Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me!
Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me!
How do liberal Christian scientists reconcile their Religion and their work?
Surly they believe in God, Jesus, miracles, the virgin Birth, the Egyptian slaves and Noah (as a local event).

How do they do it? Do they not realize that this is all bullshit?
RE: Liberal Christain Scientists puzzle me!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I see, but that is illogical isnt it?
Religious minds are instinctively capable of cherry-picking ideas while blocking everything else including reality and stubbornly following those ideas, and these qualities aid greatly in their "scientific" endeavours.

Or

They are just there to lend their names to "arguments from authority" and in-turn earn fat pay-checks.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Most of them I've encountered tend to see the vast majority of scripture as being allegorical or previous interpretations being horribly misread. Take Paul against homosexuality for instance, in the Middle Ages most thought that was against all forms of homosexuality whereas today most Liberal Christians would claim it was against raping young male slaves which at the time wasn't an uncommon past time in the Hellenistic world. They see themselves as being more "educated" about the context, and because of that they're more rational than other believers in their minds.

There's also a small minority who claim the bible isn't inspired, and is just a repository of devotional literature with value but not the source of absolute law. It tends to attract a small minority of intellectuals but not the masses.

It's not that hard to do, plenty of people convince themselves that those new Aloe Vera drinks are good for their health despite the fact they're proven to be carcinogenic.
Liberal Christians rock, they're much better than devout Christian Tongue
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

despite being blaspheming apostates . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Who cares? As long as they can talk about normal topics without mentioning god all the time, I'm cool.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

They still send in their checks to support the (choose all that apply) *corrupt hierarchy *legislative activists *misogynists *racists *phobes *molesters * cretins * elder financial abusers * 'sturbs * dolts *pervs

back in the home office.

If pressed to be more faithful to the faith, they might drop it entirely.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 13, 2015 at 8:04 am)TheMonster Wrote: Surly they believe in God, Jesus, miracles, the virgin Birth, the Egyptian slaves and Noah (as a local event).

That's a pretty broad brush to paint all christians. You don't even have to be a scientist to not believe in the virgin birth, and the mega bullshit surrounding the exodus and the flood. Most christians I know of or know personally don't take these things literal.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientists detect mystery radio signal from nearby star Foxaèr 20 3591 August 13, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is There a Difference Between Trusting Scientists and Trusting Preachers? Rhondazvous 153 20687 July 21, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Scientists are FUN! bennyboy 0 705 June 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9857 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Scientists on trial Epimethean 20 3796 October 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: LunchBox
  Scientists circumvent heisenbergs uncertainty principle downbeatplumb 1 3169 June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  Shamans and Scientists Tabby 28 12551 July 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit
  ''Yes, Scientists believe in God''. CoxRox 44 16534 December 28, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc