Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irreverent Quotes
Irreverent Quotes
I thought it might be fun to have a thread where people posted their favorite irreverent quotes. There are no limitations as to the object of a quote's irreverence, but I predict we will see a theme will emerge once the thread gets going.

"After coming into contact with a religious man, I always feel I must was my hands."
          --Friedrich Nietzsche

"And on the trillionth day, man created Gods."
          --Thomas D. Pate
RE: Irreverent Quotes
'All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.' -  Poe

'The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning.' - Voltaire

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Me, "If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves."
"I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they are responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him I'd want nothing to do with them."
_Philip Pullman
All from Colonel Ingersoll:

"The doctrine of eternal punishment is the infamy of infamies. As I have often said, the man who believes in eternal torment, in the justice of endless pain, is suffering from at least two diseases: petrifaction of the heart and putrefaction of the brain."

"The doctor of theology has lost his power. Theological thunder has lost its lightning; it is nothing now but noise, pleasing those who make it and amusing those who hear."

"The clergy know that I know that they know that they do not know."

"There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven."

"Ignorance is the soil in which belief in miracles grows."

"A fact never went into partnership with a miracle. Truth scorns the assistance of wonders. A fact will fit every other fact in the universe, and that is how you can tell whether it is or is not a fact. A lie will not fit anything except another lie."

I could go on. He's an eminently quotable man.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
"Creationists are like tourists walking around New York with a map of the London Underground, and insisting that the map is correct; it's the city that's wrong."

-- Ooh, that sounds like one of mine..!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
"Church is like a pubic hair on a toilet bowl, you soon get pissed off."_Unknown
“The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not anything can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing.”

Thomas Paine.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
My own view of religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race.- Bertrand Russell.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
"You're supposed to shelve it when the man puts the bunny back in the hat, thanks everyone, and says goodnight.  Some people, though, seem to see rabbits popping up from manhole covers on the streets.  These people are impossible to maintain an informative conversation with..they don;t even know what -they're- thinking..truly..and so they inevitably ramble.

This makes me, a natural atheist (lol) who has never given this god shit the time of day or even thought it was anything other than deplorably silly to do so...assume they've either flown the coop..or are bullshitting me with pious theatre. Yeah, they say it, but they don't know what it means..so how could they possibly believe it, let alone defend the proposition in a rational discussion?"

L. H. Mencken Khemikal.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Quotes From Evil Bastards The Architect Of Fate 2 453 December 16, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Homemade Quotes, "ABBA sucks, doesn't count." Brian37 37 2279 May 21, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes chimp3 37 3836 May 6, 2020 at 11:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Daily quotes Creed of Heresy 240 39099 February 27, 2018 at 4:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Star Your favourite Atheist Celebrities Quotes! Zaphod Beeblebrox 20 5625 September 20, 2016 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Quotes taken out of context game. Losty 25 3086 September 3, 2016 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
Video Great movie quotes... Aractus 48 4847 February 21, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Converse in movie quotes ApeNotKillApe 2 1094 February 10, 2016 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Athene
  Funny quotes thread dyresand 4 987 February 9, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Non famous quotes............. Brian37 104 11096 September 3, 2015 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah