Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and purpose in life.
Atheism and purpose in life.
Sure if no Creator to the universe, the universe doesn't have a purpose. But if an Atheist chooses the reason why they want to live, then that is a purpose of living and especially if it's a good reason. The same is true of why one wants to do good.

Perhaps the purpose of an Atheist to live is simple: "he finds life worth living".

Also, it could be that their parents wanted them to live a good life. So they have a purpose in the eyes of their parents.
RE: Atheism and purpose in life.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Sure if no Creator to the universe, the universe doesn't have a purpose. But if an Atheist chooses the reason why they want to live, then that is a purpose of living and especially if it's a good reason.

Congratulations, you've discovered Existentialism.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Sure if no Creator to the universe, the universe doesn't have a purpose. But if an Atheist chooses the reason why they want to live, then that is a purpose of living and especially if it's a good reason.

Congratulations, you've discovered Existentialism.

That I did.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Congratulations, you've discovered Existentialism.

That I did.

In retrospect, that may have come off a bit more snarky than intended. Sarcasm is just one more free service I offer. Nothing personal intended by it.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In retrospect, that may have come off a bit more snarky than intended. Sarcasm is just one more free service I offer. Nothing personal intended by it.

I didn't take it personally.

Women! Sexy, naked, very aroused women!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:

Women! Sexy, naked, very aroused women!

lol I dunno man, once you get old, that reason might not be good enough.
(June 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: Women! Sexy, naked, very aroused women!

lol I dunno man, once you get old, that reason might not be good enough.

If I ever reach an age where I can't do fuck, I'll have a hot woman smother me to death with her arse! Death by sex.

And for my funeral, cremation. Have my body on a large Viking long boat, push it out to sea and set fire to it. Might cost a bit for the boat.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
My purpose is to eat a whole bowl of cookie dough and not have to share with anybody.
My purpose is to gain honour and dignity (even though I haven't had a honourable life so far), and help others (haven't helped much).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2840 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2554 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3446 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 24372 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  [Serious] The Purpose of Pain zwanzig 60 4499 February 9, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Nogba
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1212 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1377 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2014 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Purpose? No idea what it is. Cod 54 7161 November 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3043 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik