Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyramids/Face of Cydonia and Tubes on Mars
Pyramids/Face of Cydonia and Tubes on Mars
I know the majority of you will just dismiss these things as humans just, "seeing what they want to see", but what if what we're seeing is really what is there? Is it possible that Mars had some form of sentient life living on it long before humans were capable of looking to the cosmos? Perhaps the face of Cydonia was an attempt to make contact, they could see us (or our more apelike ancestors) and made a structure in our likeness in hopes that we would see it. It's possible that they were not yet space faring and were wiped out long before contact was ever made.

Face:
[Image: 29210-cydonia_face_mars.jpg]

I am aware that there have been studies done on this and people say it's just a matter of shadow play and that's certainly entirely possible and more likely.

Near the face though we have these rock formations which appear to be artificial, some have called them pyramids:
[Image: cydred.jpg]

There are no other rocks like this in the area and they are only found near the "face". Could just be coincidence.

Now, these do intrigue me and I'm interested to find out what they are when we finally land on Mars. These have been called glass tubes as they appear to be translucent and have some form of supports on the inside:
[Image: mars.jpg]

Thoughts?
RE: Pyramids/Face of Cydonia and Tubes on Mars
I don't think Mars could ever of had life. Isn't it just too far away from the sun?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(May 17, 2012 at 11:05 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I don't think Mars could ever of had life. Isn't it just too far away from the sun?

It's really not, if we could terraform Mars it is entirely habitable by humans. It even has a roughly 24 hour day.

"Surface temperatures have been estimated from the Viking Orbiter Infrared Thermal Mapper data; this gives extremes from a warmest of 27 °C (81 °F) to −143 °C (−225 °F) at the winter polar caps."

Edit: You're also assuming that all life has to meet the exact requirements of life as we know it.
(May 17, 2012 at 11:08 am)Mosrhun Wrote:
(May 17, 2012 at 11:05 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I don't think Mars could ever of had life. Isn't it just too far away from the sun?

It's really not, if we could terraform Mars it is entirely habitable by humans. It even has a roughly 24 hour day.

"Surface temperatures have been estimated from the Viking Orbiter Infrared Thermal Mapper data; this gives extremes from a warmest of 27 °C (81 °F) to −143 °C (−225 °F) at the winter polar caps."

Ah, well there's your problem. Too cold! Or is the equator a more reasonable temperature?

Is it Mars that scientists think used to have an atmosphere but it eventually dissipated? I used to know so much about this stuff..
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Cydonia looks more like a sloth than a human.

I would not rule out the chance that Mars once had or even has life. I don't think the above pictures are even a hint of that, though.
(May 17, 2012 at 11:13 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Is it Mars that scientists think used to have an atmosphere but it eventually dissipated? I used to know so much about this stuff..

Something like that, yes.
Well, Mars' soil is capable of supporting plant life so it's possible that it had some at one point. Also, it's only "too cold" in the polar ice caps. Did you see the other temperature there of around 81 degrees? Pretty comfortable. I would imagine that terraforming it and adding plant life would help warm the planet as well.
(May 17, 2012 at 11:13 am)Shell B Wrote: Cydonia looks more like a sloth than a human.

Or an early hominid that they observed and attempted to replicate. ;P
Quote:Edit: You're also assuming that all life has to meet the exact requirements of life as we know it.
Hmm yes and no. I think a planet could be somewhat more 'harsh' but I think there's only so much any 'being' could take. For example, if the temperature all around Mars is really between -143 to 27C then I find it hard to imagine a species being able to survive such different extremes.
You might want to look up the more recent, high-resolution photos of Cydonia.
(May 17, 2012 at 11:16 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
Quote:Edit: You're also assuming that all life has to meet the exact requirements of life as we know it.
Hmm yes and no. I think a planet could be somewhat more 'harsh' but I think there's only so much any 'being' could take. For example, if the temperature all around Mars is really between -143 to 27C then I find it hard to imagine a species being able to survive such different extremes.

An earth like atmosphere would raise the temperatures and so would dense forests. 81 degrees is hardly unlivable.

@Cthulhu, as I stated I'm aware that there are higher res photos and that numerous studies have been done on it. It still has a few distinct features and we have no idea how old this thing is. I'm not saying I believe it, just bored and wanted to strike up a conversation.

What about the tube like structures? What's you take on that?
Quote:An earth like atmosphere would raise the temperatures and so would dense forests. 81 degrees is hardly unlivable.
Yeah but my point is that the range in temperature is huge. You would have to combine a sort of tropical animal with the coat of a polar bear x2 to survive that. I'm no expert on animals or biology, but my gut feeling tells me the features a species would need to have would be pretty incompatible and useless whenever the temperature isn't at the relative value for that feature to be useful.

The (possibly) pre-existing atmosphere would have changed the entire climate though. So, who knows really!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life on Mars is looking tempting. ignoramus 40 6007 December 6, 2019 at 6:06 am
Last Post: ThinkingIsThinking
  Moon is part of Mars Anomalocaris 79 6462 June 17, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Mars Yonadav 36 2052 February 19, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Body Of Water Discovered On Mars A Theist 4 941 July 26, 2018 at 6:32 am
Last Post: A Theist
  NASA denies mars child slave colony Zen Badger 22 5938 July 2, 2017 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Mars? jem304eyer 86 18357 January 21, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mars Mission in Jeopardy Rahul 10 4294 October 8, 2013 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Stay tuned for news from the NASA's Curiosity Mars rover Anomalocaris 9 7257 November 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The latest from Mars rover Curiosity Jackalope 1 1856 August 30, 2012 at 1:48 am
Last Post: ib.me.ub
  Mars science laboratory Curiosity set for lift off popeyespappy 7 3275 November 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious