Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Can YOU still be a firm atheist after watching these?
Can YOU still be a firm atheist after watching these?
Honestly, my atheism is pretty damaged at the moment!! lol

After 11 years of 99% atheism... it's pretty bruised now O.O

Here are the main two videos that did it (the first is split into parts).

I'm very curious to hear if they shake anyone else! There were others too but these are the main ones!

... pretty intense, right?

I dunno what to make of it all to be honest but it's pretty amazing if you ask me!

I just want to know the truth that's all Smile

Take care dudes,

Mike Smile
"Minds are like parachutes - they both work best when open."

My favourite pro-atheism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQJrud71gL8[/amoff]
My favourite pro-theism video - [amoff]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhGRD25h2A[/amoff]
RE: Can YOU still be a firm atheist after watching these?
Quote:I dunno what to make of it all to be honest

Google is your friend

Quote: but it's pretty amazing if you ask me!

I didn't and it isn't.
Seriously! Near death experiences have been done over and over again on this forum.
So can I still be an atheist after watching those videos. Yes I can.

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hoppimike,

I would throughly recommend Susan Blackmore's book on Near Death Experiences entitled Dying to Live: Near-Death Experiences.

Susan Blackmore is a professor in Psychology and has extensively studied Near Death Experiences. Before becoming a sceptic she did research into parapsychology and the paranormal.
undefined
Well, if you believe the totally unbiased, honest, and clinically tested evidence provided in these videos, please consider joining my cult. Granted I have been out of fashion for awhile, but I'm expecting to turn things around soon. Your Paypal donation will really help my efforts.

Oh look lightening, that's me.
I'm back, all grovel and tremble before mighty Zeus... I accept donations.
Sorry but I find these more tedious than impressive.

I recommend you try hanging on to your agnosticism whether you remain an atheist or not. Is there anything in any of these videos which should reasonably give anyone certainty regarding the existence of gods? You may lean toward believing God exists but are you any closer to knowing that?
To be honest, if your atheism was damaged by watching a few testimonies by people whose brain function was less than optimal (on account of them being...dead), then you were never a "99% atheist" in the first place.
*groans*

*facepalms*

*stares at his keyboard for a good minute before he gets the energy to finally type*

Ok. Ok. Lots of "former atheists" tend to be people who were not ready to endure the crisis of realizing their own mortality. They often spent no time considering death, or dismissing death, and when suddenly faced with it, and very, VERY narrowly dodging it, they basically endure a traumatic experience, one that is terrifying beyond comprehension. It is at that point that you are at your weakest, along with enduring the death of a family member or loved one or very close friend, and is it PRECISELY at that point that the idea of god and an afterlife and a self-satisfying answer to the extremely grim question of "why am I here? (Answer: BECAUSE THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR OF ALL WILLS IT SO! HALLELUJAH! I SAID PRAISE THE LORD!!)" suddenly has a GREAT deal of appeal. Nobody expects to be shot in the friggin' head by a meth-crazed junkie or hit by a drunk driver while they're walking on the sidewalk, or suddenly getting cancer the fuck out of nowhere far earlier than you thought you would. And suddenly when faced with these dilemmas, the human mind needs to grasp at something to comfort it, to settle it down.

You know how children, when terrified of the boogie man hiding in their closet, will run to their parents' bedroom and cuddle up to them in fear? Of something that is not there? Kind of the same principle. We're suddenly afraid of the unknown, and the possible threats it brings, and we need something to cuddle up to. Mommy and daddy are a bit too old for that. Or they're just plain gone, having succumbed to precisely that which we are terrified of; mortality. So, then, what do we turn to? The superstitious tales that talk of things not unlike the boogieman; fictitious beings, supernatural entities, torment, anguish, eternal suffering, or bland, vague gestures to something that, well, at best is described as "not suffering and anguish for an eternity."

The boogieman is something that is naturally feared to children. Mortality is something that is naturally feared to adults.

So, long and short: These guys are concocting bullshit to delude themselves with to try to basically convince themselves of this lie, the better to keep themselves from having to really consider that which they truly fear. And in their mindless, deranged terror they feel the need to spread this fear to everyone else in some misguided attempt at bringing peace to those who they THINK thought like how they used to...though, as they said, they were "99% sure" before. Yeah. In other words they were always slightly credulous. All they needed was that moment of terror, of facing the absolutely most terrifying thing the human conscious mind can face, to balloon that 1% credulity to 100%.

But for the people like me, people who have evaded death over and over, and in several cases tried to willingly embrace it, and who never had these bullshit stories happen to them in the remotest fashion...this tripe is met with a cold, stony glare of contempt. My lip curls and the conviction, and contempt, rings unwaveringly in my voice as I spit a single word at them: "Bullshit."

So yeah. I'm not just a firm atheist after this...I'm even more convinced of my atheism.

HEAVEN. IS NOT REAL. HELL. IS NOT REAL. There are NO fucking ghosts, spirits, souls, demons, devils, angels, imps, celestial beings, immortal creatures, sphinxes, gryphons, there sure as fuck is NO SUCH THING as the fucking boogieman, there are NO dragons, elves (no matter how much I may want to bone a really hot elf chick it is never going to happen and I do not delude myself with such hopes), centaurs, pegasi, unicorns, Santa Claus, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Tony Stark, Superman, Batman, Harry Potter, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, God-Emperor, Space Marines, Aragorn, Samwise Gamjee, Frodo Baggins, Gandalf the White/Grey, Boromir, Sauron, Sarumann...

And finally; There IS. NO. FUCKING. GOD.

Dammit, people, I'm a fucking schizophrenic, and even I'M calling these idiots out on their delusions! PRETTY FUCKING PATHETIC.
Yes I can still be a firm atheist, this is bullshit. *double facepalm*
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
If you're having trouble with firmness there are pills for that. You DO NOT have to choose between atheism and erectile dysfunction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1954 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18500 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 536 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8133 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1468 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1407 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88783 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2093 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I Bet "Jesus" Is Real Proud of These Shits Minimalist 34 6029 December 4, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5577 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist