Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first discovered?
first discovered?
muslim says quran was fst to describe earth is flat,moon has sunlight reflection,big bang,so on. Can anyone give me details?
RE: first discovered?
Moved thread to "Islam" subforum, the "Questions, Problems, Suggestions, and Feedback" forum is for site-related issues.
First to describe the Earth as flat? Was this intentional or just a typo?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 8, 2012 at 1:05 am)Stimbo Wrote: First to describe the Earth as flat? Was this intentional or just a typo?

If a typo,it's wrong.

As far as we know,learned people have never considered the earth to be flat. The reality was probably observed by a Babylonian astrologer about 1000 bce. By the time of Hellenistic Greece, it seems to have been universally accepted that world was a sphere.

As for who proved the fact empirically, nobody knows. Some would claim Ferdinand Magellan in 1519. My money is on Zheng He (1371-1433)
Quran also predict troll first.
Trying to update my sig ...
The Koran (or more appropriately it's authors) made no discoveries whatsoever. It amazes the shit out of me that text is viewed as a veritable book of shadows, an actual thing capable of magic and miracles. Next?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
i hv heard many tyms,a troll zakir naik,sayng,quran was the fst to tell abt big bang,earth is sphere,heliocenterism, moon has artificial light, billions of solar system,so on, mus claims evrythng true bec kuran has god words. God words?crap!!

(June 8, 2012 at 1:05 am)Stimbo Wrote: First to describe the Earth as flat? Was this intentional or just a typo?

Srry, as sphere.
I wouldn't put much faith in Zakir Naik if I were you. Nothing of what he says is true, nor even based on truth. He was banned from entering the UK in 2010 for his "unacceptable behaviour". RationalWiki has this, dismissively short, article about him: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zakir_Naik

In case anyone accuses me of posting only biased sources, here's another and much more comprehensive smackdown from a very religious organisation, who describe Naik as "a remarkable memory drive but has sloppy logic, a penchant for half-truths, and dangerously extremist views":
http://www.unchangingword.com/naik_refuted.php
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Um, the Greeks knew the earth was spherical about a thousand years before the Qu'ran was written.
(June 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Um, the Greeks knew the earth was spherical about a thousand years before the Qu'ran was written.

---and the Babylonians 500 years before THAT. It's a myth that learned people thought the earth was flat for at LEAST 3000 years. Who knows when say the Egyptians,Chinese or Indians worked that out?

Try this; go into the country,many miles from any city ,town and pollution,preferably a dessert. Look at a full moon. You will see a SPHERE with the naked eye. Perfectly reasonable to conclude the earth is also a sphere.