Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere
Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere
Like to share links to any philosophical discussions/debates you've listened to recently? Post them here in this thread.

Here's a discussion I've just got done listening to:

I'm a big fan of Graham Oppy (who is a leading philosopher of religion) because he is willing to critically examine arguments for God without hastily dismissing them and is open to adjusting his views where the evidence/logic leads. Also liking this YouTuber "Crusade Against Ignorance" the more I watch his videos. Very impressed.
RE: Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere
I think you might enjoy this guy as well, using the same observations that Oppy makes - vis-a-vis naturalism offering sufficient answers to questions of religious import (and perhaps better answers) - he goes entirely the other way with it.

Where oppy's position on these issues leads him to conclude that religious naturalism is unworkable even as he insists that it does answer questions of religious import, crosby insists that this is why it's workable...and further, that this is the reality which informs us in the more narrow category of what oppy accepts as a religion - chiefly, systems or ideologies with a heavy commitment to non-natural cause.  

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere
I did indeed enjoy listening to this. Donald Crosby sounds like a very "metaphoric" kind of guy who has quite an insightful way of looking at the world and what we are in this world. Not familiar with Oppy's stance exactly on religious naturalism, but I think I can nod my head in agreement to at least most of what both of these guys have said in the respective videos posted.

I will be rewatching soon this debate between Jeffrey Jay Lowder and Frank Turek. Like Oppy, Lowder uses a Bayesian approach to contesting theism. Also a good debater, without being sneaky and all that. As for Turek, I don't much care for him, but it's good to remind oneself of the kinds of arguments employed by Christian apologists.

By the way, lecture videos are also fine to post here. Doesn't have to be discussion/debate videos.

I am considering properly watching the whole series on death with Shelly Kagan as well at some point.

Link to the series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...F1AD9047B0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15256 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1730 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Interesting Study Minimalist 2 452 October 24, 2017 at 5:07 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1571 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2084 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12077 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question How does one respond to this argument?It's long but an interesting read. Thanks :) fruyian 44 6854 May 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2861 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Great Philosophical Question. Pyrrho 26 6433 September 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Interesting statistics about academic philosophy Mudhammam 35 6499 September 18, 2015 at 10:24 am
Last Post: robvalue