Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night
[split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night
(July 10, 2017 at 11:24 am)Shell B Wrote: I hope you feel better.

Just for shits and giggles, I Googled it. Apparently, antihistamines can help migraines for some people. Maybe you have an allergy to Benadryl. My mother can only take the dye-free kind.

My brother is allergic to Benadryl too. It freaked me out when I first discovered that common medicines could give some people terrible reactions.

Anyway, I'm glad you're past that now, Rhonda. Stay safe! If you're still having problems with potassium, try eating avocados, acorn squash, spinach, or sweet potatoes. They each have much more potassium than bananas do.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
[split]
(July 11, 2017 at 1:33 pm)Shell B Wrote: Sure, an epi pen is used to treat anaphylaxis, but we're talking about a potential alternative for Benadryl, assuming an allergy to this antihistamine. Alternatives to Benadryl are many.

Benadryl is not a substitute for epinephrine. Epinephrine is not even an antihistamine. One is used to block histamines. One is used to save your life if you're in shock. It doesn't treat allergies. It treats shock. (Source: I have a bee allergy. Tibby has everything allergies. We've been advised what to do in the event of anaphylaxis. The answer is 100% epinephrine every time. In fact, they say potential side effects are worth it.) Long story short, she has options when it comes to antihistamines. There are few options when it comes to anaphylaxis. Epi pens are the main treatment. That said, she clearly didn't go into shock, so she shouldn't be too worried about finding an option for it.

You should really re-read this thread/my posts, Shell B. I never stated that Benedryl is a substitute for epinephrine, as I am well aware that it is not. 
I was speaking to it's potential as an important/useful adjunct in addressing the symptoms of severe allergic reactions. That was the only reason I suggested that Rhonda MAY want to seek further clarification as to whether she's actually allergic to it. 

Once she conveyed that the doctor has already deemed in inappropriate for her to use, I supposed that just epinephrine (as in, epinephrine alone) would be the medication utilized to treat/address a severe allergic/anapylactic reaction in the short term, IF such a situation presented itself in the future. Then, I wondered if there is any other antihistamine POTENT enough to possibly slow the escalation of acute allergic/anaphylactic symptoms other than diphenhydramine, because I know of none.

Diphenhydramine can most certainly buy time for those who are experiencing the symptoms severe allergic reactions for the first time, and for those who can't afford or simply don't have an auto-injector on them as they await medical care/transport; Particulary if it's taken at early onset, sublingually. And, despite the fact that the medical community rightfully discourages individuals from self-providing insufficient/incomplete treatments at home, Benedryl is indeed, still utilized in the management of such conditions by EMS workers and clinicians. 

If still take issue with what I've posted, again, I would respectfully ask that you re-read this thread in it's entirety, in order to ensure that you have a firm grasp on what was actually stated before you choose to respond to my posts again.
RE: I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night
(July 11, 2017 at 1:33 pm)Shell B Wrote: Sure, an epi pen is used to treat anaphylaxis, but we're talking about a potential alternative for Benadryl, assuming an allergy to this antihistamine. Alternatives to Benadryl are many.

[edit]

bold mine

Not injectable alternatives. Oral administration is not always an option.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 11, 2017 at 5:50 pm)Thena323 Wrote:

Benadryl is not a substitute for epinephrine. Epinephrine is not even an antihistamine. One is used to block histamines. One is used to save your life if you're in shock. It doesn't treat allergies. It treats shock. (Source: I have a bee allergy. Tibby has everything allergies. We've been advised what to do in the event of anaphylaxis. The answer is 100% epinephrine every time. In fact, they say potential side effects are worth it.) Long story short, she has options when it comes to antihistamines. There are few options when it comes to anaphylaxis. Epi pens are the main treatment. That said, she clearly didn't go into shock, so she shouldn't be too worried about finding an option for it.

You should really re-read this thread/my posts, Shell B. I never stated that Benedryl is a substitute for epinephrine, as I am well aware that it is not. 
I was speaking to it's potential as an important/useful adjunct in addressing the symptoms of severe allergic reactions. That was the only reason I suggested that Rhonda MAY want to seek further clarification as to whether she's actually allergic to it. 

Once she conveyed that the doctor has already deemed in inappropriate for her to use, I supposed that just epinephrine (as in, epinephrine alone) would be the medication utilized to treat/address a severe allergic/anapylactic reaction in the short term, IF such a situation presented itself in the future. Then, I wondered if there is any other antihistamine POTENT enough to possibly slow the escalation of acute allergic/anaphylactic symptoms other than diphenhydramine, because I know of none.

Diphenhydramine can most certainly buy time for those who are experiencing the symptoms severe allergic reactions for the first time, and for those who can't afford or simply don't have an auto-injector on them as they await medical care/transport; Particulary if it's taken at early onset, sublingually. And, despite the fact that the medical community rightfully discourages individuals from self-providing insufficient/incomplete treatments at home, Benedryl is indeed, still utilized in the management of such conditions by EMS workers and clinicians. 

If still take issue with what I've posted, again, I would respectfully ask that you re-read this thread in it's entirety, in order to ensure that you have a firm grasp on what was actually stated before you choose to respond to my posts again.

Ugh. You responded to my post that there are alternatives to Benadryl. I've been responding to that response since. Are there alternatives to Benadryl? Yes? Then, there was nothing to debate to begin with. I don't know how this turned into "re-read the thread, stupid."

m.h. brewer, there are several inject-able antihistamines. Therefore, there are alternatives to Benadryl. I can't imagine she'd need an inject-able alternative anyway, given that this was for a migraine and she had some kind of adverse reaction. Therefore, she probs doesn't want to take antihistamines for migraines, particularly given that there are many other options for that as well. She'd just need an alternative for in case she has mild allergic reactions, for which there are many options, which was the absolute only point I was making. Well, that and that epinephrine isn't for allergies, but for shock.
(July 12, 2017 at 9:48 am)Shell B Wrote: Ugh. You responded to my post that there are alternatives to Benadryl. I've been responding to that response since. Are there alternatives to Benadryl? Yes? Then, there was nothing to debate to begin with. I don't know how this turned into "re-read the thread, stupid."

m.h. brewer, there are several inject-able antihistamines. Therefore, there are alternatives to Benadryl. I can't imagine she'd need an inject-able alternative anyway, given that this was for a migraine and she had some kind of adverse reaction. Therefore, she probs doesn't want to take antihistamines for migraines, particularly given that there are many other options for that as well. She'd just need an alternative for in case she has mild allergic reactions, for which there are many options, which was the absolute only point I was making. Well, that and that epinephrine isn't for allergies, but for shock.

See, kids...THIS is what happens when one jumps into a discussion nominally informed, and half-cocked. And, then decides to digs his/her heels in.

We all KNOW that there are alternatives to Benedryl, Captain Obvious. 
Alternatives for MILD allergic reactions were NOT being discussed, when you came in and decided to start "dropping knowledge".

Is that sinking in yet?
She seemingly had an allergic reaction to Benadryl, which is exactly what was being discussed. I know because I brought it up before you said shit about the subject. In future, she will need an alternative to that, assuming she had a reaction. There are plenty. That's good and helpful. Why are you being a cunt?
(July 12, 2017 at 9:48 am)Shell B Wrote: m.h. brewer, there are several inject-able antihistamines. Therefore, there are alternatives to Benadryl. I can't imagine she'd need an inject-able alternative anyway, given that this was for a migraine and she had some kind of adverse reaction. Therefore, she probs doesn't want to take antihistamines for migraines, particularly given that there are many other options for that as well. She'd just need an alternative for in case she has mild allergic reactions, for which there are many options, which was the absolute only point I was making. Well, that and that epinephrine isn't for allergies, but for shock.

bold mine

How many in several? I know but don't think that you do. If epinephrine is not for allergies why do you have an epinephrine pen?

How do you know what potential illness she may contract in the future where she may need an injectable antihistamine? There are more uses than just allergic reactions. 

Anaphylaxis =/= shock. Shock is just one of several symptoms of anaphylasis that needs to be treated. 

Rhonda had an adverse reaction to Benadryl and allergy was a guess. An allergic reaction has yet to be verified. Being the most popular injectable antihistamine (therefore most stocked and readily available for use - not all treatment facilities/ambulances stock all injectable antihistamines), my position is that the allergy is verified instead of eliminating it based one a reaction to one dose.
(July 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: How many in several? I know but don't think that you do.

Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't have made a statement unless I had personal knowledge of it or at least did cursory research. I was able to find more than a handful before I wrote my first post on the subject. That's several. Don't be a jerk for the sake of it.

Quote:If epinephrine is not for allergies why do you have an epinephrine pen?

Going into shock. Given that the possible allergic reaction OP had didn't result in the use of an epi pen, the topic at hand, in my opinion, should have been whether there was an alternative for the medication she may be allergic to. If she needs an epi pen in the future, then she needs one. That's everyone's defense against anaphylaxis. It goes without saying.

Quote:How do you know what potential illness she may contract in the future where she may need an injectable antihistamine? There are more uses than just allergic reactions. 

Do none of these uses have other options? And, AGAIN, there are other inject-able antihistamines. None of us are her doctor, so it's stupid to even pre-diagnose and treat her for shits and giggles.

Quote:Anaphylaxis =/= shock. Shock is just one of several symptoms of anaphylasis that needs to be treated. 

Yeah, the one you get an epi pen for.

Quote:Rhonda had an adverse reaction to Benadryl and allergy was a guess. An allergic reaction has yet to be verified. Being the most popular injectable antihistamine (therefore most stocked and readily available for use - not all treatment facilities/ambulances stock all injectable antihistamines), my position is that the allergy is verified instead of eliminating it based one a reaction to one dose.

Yeah, it was the guess that I put forth. We're not even sure she's allergic, but she definitely didn't like it. Therefore, she might like to use something different in the future. She might like to know she has options. She might want to discuss it with her doctor. I'm not arguing any of this. I completely agree that she should see an allergist if she suspects this.

I'm not at all sure what you're even arguing. Do you disagree that there are several inject-able anithistamines? Do you disagree that she could be allergic? What's up for debate here?

ETA: All of this waylaying of someone's serious thread about a serious problem she was worried about because I said there are plenty of antihistamines? Looking for a fight much, guys?
(July 12, 2017 at 3:55 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: How many in several? I know but don't think that you do.

Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't have made a statement unless I had personal knowledge of it or at least did cursory research. I was able to find more than a handful before I wrote my first post on the subject. That's several. Don't be a jerk for the sake of it.

Quote:If epinephrine is not for allergies why do you have an epinephrine pen?

Going into shock. Given that the possible allergic reaction OP had didn't result in the use of an epi pen, the topic at hand, in my opinion, should have been whether there was an alternative for the medication she may be allergic to. If she needs an epi pen in the future, then she needs one. That's everyone's defense against anaphylaxis. It goes without saying.

Quote:How do you know what potential illness she may contract in the future where she may need an injectable antihistamine? There are more uses than just allergic reactions. 

Do none of these uses have other options? And, AGAIN, there are other inject-able antihistamines. None of us are her doctor, so it's stupid to even pre-diagnose and treat her for shits and giggles.

Quote:Anaphylaxis =/= shock. Shock is just one of several symptoms of anaphylasis that needs to be treated. 

Yeah, the one you get an epi pen for.

Quote:Rhonda had an adverse reaction to Benadryl and allergy was a guess. An allergic reaction has yet to be verified. Being the most popular injectable antihistamine (therefore most stocked and readily available for use - not all treatment facilities/ambulances stock all injectable antihistamines), my position is that the allergy is verified instead of eliminating it based one a reaction to one dose.

Yeah, it was the guess that I put forth. We're not even sure she's allergic, but she definitely didn't like it. Therefore, she might like to use something different in the future. She might like to know she has options. She might want to discuss it with her doctor. I'm not arguing any of this. I completely agree that she should see an allergist if she suspects this.

I'm not at all sure what you're even arguing. Do you disagree that there are several inject-able anithistamines? Do you disagree that she could be allergic? What's up for debate here?

ETA: All of this waylaying of someone's serious thread about a serious problem she was worried about because I said there are plenty of antihistamines? Looking for a fight much, guys?

I'm not being ridiculous. I think you made the statement having no clue. Yes I disagree that there are "several" injectable antihistamines. List the "several/handful" of injectable antihistamines that are not diphenhydramine please. Don't be an ass for the sake of being an ass. 

Answer the question, why do you have an epinephrine pen if not for allergies? Are you going into shock from some nonallergic reaction?

I'm calling you on your shit as you seem to be speaking as a person of authority and what you are stating is anything but. I'm just waylaying your less than informed posts. My original position was the reaction could be other than allergic (i.e. anticholinergic). Don't eliminate Benadryl as a treatment option without verification. 

Can't admit when you're wrong girl? 

I totally expect you to dodge again.
(July 12, 2017 at 4:20 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not being ridiculous.

You are.

Quote:I think you made the statement having no clue. Yes I disagree that there are "several" injectable antihistamines. List the "several/handful" of injectable antihistamines that are not diphenhydramine please. Don't be an ass for the sake of being an ass.

You can think whatever you want, dude. I absolutely did not make a statement having no clue. Why would I make a statement about that without at least researching it first? Since you can't be bothered to Google it yourself or use your own personal knowledge to admit that there are other options, brompheniramine, chlorpheniramine, loratadine, dimenhydrinate, hydroxyzine . . . I'm sure I didn't find all of them. If my sources (MayoClinic and a personal injection of two of these medications) are wrong, feel free to tell me why, but I don't understand why you're arguing that there aren't other inject-able antihistamines if there are.

Quote:Answer the question, why do you have an epinephrine pen if not for allergies? Are you going into shock from some nonallergic reaction?

Good grief, I answered it. For shock. Whether it's caused by allergies is irrelevant. It doesn't treat allergies. It treats shock and other conditions, which can be caused by allergies. You know damn well what I mean.

Quote:I'm calling you on your shit as you seem to be speaking as a person of authority and what you are stating is anything but.

Firstly, I never claimed authority. I said I have allergies and Tibs does too. I've had them my whole life and have had to deal with them. You have yet to tell me which statement of mine has been incorrect.

Quote:I'm just waylaying your less than informed posts. 

No, you're being a bitchy queen because I ruffled your feathers a little bit back and for some reason you thought it was personal. You can get over it now, sugar tits.

Quote:My original position was the reaction could be other than allergic (i.e. anticholinergic). Don't eliminate Benadryl as a treatment option without verification.

I completely agree. And if it is an allergy, there are other options.  

Quote:Can't admit when you're wrong girl? 

I do it on a regular basis, old fuck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 549 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 443 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Friday the 13th Fake Messiah 8 406 May 13, 2022 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1588 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2036 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For the scond night in a row...... Brian37 9 685 May 2, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1041 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Signs you're close to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. no one 4 453 October 11, 2020 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  this may be it! Drich 64 4840 April 24, 2020 at 12:49 pm
  Where do these idiots come from? onlinebiker 23 2518 April 22, 2020 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama