Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transit of Venus
Star 
Transit of Venus
[Image: HSJFl.jpg]

June 5-6!!!

There are details, including eye safety instructions here:

http://www.transitofvenus.org/

Smile

Re: Transit of Venus
Weather permitting, it will be a great view from NZ (10:45 - 16:30 local time).
I have no problem sharing a common ancestor with the apes; it's being related to some people that bothers me.
RE: Transit of Venus
Such a rare event, next is not expected to happen till 2117. We are so lucky that this is happening in our lifetime to witness this.

And in other news, xtians prayed once again.
Thanks for sharing! This is incredible!
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Weather permitting, I am planning to take time lapsed photos of the event (we won't see all of it where I live but will see about 2.5 hours of it), and string the photos into a video. Wish me luck. I'll post it, if it works out. If not, I'll probably buy a large bottle of beer and drown my sorrows. Smile
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
We, in Fiji, are perfectly placed to watch this event for its full duration. I remember reading from history books that Captain Cook was sent to the Pacific in 1700s to witness and document this same event. Sad thing is that Fiji does not have the proper observatories to watch this event, so I am gonna try streaming this over the net.
It won't be seen here in Portugal, so I expect good images from you lucky bastards.
There's an app for that.

Excited for this.
I'm gonna bring this back up. Anybody seeing this? It's awesome!
(June 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm)libalchris Wrote: I'm gonna bring this back up. Anybody seeing this? It's awesome!

I got 146 images of the event before the sun went down. Some are very interesting. I will stitch them together into a time lapsed video and will post a link to it when I am finished. Stay tuned.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1476 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Japanese satellite captures transit of Venus fuckass365 2 1879 June 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: jackman
  Venus profile from one of my transit images orogenicman 7 3434 June 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: jackman
  Crescent Venus orogenicman 7 2440 May 25, 2012 at 6:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Venus has an ozone layer downbeatplumb 6 1731 October 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Jackalope