Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge new monumnet found at Petra - could this be what the first Mosques pointed to?
Huge new monumnet found at Petra - could this be what the first Mosques pointed to?
Petra, Jordan: Huge monument found 'hiding in plain sight'

Dan Gibson, the author of the book Quranic Geography, found out that Mosques built before about 720 did NOT have qibla towards Mecca - at all. And you can see see his finding by adding "markers" to Google Maps which can be downloaded at the link. For those interested in the book, here are the ISBN numbers (I really need to get the book, but it's expensive)
  • ISBN-10: 0973364289
  • ISBN-13: 978-0973364286
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36498234][/url]
So that got me thinking. We know from looking at early Mosques that they don't all face the direction of Mecca. But why? Petra was a great place of trade near to the silk road. So when people tell me, asserting from the traditions, that Mecca was a hub of trade are they really talking about Petra without realizing it?

RE: Huge new monumnet found at Petra - could this be what the first Mosques pointed to?
Here:

http://religionresearchinstitute.org/mec...eology.htm

You can thank me later.
RE: Huge new monumnet found at Petra - could this be what the first Mosques pointed to?
I'm not really sure, Min. The Kaba is supposed to have been worshipped before monotheism in any shape or form arrived.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Yeah... and fucking jesus is supposed to have come back from the dead, too.  I don't put too much stock in any religious claims that cannot be supported by evidence.
Yeah, I stand corrected. Arabian history isn't my strong suit. I looked up my own sources and they all speak of Mecca being founded by Yemenite migrants in the 4th century.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Dr. Rafat Amari is great. I've heard of them before. Thanks for th link. I can't remember, though, if he's the one who said that all of the events of the Quran actually happened in North Arabia.

(June 10, 2016 at 7:27 pm)abaris Wrote: I'm not really sure, Min. The Kaba is supposed to have been worshipped before monotheism in any shape or form arrived.

How they get to that conclusion is the assert, based on the content of a couple of verses in the Quran (which have no historical basis whatsoever)

Quran 2:127 "And when Abraham and Ishmael were raising the foundations of the House, (Abraham prayed): Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty). Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower."

and

Quran 3:26 The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka: Full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings:

Whenever the Quran says Bakka they like to twist it and say it's referring to the Valley of Becca from the Bible. This is silly. There is no archeological evidence supporting either verse.

(June 11, 2016 at 4:30 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Dr. Rafat Amari is great. I've heard of them before. Thanks for th link. I can't remember, though, if he's the one who said that all of the events of the Quran actually happened in North Arabia.

Yeah.  So on the one hand we have Luxenbourg ( a pseudonym for a scholar who doesn't want to have his family killed by fanatics) along with Spencer explaining his rather deep book suggesting that the origins of the koran were actually a Syriac book from a heretical xtian sect which had been driven out of the Roman Empire and into the marginal lands of Arabia after  the Council of Chalcedon (451). These monophysite (one nature) xtians were quite similar in their view of god to what later turned into islam's view.  Add to that the interesting fact that the Ghassanid kingdom arose right in north Arabia (coincidence?) and that they merged with Greek monophysite heretics.  The Ghassanids were reliable allies of the Byzantines in the long wars against the Persians effectively holding the Byzantines right flank.

So.  We have a heretical xtian army ( as far as the Byzantines were concerned) in North Arabia with a doctrine not at all dissimilar from what later came to be islamic in the right place at the right time after the Byzantines and Persians tore each other to shreds in the 6th century.

Yes.  It is all most interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were I A Muslim I'd Stop Going To Those Fucking Mosques. Minimalist 11 3288 June 26, 2017 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Dark magic could not veil us from you o Ali. Mystic 33 5005 December 26, 2016 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Are there anything could destroy thst proof rosechaos 42 6726 June 22, 2016 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  I just found the most amazing scientific miracle in the Quran!!!! ReptilianPeon 15 3897 January 31, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Pre-Uthman Quran Found in England ReptilianPeon 39 15807 August 3, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Found this on the wall over my sister's bed Marsellus Wallace 13 4121 December 24, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  Men should be allowed sex slaves and female prisoners could do the job. leo-rcc 60 24966 July 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  God's (Allah) house is too small, people in a huge house. Koldaramor 25 12476 July 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  TV boss found guilty of beheading wife. Skipper 108 41745 April 24, 2011 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Zen Badger