Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morgan Freeman on Morning Joe just now.
Morgan Freeman on Morning Joe just now.
Morning Joe is the morning show on MSNBC, Freeman was a guest just now.

It was a mixed bag for me. Freeman has a diplomatic nature in public and a soft tone personality with the public. So it seemed while he interjected his atheism with "Did we invent god?" He did not directly say "I don't believe".

He promoted the Science Channel, which I liked. I hope that channel doesn't go corporate and sell garbage like "History" does.

But he did postulate some woo that did give me a lip twitch. To the question of "can we live forever" and he said "maybe".

No I think that is going to far in a couple of respects. EVEN if WE get to the point of being able to replicate organs to the point of replacing them, atoms still have a shelf life. And has anyone ever tried fixing the same damned thing over and over. No matter how many times your fix the same thing, it still wears out over time.

BUT EVEN IF, you still have disease and violence not to mention the planet will die, so no, nothing lasts forever. I can see us evolving and creating medical technology to extend our lifespans, yes. But no, there will never be a "forever" for life or any object in the universe.

But agian the best part of that interview was "did we invent god?" YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! THANK YOU MORGAN!
RE: Morgan Freeman on Morning Joe just now.
(June 6, 2012 at 7:54 am)Brian37 Wrote: No I think that is going to far in a couple of respects. EVEN if WE get to the point of being able to replicate organs to the point of replacing them, atoms still have a shelf life. And has anyone ever tried fixing the same damned thing over and over. No matter how many times your fix the same thing, it still wears out over time.

My memory is pretty sketchy in this area (and I wasn't that knowledgeable to begin with), but is that to do with the Hayflick Limit? Isn't there a type of jellyfish that can avoid this and is essentially biologically immortal (though still susceptible to disease and physical trauma)?

(June 6, 2012 at 7:54 am)Brian37 Wrote: BUT EVEN IF, you still have disease and violence not to mention the planet will die, so no, nothing lasts forever. I can see us evolving and creating medical technology to extend our lifespans, yes. But no, there will never be a "forever" for life or any object in the universe.

Very true. Even if biological immortality could be achieved for humans, that still wouldn't necessarily make us invulnerable. Our bodies could still be destroyed, would still need to be fed, etc. Not to mention other side effects - what happens to memory when you're 2000 years old? Presumably the brain only has so much capacity. That being said, if we'd reached a stage where biologically immortally were possible, I guess one could suggest that maybe these problems wouldn't be quite the problems they are now. Perhaps we'd find ways to expand our memory capacity, for example. And the inconvenient problem of the end of the universe Big Grin

As for Morgan Freeman, I think he's alright. I don't particularly like or dislike him, although he seems like a nice enough guy. I remember finding a clip of him on youtube saying something I disagreed with though, I might try and find it.
We invented God and MF is it.
(June 6, 2012 at 7:54 am)Brian37 Wrote: But he did postulate some woo that did give me a lip twitch. To the question of "can we live forever" and he said "maybe".

No I think that is going to far in a couple of respects. EVEN if WE get to the point of being able to replicate organs to the point of replacing them, atoms still have a shelf life. And has anyone ever tried fixing the same damned thing over and over. No matter how many times your fix the same thing, it still wears out over time.

BUT EVEN IF, you still have disease and violence not to mention the planet will die, so no, nothing lasts forever. I can see us evolving and creating medical technology to extend our lifespans, yes. But no, there will never be a "forever" for life or any object in the universe.

Really? If conservation of energy is valid, is energy not forever? If indestructability of information, a corner stone of physics even the great Steven Hawkin rued challenging, is as valid as we think, then is not information also forever?

Does a particular menifestation of energy in the form of an atom necessarily have a shelf life? I believe all experiments to verify the predicted natural decay of protons have so far came up completely empty. We seem to have no reason to believe stable isotops have a finite life span.

Why is what defines who we are necessarily and inextricably tied to our bioilogical body, to our planet, or sun, or even what we might colloquially term our universe?

If we are the personalities and memories that defines us, who is to say this can not be transfered to a different device than our biological brain, and who is to say this could not be stored as data and replicated somewhere else, in a different body, on a different planet, around a different star, in something different from what we might colloquially term "our universe"?

So why in principle can an entity governed by something that started out as a human's current personality and current memories not go on without any definite end?

(June 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm)Tempus Wrote: Very true. Even if biological immortality could be achieved for humans, that still wouldn't necessarily make us invulnerable. Our bodies could still be destroyed, would still need to be fed, etc. Not to mention other side effects - what happens to memory when you're 2000 years old? Presumably the brain only has so much capacity. That being said, if we'd reached a stage where biologically immortally were possible, I guess one could suggest that maybe these problems wouldn't be quite the problems they are now. Perhaps we'd find ways to expand our memory capacity, for example. And the inconvenient problem of the end of the universe Big Grin

Why can't what started out as your brain be cybornically enhanced to be able to store and rapidly retrieve 2,000 years of memory, or 2,000,000,000 years of memory?

If the particular mechanisms (say your body and brain) which currently supports the thoughts and memories and personalities can be destroyed, why can't what defines your thought and memories and personalities not be backed up as data and restored to allow everything that defines you to continue past that that unfortumate destruction?

If the universe indeed ends, but if universe did originate as a quantum flucturation, who is to say it would be impossible for us to generate another such quantum flucturation, and tune its initial condition such that the information that defines us gets transmitted to the new universe, and new copy of us will arise in the new universe, allowing us to survive even the end of our own universe?

I think there is nothing in principle that would stop us living a overwhelmingly long period of time, only an nasty amount of technical, and therefore overcomeable, hurdles stand in the way.
Until you can take it into a lab, test it and falsify it, and get it independently tested and falsified and peer reviewed, the above statements about "what could be" should be rightfully relegated to mental masturbation.

I don't give atheists a pass either just because they are atheists. Speculation doesn't equate truth, it is merely an idea until it is confirmed. Star Trek does not count as science.
So, you abysmally strident ignorant little fool, what do you call your moronically positive assertions that "nothing is forever" when foreverness of energy and information forms the very basis of modern physics?
(June 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Until you can take it into a lab, test it and falsify it, and get it independently tested and falsified and peer reviewed, the above statements about "what could be" should be rightfully relegated to mental masturbation.

I don't give atheists a pass either just because they are atheists. Speculation doesn't equate truth, it is merely an idea until it is confirmed. Star Trek does not count as science.

Good luck arguing with Chuck on physics young padawan.
Thank you chuck, I was thinking something similar to what you said, but probably not at your level at all. Also with what I have read and heard. In this vast universe of what seems limitless possibilities of random generation and where sheer volume of chance and combination can make things possible. Does it not feel sometimes good to be so small and insignificant in all this? I think of living forever as just being part of this huge system. To be consumed by it in return as I have spent my time consuming it in both knowledge and pleasure over this blink of time. That all I am are just synapses and chemical combinations. That even my memories are something that I make every time I recall them so that nothing is really real anymore but how we interpret them. Why be concerned with retaining this image of who we are when we are constantly changing anyways. lol, I think I have strayed from the OP, but I started rambling and there was no turning back. Oh, and hope I didn't sound too spiritual there, I am most certainly not.
Morgan Freeman is an actor with an inoffensive persona,one might even say "bland and shallow". Why on earth should I care about anything he says about anything apart from acting ?Thinking
(June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm)Chuck Wrote:

Good points.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mid-Morning Of Civilization BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1267 December 16, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Just now on Facebook....... Brian37 10 1487 September 6, 2018 at 9:18 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Church of morgan freeman dyresand 14 1930 November 1, 2014 at 12:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  How I feel this morning vodkafan 11 2720 June 25, 2014 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Had an interview this morning... Mr. Moncrieff 55 9934 March 7, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Jackalope