Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
are clothes moral?
are clothes moral?
... havin coffee and playing some spiderlink (chasing links thru pages just to see where it goes) tonite, i just came across a page called "best question to ask an atheist". question was basically, "why do you wear clothes?" the blogger was claiming it's a trip up question, because it makes atheists admit there is a "moral" reason, etc.

side note: i found out that san francisco allows you to be naked in public as long as you place a barrier between your naked ass and the bus seat. i had no idea. they really let you ... be you ... in san fran i guess. hahaha.

ok, so does anyone care to partake? would any of you go naked if it were legal where you live? also, less importantly, do you think wearing clothing is a moral decision?

i'll go first. as a motorcycle rider, i think of protection first as why i wear them. can't imagine hitting the ground with no denim separating my knees and the pavement.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
RE: are clothes moral?
"Why do you wear clothes?"

"Um, because people like you would freak out and throw me in jail otherwise."
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
What does purple taste like? Lilly, you want to handle this one for me?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 11, 2012 at 9:58 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What does purple taste like? Lilly, you want to handle this one for me?

I hear purple tastes like schnozzberries, but I wouldn't know. Cool Shades
Clothes are morally neutral in principle, although I have moral qualms about killing an animal only for its fur for the sake of fashion.

'Body shame' and concepts of modesty/decency based on clothing are cultural constructs which vary enormously, from nudity to the burqa.
Because A. it is forced on us and B. you would literately freeze for bollocks off (male only) C. It can (not always) make us look better although if you have a good naked body then why not loose the clothes all together.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Tell that idiot that there are precious few places on this planet where we hairless humans would last long without clothing.

We evolved to wear clothes appropriate to whatever environment we find ourselves in.

Then stand back while he has a shit hemorrhage.
(June 11, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Then stand back while he has a shit hemorrhage.

that must not feel great. ROFLOL min, be honest, do u write this shit [down] in advance?
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Quote:that must not feel great.

With xtians it doesn't leave much left.

Nah - at my age I have a lot of vicious thoughts floating around awaiting an opportunity.
I wear clothes out of shame, not morality. Even before I was fat, I wore clothes more out of a desire to not be gawked at than out of any sort of moral directive. Besides, I'm always cold, even with my clothes on. And I can't stand the feeling of my mammaries being dragged earthward by gravity, so even if I eschewed all other clothing, I'd still wear a bra.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8126 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1850 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15298 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2429 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5620 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Moral Argument for God athrock 211 37046 December 24, 2015 at 4:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  General question about the possibility of objective moral truth Michael Wald 63 12725 September 15, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Moral Compass Lakul 40 8011 April 6, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Spooky
Brick Atheist moral code Void 45 15688 March 24, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: I Am Not A Human Being
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64981 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue