Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any secular reason why being gay is bad?
Is there any secular reason why being gay is bad?
Is there and Secular reason why being gay is bad. not religious reasons, any not religious arguments?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Is there any secular reason why being gay is bad?
(May 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Is there and Secular reason why being gay is bad. not religious reasons, any not religious arguments?

Yes, but it only qualifies if too many people are gay. If too large a portion of the population is gay (and I mean a HUGE percentage), then the human race would die out. However, since this is obviously not the case, gay marriage is in fact beneficial. Gay couples can adopt kids which is beneficial, and that means that fewer people are causing the world to overpopulate, and overpopulation is becoming a serious problem
(May 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Is there and Secular reason why being gay is bad. not religious reasons, any not religious arguments?

Yeah, but they are all bigoted and self-serving. Even the answer above mine assumes that the human race dying out is inherently "bad," or at least worse than going against one's own sexuality.
(May 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm)Shell B Wrote:

Yeah, but they are all bigoted and self-serving. Even the answer above mine assumes that the human race dying out is inherently "bad," or at least worse than going against one's own sexuality.

This is true, it's just the best thing I could think of. And even assuming ones race dying out is inherently bad, it ignores the possibility of artificial insemination.
(May 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm)libalchris Wrote: This is true, it's just the best thing I could think of. And even assuming ones race dying out is inherently bad, it ignores the possibility of artificial insemination.

I was about to bring that artificial insemination up and also surrogate pregnancy, but yeah. You got it covered.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
So to sum it up for the OP:

No.
Being one, how really unfortunate it might be, isn't really their choice so being homosexual can't be helped. But it can adapt itself to the environment around them. That is what I expect from any person, homosexuals included. Be in harmony with society.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Being a homosexual is in no way "unfortunate". You are who you are, you love who you love. There are people in the world who don't share your heterosexual attractions. Deal with it.
(May 14, 2012 at 3:32 am)Tiberius Wrote: Being a homosexual is in no way "unfortunate". You are who you are, you love who you love. There are people in the world who don't share your heterosexual attractions. Deal with it.

On the same accord, being deaf or mute isn't unfortunate either, yes?
But enough is enough. I will not debate on this subject any further as it's getting a bit boring.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 14, 2012 at 4:08 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
(May 14, 2012 at 3:32 am)Tiberius Wrote: Being a homosexual is in no way "unfortunate". You are who you are, you love who you love. There are people in the world who don't share your heterosexual attractions. Deal with it.

On the same accord, being deaf or mute isn't unfortunate either, yes?
But enough is enough. I will not debate on this subject any further as it's getting a bit boring.

nobody asked you to.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3414 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3806 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 760 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1260 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3017 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7034 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  No reason justifies disbelief. Catharsis 468 40904 March 30, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30116 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Why are there barely any teens on AF? DodosAreDead 22 3376 July 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8647 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead