Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shamans and Scientists
Shamans and Scientists
Why is it that scientists are just now discovering what shamans have been saying for thousands of years?
All life is one, for instance. That is a physical, very true fact. (I read that in "Genome", by Matt Ridley)
There are a whole bunch of others, but I can't think of them right now.

If any agree, or disagree, or have any new/good/what have you information, I would really appreciate some input. Smile Thanks.
RE: Shamans and Scientists
I'm not sure I understand you. What have Shamans been saying for thousands of years that scientists have only just discovered?
(June 7, 2009 at 8:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm not sure I understand you. What have Shamans been saying for thousands of years that scientists have only just discovered?

All life is one.
Love is power.

Sorry if I'm being vague. D: I'm trying to express this as much as I can, trying to get across the information.
What exactly does "All life is one" mean? How has science shown this? Life isn't one at all; there are various forms of life. Sorry but I just don't get what you are saying concerning shamans knowing things before science...

"Love is power" isn't a scientific statement at all. When did scientists publish papers on love/power exactly? It's more poetry than science.
(June 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What exactly does "All life is one" mean? How has science shown this? Life isn't one at all; there are various forms of life. Sorry but I just don't get what you are saying concerning shamans knowing things before science...

Well, we all came from one cell that divided itself over and over and then evolution and so forth...so, sure.

Tiberius Wrote:"Love is power" isn't a scientific statement at all. When did scientists publish papers on love/power exactly? It's more poetry than science.

o_o I'm sorry about that last statement. I wasn't thinking clearly.
I apologize.
I was high off of weed when I wrote that last night, and today I wanted to share it with you guys. I just now realized how silly it sounds...

I'm sorry, again. D:
We didn't necessarily come from one cell. It could have been many cells that appeared over a long period of time in different places on Earth.

Nevertheless, to say that abiogenesis and evolution can be summed up as "All life is one" is ambitious at best. I guess it is down to interpretation, just like the various prophecies that people claim Nostrodamus made. If you take the prophecy at base value, it is meaningless. If you interpret it in a certain way, suddenly it gains meaning, but it just begs the question: Why didn't the original author write it in a way that was unambiguous and stated the meaning clearly.

The phrase "All life is one", to me, seems to describe all life on Earth sharing the same thing, whether it be presence or consciousness or whatever.

A good way to test prophecies is to invert them and see if they still make sense. For instance, imagine that instead of "All life is one", we had "All life is many". Does "All life is many" make sense? Well, yes it does if you interpret it a different way.
Quote:That is a physical, very true fact.

(1) "A true fact" is redundant,something is either a fact or it is not. As is "very true". Something is either true or it is not,it cannot be "very true".

(2) I am as yet unconvinced that your claim is right in an absolute sense, especially because science does not make claims of absolutes.

There is also the small problem of definitions.
Another point of the beginning singled cell organism was that it was a much simpler cell and could change very easily.

I'm not 100% sure of the "Exact" meaning behind "All life is one"..... I could interrupt this in many, many ways.

Is it saying that we are all connected in the essence of, Energy, Mass, Both????

Or does it have more of a spiritual "Pagan" type meaning? (Especially coming from the Shaman)...
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(June 7, 2009 at 8:41 pm)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: All life is one.
Love is power.

Sorry if I'm being vague. D: I'm trying to express this as much as I can, trying to get across the information.

IMO that sounds like wishful thinking (aka BS).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(June 8, 2009 at 1:52 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(June 7, 2009 at 8:41 pm)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: All life is one.
Love is power.

IMO that sounds like wishful thinking (aka BS).

Kyu

Agree with you.

All life is one? As Kyu say, it's sounds a bit BS to me too. It's nothing that say that all life is one.

Love is power? In what way?
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Foxaèr 20 3589 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? Rhondazvous 153 20597 July 21, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me! TheMonster 13 3265 July 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Scientists are FUN! bennyboy 0 704 June 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9785 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Scientists on trial Epimethean 20 3778 October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  Scientists circumvent heisenbergs uncertainty principle downbeatplumb 1 3165 June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  ''Yes, Scientists believe in God''. CoxRox 44 16507 December 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc