Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A philosophical...something?
A philosophical...something?
I have no clue how else to put this. I wrote this for a blog I use to archive articles I write, and when I was finished, it felt like a very different argument from what I usually make. I was hoping for some feedback from the community, as I throw myself to the den of lions:

"One of my favorite discussions to have with a close circle of friends, perhaps over a few drinks on a Saturday night, is the discussion of the cosmos. I enjoy this particular discussion primarily because it makes you realize quite quickly how little we know. The space we live in, or the Universe, is incredibly complex. If you keep in mind the complexity when discussing spirituality, it brings forward a very interesting perspective.

I’m logical, almost to a fault sometimes. However, this is one time when logic seems to suit me quite well. Although I am an atheist, I am forced to claim that I do not know what is out there if I care at all about intellectual honesty. Often times, people ask me if that would mean I’m an agnostic instead of an atheist. I maintain that I am, in fact, an atheist.

A theist, by definition, believes in one or perhaps multiple theologies. (Christianity, Judaism, etc…) Any theists I have met to date have worshipped one, though. From each of these religions, there’s a scripture which is to be read and studied by those who follow that God. This is generally referred to as their “Word of God.” Now we’ve reached our viewpoints, and so: I believe that none of these theologies are right, and it’s highly unlikely that any deity exists. A theist would generally argue for their belief, although some argue the more broad deistic concept. (There’s a God, of course none of us know who he is, but there is one.)

Depending on how you’re referring to the word God, things can get confusing. Einstein used God to simply describe anything that we do not know. In that sense, the word God is quite poetic, and I think I could even see myself using the word in a description of (for example) the cosmos I had mentioned earlier. The high degree of complexity within our universe is insane. Furthermore, when we wonder how complex our universe truly is, we can’t help but wonder what lies outside the boundaries of it. (or if it has any boundaries at all.) If we don’t ponder the geographical makeup of the deepest stretches of existence, we wonder where all of this came from.

One theory I’d postulated before was the concept of multiple universes, creating new ones in the place of the destroyed old ones, stuck in a never ending chain of creation and destruction. The properties of physics could be the same in each universe, or they could change from one to the next. Either way, each (I would think) would have to be unique, as opposed to a parallel of the previous one. (The odds that all the matter what fall into place in the exact same location every time upon creation is just not plausible. If the universes were in fact identical in makeup and events through time, there would have to be a greater purpose.)

This theory is not covered in theism. It has been postulated before by other philosophers, I’m sure. It will be brought up by more in the future, I’m sure of this as well. It’s not even a difficult proposition to make. I believe the first time I wrote it down, I was at least 5 beers in and it took about 15 minutes to formulate.

My theory is probably not true. In all reality, there’s probably some other complex occurrence that shaped our existence, and my simple mind is only able to comprehend the workings of the inner universe, and things such as our biology. Perhaps humanity will never know…

Which is why when I get an argument that says “If there’s no God, then who else did it?” I’ve been given an unanswerable question. It sets up an atheist with a false choice–they assume we must believe that either the universe came from nothing or it came from God (And I don’t think they’re talking about the same one Einstein was). Spiritually and morally, I can’t reconcile theism at all. The theories are all quite man made in their nature, and the flaws show in every single one of them from my perspective. If God had truly written a word for us to follow, I don’t believe he would make such a flimsy word, with flaws and fallacies littered about. When the question is put forward “If not God, then what?” the God Einstein referred to comes into play for me. I will never claim to know everything about our universe. I’ll never claim to know anything I don’t know. In Science, depending on the issue, I may or may not believe it. But to be completely intellectually honest, the truth of things can never have 100% verification. Even if we see something right before our eyes, it could all be a deception, designed to fool us into thinking something is there that is not. Therefore, I’m only 99.99 % certain that I even exist right now.

When I hear theories put forward about the beginning of our universe, I’m immediately fascinated. I can’t help but wonder how someone is going to sum up such a difficult question. When they slap down a bible and say “There it is!”, I feel a deep sinking in my chest, as I realize I’m not about to hear any amazing new ideas someone might have regarding the incredibly advanced physical properties we see around us. These books were all written, as I’ve said before, by men. That’s not even something that’s up for debate. Jesus himself never wrote down a word. Neither did Allah, or the Judaic God.

When I hear someone say “If not my God of the Bible, then who else did it?”, and see every single other theory put forward blindly disregarded, the same deep sinking feeling is felt. In the same way they are so disappointed in me for not seeing what they find so beautiful, I feel the same way for their lack of desire to even consider the ideas that none of us can prove. If we can’t prove God or disprove God, why do we waste our time on man-made scams set up to simply collect money from its patrons and start holy wars with one another? We’ve proven secularists can provide the same charitable donations any religious foundation could. The only benefit I see of religion is fooling ones self into thinking we actually DO know who God is. (There’s a mighty comfort in ignorance)

The human mind is complex. A black hole makes the human mind seem quite simple, however, creating an effect we cannot even comprehend. To think the comparatively mediocre form of our being could be so arrogant as to claim divine knowledge and favoritism is mind boggling. I will continue to contemplate our existence, sometimes alone and sober, other times with friends while enjoying some fine beverages–but always sad to know there are some out there who can’t even make it past the first two options."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4913 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 303 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11364 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15467 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1749 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1612 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2105 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12593 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Great Philosophical Question. Pyrrho 26 6547 September 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Pyrrho