Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly 1,000 Pakistani women were victims of honour killings last year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-year.html
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Nearly 1,000 Pakistani women were victims of honour killings last year
I bet xtians are envious.
This makes me incredibly sad. Religion is just a justification or inspiration for violence.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Disgusting.
The thing is I think the article may be bullshit in that I don't think they have any real idea how many honor killings are done in that country. I suspect it is much much more. I think the article was written so it could be shared via social media and other means. Notice how short the article is and how easy it is to read. I think the article's purpose is to raise awareness and (hopefully) prod people into action. Though I prefer accurate news stories I shared the article anyway on my FB page. I know too many people who cringe at my insensitivity to Islam.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

the Men who do this deserve nothing more then to be castrated with a spoon and sent to jail for life.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
(May 15, 2012 at 6:36 pm)Annik Wrote: This makes me incredibly sad. Religion is just a justification or inspiration for violence.

Sometimes. Sometimes it's inspiration for artwork, self-improvement and helping others. Even though I think that the religious motivation to do 'good' things comes from poor reasoning, there's no denying that it's there.
Is there any basis for such killings in the Koran, or is this just good old fashioned misogyny dressed up as religion?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The latter because according to my knowledge, there is no such thing as "honor killing" in Islam as this is not something based on the Quran, Hadiths, nor any other Islamic texts.

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-s...ctive.html
Yet it seems to happen over and over.....

http://www.islamist-watch.org/928/does-i...r-killings

Quote:Honor killings are justified under Islam in some Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia. For example, tenth-grade textbooks teach Saudi children that it is permissible to kill adulterers. In April 2008, a girl was killed by her father for talking to a boy on Facebook, an online social networking website. A leading Saudi cleric, Sheikh Ali al-Maliki, was outraged that girls had access to such websites where they could post pictures of themselves and otherwise "behave badly," but showed no concern over the girl actually killed.

Honor killings are justified as a necessary part of culture in other Muslim countries such as Jordan, which is technically a secular kingdom with a representative parliament. In 2001 King Abdallah presented a bill outlining stiff penalties for honor killings, but parliament rejected it, stating, "it [punishing honor killings] would encourage adultery and create new social problems." Four years later, honor killings accounted for one-third of all violent deaths in Jordan in 2005, where perpetrators received as little as six months in prison under the penal code.

Secular Iraq offers no punishment. Consider the following anecdotal evidence. This year, a 17-year-old named Rand Abdel-Qader was killed by her father because she had a crush on a British soldier. The arresting Iraqi sergeant stated that "not much can be done when we have an 'honor killing' case. You are in a Muslim society and women should live under religious laws." The father also killed his wife, who left him after the murder of their daughter. He will not be prosecuted for either murder in Iraq.

Perhaps this is a chicken and egg question, Rayaan. Does "Islam" create barbarous societies or do barbarous societies embrace Islam?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Women-Life-Freedom Movement in Iran Leonardo17 69 6346 April 7, 2023 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Iran dancing couple given 10-year jail sentence zebo-the-fat 11 1830 February 19, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  [Quranic Reflection]: The tranquillity men find in women and women find in men WinterHold 62 8064 October 22, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Quranic Reflection]: Women have the right to state their own rights in the marriage WinterHold 34 4716 June 30, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Pakistani academic Junaid Hafeez has just been sentenced to death on blasphemy charge Fake Messiah 2 780 December 22, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Beating women in Islam WinterHold 255 39275 April 9, 2019 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A six-year old child was beheaded outside Prophet's mosque in Medina yragnitup 12 1911 February 10, 2019 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Saudi cleric says women too stupid to drive zebo-the-fat 38 7060 September 30, 2017 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Women allowed to dive in Saudi Arabia; more talk WinterHold 2 1276 September 28, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Niqab and Muslim Women WinterHold 34 9515 August 31, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: chimp3