Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes
Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes
All religious writings are human in origin. No reason to throw the Divine Baby out with the Holy Water. One of my favorites is this quote by Rumi:

“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Ours is not a caravan of despair. Beautiful. I say this to myself when I fall off the Healthy Lifestyle Bandwagon. Whenever I need to begin again I say this to myself.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes
Life is short,
And we do not have much time
to gladden the hearts of those who
make the journey with us.
So… be swift to love,
and make haste to be kind.
Proverbs 18:15 - 'The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 24, 2019 at 7:28 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Life is short,
So… be swift to love,

That's a lovely sentiment, but it is neither scriptural nor religious.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Malachi 2:3 "Behold I will corrupt your seed and spread dung on your faces."
“Man shall not lie with man as he does with woman. It is an abomination and he shall be killed” (paraphrased) - Leviticus*

*tattooed on the arm of an anti Gay activist who had apparently not read ALL of Leviticus.
Dying to live, living to die.
Jesus fucking christ, what the fuck are you doing? Merge you god damn asshole, merge!
(June 24, 2019 at 7:41 pm)no one Wrote: Jesus fucking christ, what the fuck are you doing? Merge you god damn asshole, merge!

I was building a house for my 12 year old daughters rabbit. I smashed my thumb with a framing hammer. I was jumping up and down yelling "Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!!!"

I heard my daughter say "Mom, Dad's praying again!"
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

That's some funny shit, Señor Chimp.
(June 24, 2019 at 7:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 24, 2019 at 7:28 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Life is short,
So… be swift to love,

That's a lovely sentiment, but it is neither scriptural nor religious.

Boru

It was written by a German aesthetic philosopher. Since then it has been picked up by a lot of religious people, who consider it to be completely in line with the Gospels. I got it from an Episcopalian. 

I agree with you that even non-religious people can find it lovely -- as is true of the quote in the OP as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil Quotes From Evil Bastards The Architect Of Fate 2 454 December 16, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Who's your favorite serial killer? Foxaèr 9 657 October 6, 2022 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What's your favorite Weather app? Jehanne 13 1121 July 20, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 18135 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  Your favorite species. Brian37 43 1993 August 11, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Your favorite meat approximation? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1595 August 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Homemade Quotes, "ABBA sucks, doesn't count." Brian37 37 2348 May 21, 2020 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Your favorite type of Dog Docto021 23 1502 May 6, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Where's your favorite place to travel to? EgoDeath 21 2081 March 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Your all-time favorite hallucination? Gawdzilla Sama 43 2818 September 29, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda