Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venus profile from one of my transit images
Venus profile from one of my transit images
I obtained a detailed profile of Venus from one of my transit images. It reveals some interesting aspects about the planet:

[Image: Venus_profilea-1.jpg]

Immediately noticable is how non-circular it is in profile. In addition, note how flat it is in the southwest quadrant as opposed to the northeast. Also, you can see huge mountains (at about 5:30 and 11:00) and deep valleys (particularly at 9:00 and 3:30) and generally a very uneven surface, much more uneven than the Earth is in profile (of course, the profile of the Earth is much subdued because of the presence of the oceans - even so, Venus' profile indicates a huge range of topography). And finally, note that you can see features in the atmosphere, the haze that surrounds the planet in this image. Also note that relative to its size, Venus' atmosphere is much thicker than Earth's, and much more turbulant and uneven in it's apparent thickness. That's one messed up planet, for sure.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Venus profile from one of my transit images
Bitchin' picture!
Cunt
Have you corrected for the distortion of our atmosphere?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
your pic is awesome man. i was wondering if the shape was as represented here or if there was something that caused the distortion. very cool.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Atmospheric turbulence (ours), most likely. Venus is an oblate spheroid, similar to Earth.
Folks, I make a huge mistake. That image is due to atmospheric distortion. I didn't believe it because if it was, it was the worst distortion I've seen. Well, that's exactly what it was. My apologies. I feel very stupid, but I guess that's why they call this "amatuer" astronomy.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 8, 2012 at 10:15 am)orogenicman Wrote: Immediately noticable is how non-circular it is in profile. In addition, note how flat it is in the southwest quadrant as opposed to the northeast. Also, you can see huge mountains (at about 5:30 and 11:00) and deep valleys (particularly at 9:00 and 3:30) and generally a very uneven surface, much more uneven than the Earth is in profile (of course, the profile of the Earth is much subdued because of the presence of the oceans - even so, Venus' profile indicates a huge range of topography). And finally, note that you can see features in the atmosphere, the haze that surrounds the planet in this image. Also note that relative to its size, Venus' atmosphere is much thicker than Earth's, and much more turbulant and uneven in it's apparent thickness. That's one messed up planet, for sure.

Actually, Venus has somewhat less topographic relief compared to the earth. If an image of the entire earth is the height of your entire computer monitor screen set to 1776X1000 pixels , the highest mountain on earth would be less than one pixel high, and deepest valley much less than 1 pixel deep compare to surrounding terrain. The true topological deviation from spheriod of any major planet can not be discerned by eye in an image sized to fit your monitor .

Only with Jupitor and Saturn can you easily discern by eye centrifugal deviation from spheriod of the equatorial bulge. Earth's equatorial bulge would be only about 2 pixles high. You would not be able to see it in a monitor sized image. Venus has practically no rotation. So it has no equatorial bulge. It's as close to a perfect sphere as you can get amongst the planets.
orogenicman, that's still an awesome pic and i'm glad you shared.

chuck, that's a helluva bit of info ... and cool.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1488 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Images Of Pluto From 7,750 Miles A Theist 24 4782 July 25, 2015 at 2:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  For Orogenicman: Best Astronomy Images 2012 thesummerqueen 1 1655 December 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Atomic bond types discernible in single-molecule images Tino 0 1312 September 15, 2012 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Tino
  New hi-def images from Mars Cyberman 30 10892 September 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Japanese satellite captures transit of Venus fuckass365 2 1886 June 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: jackman
Star Transit of Venus Erinome 24 6446 June 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Crescent Venus orogenicman 7 2440 May 25, 2012 at 6:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New images of Saturn’s moons from Cassini popeyespappy 5 2472 December 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Venus has an ozone layer downbeatplumb 6 1731 October 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Jackalope