Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Minister To Atheist: A Story Of Losing Faith
From Minister To Atheist: A Story Of Losing Faith
http://richarddawkins.net/audio/645781-f...sing-faith

This has to be one of the bravest things a person can do.
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
RE: From Minister To Atheist: A Story Of Losing Faith
(April 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm)The Heff Wrote: This has to be one of the bravest things a person can do.

I think you give too little credit to humanity. Many are the souls who would caste aside christian garbage without a second glance and announce their intellectual honesty without slightest trepidation.

Article Wrote:Sometimes, I think to myself, if I could just go back a few years and not ask the questions and just be one of those sheep and blindly follow and not know the truth, it would be so much easier. I'd just keep my job. But I can't do that. I know it's a lie. I know it's false."

Alright all you theists. I'm going to need to see your certified stamps before you start claiming that this preacher wasn't a True Christian.

[Image: True-Christian.png]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Shades of Dan Barker. Who, by the way, was actually told by members he preached to that the holy spirit flowed through him even though at that time he had already decided he was an atheist,
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Shades of Dan Barker. Who, by the way, was actually told by members he preached to that the holy spirit flowed through him even though at that time he had already decided he was an atheist,

The sort that says holy spirit flows through someone else is also the sort who thinks holy spirit flows through themselves when they scream in gibberish like demented banshees and call that "speaking in tougues".

(April 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(April 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm)The Heff Wrote: This has to be one of the bravest things a person can do.
I think you give too little credit to humanity. Many are the souls who would caste aside christian garbage without a second glance and announce their intellectual honesty without slightest trepidation.

Not at all. I know of many great feats of bravery that both men and women have performed, but to face losing everything that is dear to you (friends, family, belonging to a community) is no menial task and it takes a great determination to do so.

As I said, one of the bravest but in no way meant to demean the bravery that countless others have shown.

Smile
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13065 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1464 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34646 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2845 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2773 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7828 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8784 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5880 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12658 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4676 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla