Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a Closet Atheist
I'm a Closet Atheist
Hi, my name is Cecelia and I'm a closet atheist.  I'm 30 years old, but will be 31 in October.  I'm getting old =/

I was raised Catholic, but started to doubt god around the time I started dating my now husband.  I switched to non-denominational Christian, but the truth was I was just fooling myself.  I didn't really get that I was an atheist at the time.  The more I read the bible, the more I not only doubted god, but the more I didn't want the Abrahamic God to exist.  The Abrahamic god was a misogynist, a psychopath, and not someone who I wanted to exist.  So I guess I fit the stereotype of someone who 'hates god'.  I'd say it's more accurate that I hate the things that god is said to have done.  You know, hate the sin, not the sinner.  Except you can't hate someone who doesn't exist in the first place.

I'm a high school History teacher, which is one of the reasons I'm in the closet about my Atheism.  I'm worried if the wrong people find out, I could be fired.  I'll be starting my eighth year of teaching this year.  I had to hide a lot about who I was in my interview process.  Which really sucked, especially since my boss was my old High School Vice Principal.

My husband does know I'm an Atheist.  He's one too.  Most of my friends know.  But our families don't.  My side of the family isn't really a problem.  My mom's probably an Atheist.  Not my dad though.  It's my husband's side of the family that's big into religion.  His father is your classic Wrath of God type Christian.  He thinks if you do something bad, god will destroy your house.  A lot of his beliefs are totally backwards.  And he's immune to logic.  To him, being an atheist is a worse sin than murder.  And working on Sunday is definitely among the worst things you can do.  Just to give an example of his 'logic'

"What about people born in Africa?  They don't know about Jesus, so how can they be expected to believe in him?"

"They can pray about it."

At which point I wanted to bang my head against the wall.  We haven't even told any of our kids that we're atheists because they might say something to him.  He's one of those people who if found out would NOT leave us alone.  And the rest of my husband's family isn't a whole lot better. 

My neighbor Divinity told me about this place, and I thought it'd be a good idea to join a place where I can be more open about who I am.  Christians are so worried about their religious liberty, and then treat atheists the way they do.  It's nice to meet you all.
RE: I'm a Closet Atheist
Welcome Cecelia!

I'm glad Divinity told you about us heathens.

I hope you join in on the discussions and find a home here among the heathen horde. Tongue
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Hi, I'm one of the few rational people in a very large clan of Southern Baptists (at best, snake handlers at worst). Keep a low profile for your own safety. God won't mind.
Welcome! And have a nice stay.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Welcome!! Welcome

May you be able to come out of that closet soon...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 30, 2015 at 12:17 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I'm a high school History teacher, which is one of the reasons I'm in the closet about my Atheism.  I'm worried if the wrong people find out, I could be fired. 

That's sad.

Welcome.

I know it's not much of a help, but if they would fire you, they would break the law in doing so. At least in most countries I know of.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Hey Cecelia, welcome Smile

That's very sad you have to keep your atheism hidden, but I totally understand. People clearly find atheists threatening to their ludicrous belief systems when they feel the need to hound us about it.

I'm sure you'll fit in well here, especially since you come with the divinity seal of approval!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm sure it is illegal. I don't think it'd stop them from trying though. And of course the religious right want to weaken teachers unions, so that we don't have protections from things like that. They don't want an Atheist teaching their children. They could be fine with me one moment, then as soon as they learned I didn't believe in the Abrahamic God, they'd do a 180. I'm sure some of them hate that I teach the Treaty of Tripoli, and that the US wasn't founded as a Christian Nation. But I think it's important for students to learn, especially since it has a relation to the first amendment. Many people hate the idea of the separation of Church and State. They want the state to stay out of the church's business, but want the Church to run the state.
Quote:His father is your classic Wrath of God type Christian.  He thinks if you do something bad, god will destroy your house.  A lot of his beliefs are totally backwards.  And he's immune to logic.  To him, being an atheist is a worse sin than murder.  And working on Sunday is definitely among the worst things you can do.  Just to give an example of his 'logic'

So why bother with him?  This honor thy father and mother shit is bible-based too.  If the guy is as big an asshole as you say then you'll never change him.  People who shut out their families because of the invisible sky-daddy do not deserve to be treated with respect.  If you can't talk about mundane stuff ( the weather, sports, etc.) then avoid him.  Don't let his problems be your problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here, still in the closet! okccannon 17 3107 October 3, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  Closet Atheist that loves to debate JesusShaves 17 6732 May 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Thumbs Up Out of the closet Atheist Xyster 12 3946 August 28, 2009 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Darwinian