Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(why) do you tithe?
(why) do you tithe?
something i never understood. when christians tithe, who do they make the check out to? have you ever asked where the money goes? it seems like such an obvious hustle, that i have to be missing something. i blindly pay 10% of my "gross" pay and don't ask questions? no ma'am.

btw, i'm not looking to badmouth, i really want to know. i know a lot of xtians and they say how bad people are with wasting money, so i'm trying to clarify if this is pure hypocrisy.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
RE: (why) do you tithe?
I believe in many cases that it is pulled directly out of their pay. You don't even have to write a check. It's pretty fucking ludicrous.
holy shit, they garnish your pay - like a federal agency or the irs? well, i guess it's voluntary and not garnishment, but i hope it's before taxes at least (for the person's benefit).
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
There's an old joke about the collection plate but it could equally well apply to tithes as well. The priest takes the money into the back room after the service, says something along the lines of "Almighty God, here is today's offering which I now give to you". Then after throwing the money up in the air, he pockets whatever God sends back.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
My father wrote a check to the church every month his entire adult life. When asked, he simply says, "gotta keep the lights on."

Apparently god's power doesn't actually include keeping the power on.
[Image: Evolution.png]

yeah that would be how it (apparently) works stimbo.

pretty cut and dry right there cinjin. haha. so it was made out to the church then and not some central entity.
Let George Carlin explain it.....

"He needs money!"
(May 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm)jackman Wrote: something i never understood. when christians tithe, who do they make the check out to?
To a church to a ministry sometimes to people, It all depends on what they/we are called to do.

Quote:have you ever asked where the money goes?
You would not be a very good steward if you didn't.

Quote:it seems like such an obvious hustle, that i have to be missing something. i blindly pay 10% of my "gross" pay and don't ask questions? no ma'am.
A steward is someone who responsiable for something that belongs to another, in this case money. Which means he is responsiable for knowing where his master's money is going.

What use does the lord of the cosmos have for money, and why would the representatives of such a being find themselves so strapped for cash? Why not worship in your homes? Surely a literalist so well read on the matter would be able to find ample "biblical support" for such a practice? A temple is a pretty pagan holdover for your religion to carry around. Tiny little gods needed houses, that's where they were and where they lived you see. Yours is everywhere (or so I'm told). Obviously these temples are built for men, not god. But then one has to ask, why would we require an intermediary, isn't the whole point to have a personal relationship?

Tithing is a fucking scam meant to support the business of religion, not the practice of religion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:What use does the lord of the cosmos have for money

And he doesn't seem to care if its dollars, euros, shekels, or yen.

He doesn't like American Express though....fees are too high!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remember To Always Tithe! wolf39us 18 5786 August 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: genkaus