Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about the police?
What do you think about the police?
Administrator Notice
Spam post deleted.

Boru
RE: What do you think about the police?
Can't live with them (sometimes); can't live without them (always).
(December 2, 2022 at 4:23 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Can't live with them (sometimes); can't live without them (always).
So, you think police protects us? Like I've said in the post that @BrianSoddingBoru4 deleted, I don't see how exactly police protects us. The police nearly always only comes after a psychopath has already murdered somebody. And then, nearly always, they put that psychopath not to a place where they will rehabilitate, but to a place from which they will return with even more psychological problems that made them murder in the first place. Once you think about it that way, it looks like the police is actually making us less safe, rather than protecting us.
With the police, the exceptions do not prove the rule. Most to virtually all police officers are decent human beings who work odd shifts in the name of public service.
(December 2, 2022 at 4:53 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(December 2, 2022 at 4:23 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Can't live with them (sometimes); can't live without them (always).
So, you think police protects us? Like I've said in the post that @BrianSoddingBoru4 deleted, I don't see how exactly police protects us. The police nearly always only comes after a psychopath has already murdered somebody. And then, nearly always, they put that psychopath not to a place where they will rehabilitate, but to a place from which they will return with even more psychological problems that made them murder in the first place. Once you think about it that way, it looks like the police is actually making us less safe, rather than protecting us.

Cops don’t actually make citizens less safe or more safe (study after study show that putting more cops on the street has no effect on crime rates). 

But your complaint about cops only getting there after the fact is just plain dumb and stupid - that what cops are there for. I wouldn’t care to live in a society where the police arrested people before crimes were committed. And the police aren’t the ones putting psychopaths into prisons instead of hospitals, that’s done by judges and juries.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The police just are what they are. A government has power and use the police, in theory, to try and cap civilian violence and crime.

How violent and corrupt they are varies country to country, city, town and varies on an individual level.

It's like asking what I think about bus drivers. Most of the time they drive the bus alright but sometimes they crash and everyone dies.

I've been helped out by the police, it was actually me calling for them to help out other people but they turned up and helped out.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(December 2, 2022 at 6:31 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The police just are what they are. A government has power and use the police, in theory, to try and cap civilian violence and crime.

How violent and corrupt they are varies country to country, city, town and varies on an individual level.

It's like asking what I think about bus drivers. Most of the time they drive the bus alright but sometimes they crash and everyone dies.

I've been helped out by the police, it was actually me calling for them to help out other people but they turned up and helped out.

(Bold mine)

Which is exactly what police should be doing - helping people and catching criminals.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Synchronicity was great.
Dying to live, living to die.
I don't think police are inherently bad, but I can see why people don't like them.

Yeah, a lot of laws that they enforce aren't just. I can get past that, somewhat, by chalking it up to the price to live in a society with other people whose values aren't always the same as mine.

But I do think they get away with WAY too much. If I'm walking down the street, minding my own business, a cop could probably just walk up on me, shoot me dead for no reason and get away with it. A random stranger couldn't get away with that, but cops will.

Personally, I think, with all the training and equipment and backup cops get, they should be held to a higher standard than the general public, not a lesser standard. If we're going to accept as justification for killing someone that a cop feared for their life or they panicked, why can't we accept that justification from the general public? Better question is this: if fearing for your life is justification to kill someone and we've all see cops kill people under questionable circumstances, couldn't you justify killing a cop because you're afraid for your life?

And that's not even going into the racial differences in how cops treat black people vs white people or the reaction cops have towards violent right wing protests vs peaceful left wing protests.

Yeah, police are a necessity but they need major reform.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 2, 2022 at 6:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Cops don’t actually make citizens less safe or more safe (study after study show that putting more cops on the street has no effect on crime rates). 

But your complaint about cops only getting there after the fact is just plain dumb and stupid - that what cops are there for. I wouldn’t care to live in a society where the police arrested people before crimes were committed. And the police aren’t the ones putting psychopaths into prisons instead of hospitals, that’s done by judges and juries.

Boru

Minority Report hater. Hehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1305 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 933 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1025 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 3988 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4204 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  What do you think is Trump's next move? WinterHold 42 1786 October 8, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 834 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Prague Mayor under police protection Mr Greene 4 408 April 28, 2020 at 6:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1618 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 3718 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V