Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is going to go over big....
This is going to go over big....
maybe herr von popenfuhrer will have a stroke?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/health...TE&ei=5043

Quote:For the first time, researchers have determined virtually the entire genome of a fetus using only a blood sample from the pregnant woman and a saliva specimen from the father.

The accomplishment heralds an era in which parents might find it easier to know the complete DNA blueprint of a child months before it is born.

That would allow thousands of genetic diseases to be detected prenatally. But the ability to know so much about an unborn child is likely to raise serious ethical considerations as well. It could increase abortions for reasons that have little to do with medical issues and more to do with parental preferences for traits in children.
RE: This is going to go over big....
I wonder how the "chosen" child would feel about all of this.
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
(June 7, 2012 at 1:47 am)Minimalist Wrote: maybe herr von popenfuhrer will have a stroke?

Only if you let him.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Very nice
Wish I was detected and aborted - which is why I never want to have kids
Never want to bring in another life to come suffer like me
I remember a TNG episode that dealt with this issue...the answer, you don't know what brilliance you're throwing away by aborting the undesirables.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(June 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm)Polaris Wrote: I remember a TNG episode that dealt with this issue...the answer, you don't know what brilliance you're throwing away by aborting the undesirables.

Damn dude nice
What us the atheist standpoint on abortion?
I always supported it as I am a liberal
But atheists make good point that potential is in everyone
This could be the ultimate paradox!
(June 7, 2012 at 2:07 am)C Rod Wrote: I wonder how the "chosen" child would feel about all of this.

Great, I imagine.
(June 7, 2012 at 2:07 am)C Rod Wrote: I wonder how the "chosen" child would feel about all of this.

Maybe something like "Wow so I'm my parents ideal child! That's cool!"

Jewish.
Battlewomb Gattaca!
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Bang purplepurpose 46 5391 October 21, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I thought this was going to be about gun violence. brewer 3 680 March 14, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1523 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco brewer 7 2049 December 2, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Noprophets
  Why Mike Pence is a big dummy. Jehanne 0 624 October 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Body shaming, and "My Big Fat Fabulous Life" Aroura 100 21883 August 5, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Going into Biology marianomanto 9 3346 October 1, 2015 at 6:21 am
Last Post: marianomanto
  Big Pharm is messing up my life Aroura 27 3397 May 12, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bill Nye Big Think, Creationism. 5thHorseman 4 2810 August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gambit
  We Are All Going To Starve Shinylight 26 9090 April 28, 2010 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human