do with them wanting off the list. Besides, the non-religious need all the support they can get.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1322 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  White people assuming other white people like Trump Sterben 81 11918 April 1, 2017 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Tea Party membership driven by white people who hate brown people, sez science Ryantology 33 6033 November 4, 2014 at 9:34 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  The further people politically move from moderacy the more people lie là bạn điên 26 9156 December 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Snidely Whiplash
Wink New Egyptian constitution may seek to ban all religious parties from politics Big Blue Sky 4 1939 August 19, 2013 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Republicans Seek to Destroy Environment Minimalist 15 5990 July 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: theVOID