Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Quotes OS derail.
[split] Quotes OS derail.
Darwinian, please do not apologize to "Vista"...... Bill should be going door to door at this moment apologizing to every person who purchased it..LOL...Tongue
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: Quotes
(June 5, 2009 at 8:55 pm)Samson Wrote: Darwinian, please do not apologize to "Vista"...... Bill should be going door to door at this moment apologizing to every person who purchased it.

Whilst I don't specifically agree with that (the knocking on doors bit) I do think MS should offer all Vista users that complain (there are actually people who like Vista ... shocks the hell outta me) a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
About a month ago at work I stopped with having a dual boot for Vista and XP. I noticed that In this year I only booted to XP once, and that hadn't even really been necessary if I hadn't screwed up my cd-rom and CD-R driver in Vista by loading the wrong version of VMWare.

So last month I wiped the harddrive and put a fresh install of Vista on there and ever since I am a happy camper. I do my normal tasks maintaining the network, go to the internet, and with Sun Virtalbox I can use XP if I really want in a virtual machine, next to Linux Mint, OpenSUSE, and other test virtual machines..

All in all I am quite happy with Vista, It does its job well. My only grievance is with Internet Explorer, it loads and browses 5 times slower than firefox on the same machine.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Kyu
I believe they have the beta V. Win 7, but I have not tried it out yet. It has got to be better than Vista.... (At least I hope)...
(June 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm)Samson Wrote: I believe they have the beta V. Win 7, but I have not tried it out yet. It has got to be better than Vista.... (At least I hope)...

Been using the 64bit version for 3 months or so ... it's no longer beta, now release candidate #1. It's very good, much better than Vista (spit) ... basically all Vista's strengths, few of it's weaknesses and loads of extra functionality.

Leo, I'm now playing with Virtual PC beta 2009(?) which is not really much different form any other virtualisation system except that it apparently has excelent integration with the host PC (seen videos on that but not confirmed it yet).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

Kyu, now you got me wanting to try it out.... I have an extra laptop here I can put it on. What are your specs? And from what you have, does it start up and shut down pretty good with your current specs??
I went from Virtual pc 2009 to Sun Virtualbox because the linux installations practically never start properly on Virtual pc and work brilliantly under VMware aswell as Virtualbox with a Windows host. Both have a good integration as well.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(June 6, 2009 at 6:51 pm)Samson Wrote: Kyu, now you got me wanting to try it out.... I have an extra laptop here I can put it on. What are your specs? And from what you have, does it start up and shut down pretty good with your current specs??

I believe you can still download it but if you can't I have 5 codes in all (1 64Bit and 3 32Bit remaining so all you need is the actual download and you can probably get that on bittorrent (and even if you can't there's ways I can get it to you across the net).

My system is an E6550 (Core 2 Duo, 2.33GHz), 4GB RAM, Asus P5B, Asus HD4350 512Mb video, 2 x 320Gb Sata II Hard Drive (one given over to XP, one to Windows 7).

Kyu
Angry Atheism

That's actually pretty close to what I have now.....

I can find it, when I get a chance...Smile Same question to you then, how well does it run? And is it pretty stable and fast on start-up/Shut-down?
(June 7, 2009 at 3:51 am)Samson Wrote: I can find it, when I get a chance...Smile Same question to you then, how well does it run? And is it pretty stable and fast on start-up/Shut-down?

Power up is faster than XP and much faster from hibernation which is how I tend to run it (although it's frustratingly slow to create the hibernation file, takes about 30 seconds) ... sure I could leave it on all day like Linux aficionado's seem to but I prefer to be environmentally friendly which is why I go for hibernate and them physical (wall plug) switch off. One nice thing about that is I switch the wall plug on and, in hibernate mode, the system just comes on so about 20 seconds after BIOS I'm hitting CTRL/ALT/DEL and 5 seconds or so after that I'm at the desktop.

True power up takes longer (maybe 30 seconds after BIOS to CTRL/ALT/DEL) but getting to the desktop is almost as quick once I've put my password in.

I've probably been too generous with those estimates so I'll try and do some timings later today and post them up.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Quotes From Evil Bastards The Architect Of Fate 2 454 December 16, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Homemade Quotes, "ABBA sucks, doesn't count." Brian37 37 2352 May 21, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes chimp3 37 3905 May 6, 2020 at 11:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7818 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1437 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 758 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13790 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Daily quotes Creed of Heresy 240 39424 February 27, 2018 at 4:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Irreverent Quotes vulcanlogician 83 10495 January 27, 2018 at 5:18 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28747 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude