Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:47 pm

Poll: Do you support the legal recognition of multiple partner marriages?
This poll is closed.
Yes
57.38%
35 57.38%
No
22.95%
14 22.95%
Undecided
19.67%
12 19.67%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do you support the legalisation of polyagmy and polyandry
Do you support the legalisation of polyagmy and polyandry
With all the discussion of legally recognizing same sex marriages, I feel in my opinion the legal recognition of multiple partner marriages will be the next step.

My $0.02 on the subject, I am not a fan of the polygamous marriages which are allowed by the Islamic religion. Since that often leads to the oppression of women. However I cant think of any moral objection to legally recognizing multiple partner, so long as it is between mutually consenting adults.
undefined
RE: Do you support the legalisation of polyagmy and polyandry
I don't think the typical problems of multiple partner marriages have anything to do with the marriages themselves. The problem's all the baggage, typically religious, that comes along with it. I'm for legalizing them in theory, but I don't have nearly enough information on exactly what sort of harm is often caused in these marriages to make an educated decision. How routinely are people oppressed in these marriages? Are the families typically financially solvent, or do they often need assistance from the government? I don't know even know what other questions to ask, but I'm sure there are many. My position on legalizing them would all come down to how much real-world harm they cause.
Yes. I think there could be some serious problems with the marriage (but then again, who am I to say that?) but I feel it should be legal. It's consenting adults, it's their choice.
(May 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm)Justtristo Wrote: With all the discussion of legally recognizing same sex marriages, I feel in my opinion the legal recognition of multiple partner marriages will be the next step.

My $0.02 on the subject, I am not a fan of the polygamous marriages which are allowed by the Islamic religion. Since that often leads to the oppression of women. However I cant think of any moral objection to legally recognizing multiple partner, so long as it is between mutually consenting adults.

Have you ever heard of the FLDS? It's literally an article of faith that a man cannot get into heaven without at least three wives, even though, even if you accept Joseph Smith's teachings as authoritiative, even he admitted that polygamy was only for a select few.

That said, I don't see any real objection to polygamy in itself, certainly no reason to ban it.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm)Justtristo Wrote: With all the discussion of legally recognizing same sex marriages, I feel in my opinion the legal recognition of multiple partner marriages will be the next step.

I have no moral objection to it, so long as it is between one men (me), and many women.

Big Grin
Quote:and many women.

That's what college is for. Being married to a whole gaggle of women would be my definition of hell.
(May 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Being married to a whole gaggle of women would be my definition of hell.

Nah, they'd use cat fights to keep each other in check. Big Grin

If polygamy is customary, then having a gaggle of women doesn't mean one of them can take you for you half of all that you own, so their bargaining power decreases exponentially.

Cool Shades

I've watched quite a few documentaries about polygamous relationships, and often wondered if I was in the minority thinking that it's not necessarily a bad thing. As others have said, as long as it's between consenting adults I don't see why it's a problem - in fact I can see quite a lot of benefits to the idea. For one, there are more adults to share the housework/childminding duties; as far as the kids are concerned, the chance of getting a "I'm too busy to help you right now" response would be drastically reduced; there will always be someone you can talk to if you're having problems; and if one of your partners is too tired/has a headache/is pissed at you for something, you don't have to share a bed with them.

I don't plan on ever getting married so it doesn't really affect me in any way, but if it works for you, have at it! Big Grin
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
No, I do not.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(May 22, 2012 at 12:59 am)Chuck Wrote:
(May 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Being married to a whole gaggle of women would be my definition of hell.

Nah, they'd use cat fights to keep each other in check. Big Grin

If polygamy is customary, then having a gaggle of women doesn't mean one of them can take you for you half of all that you own, so their bargaining power decreases exponentially.

Cool Shades

Never spent a day with a gaggle of women around, eh Chuck?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation I NEED logical support... rsngfrce 127 14711 June 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  why don't atheists support scientology? leodeo 114 28676 November 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: IAmNotHere
  Why do they SUPPORT me??? Chris.Roth 3 1637 May 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Chris.Roth
  Support for Geert Wilders political party explodes after british expulsion. leo-rcc 9 5097 February 22, 2009 at 9:03 am
Last Post: bozo