Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think that without religion the crusades would have never happened?
Do you think that without religion the crusades would have never happened?
When people talk about the evils of religion the crusades allways come up. But recently I've been thinking about it and have started to believe that it was more of cultural difference than a religious one that ignited the wars with religion as an excuse to go land plundering. Do you think if the Arabs and the Europeans both had the same religion (say, they were both atheist nations) there would have still been a war. I think its likely so.

On the flip side one could also argue that 'God', or more their intense belief in him, inspired them to commit the horrible atrocities such as the mass executions on both sides. I don't know a huge ammount about the crusades and so I'm interested what you guys have to say. I am fully prepared to be corrected.
RE: Do you think that without religion the crusades would have never happened?
You have a point, and I myself think pretty much the same. You are right about that religion is used as an excuse to go to war and plunder. But also as a motivator for the soldiers and people.

But that's about wars in general. Tee crusades were just a religious war with religious objectives, which were to conquer the "holy land" and show which religion was the best.

So the crusades wouldn't happen without religion.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
Quote:So the crusades wouldn't happen without religion.

Of course they would,but not under that name and possibly at a slightly different date.. Wars are NEVER fought on moral principle. The crusades had very little to do with religion,except to the poor dumb fucks [on both sides] who did the actual dying.

All wars are about power at a macro level. The perpetrators always manage to come up with spiffy reasons to appeal to the best and worst in people at the same time.: To the the wealthy and gormless poor,they offered glory and sacrifice. To the pragmatic poor and the plain greedy,plunder rapine and pillage. Worked splendidly for centuries.Plunder from the crusades formed the basis of the wealth of many European noble houses.(and the pogroms before leaving home,killing all the Jews,who happened to be their creditors,saved them fortunes)
Wars would still happen ... wars are about resources mostly, we're like any other species competing for things we need only we do it with guns, bombs and tanks and of course the knight in armour ("our" primary weapon in the crusade I guess) was just the then historical version of the battlefield tank.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Religion was only used as a pretext for the Crusades, the main reason was economical, the Europeans wanted to occupy the Levant because then they could control the commerce in the Mediterranean Sea.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Maybe.
The wars themselves probably would have happened, only they would not have been called the Crusades.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think to say that religion causes all wars etc is simplifying a complex issue. Although sexy secular liberals will love you.
Well I try to be unbiased as possible and look at all arguments, for and against religion. It's easy to say that christians are narrow minded when you are yourself.
I concur. Which is what I have against gnostic atheism. How do they claim to know God doesn't exist? You can't prove a negative!! :S

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 589 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 13661 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 933 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 3994 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4206 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1826 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1155 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Three months ago I would have been dead ... Gawdzilla Sama 21 1228 October 30, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What do you think is Trump's next move? WinterHold 42 1787 October 8, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker