Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will'

A Christian family who refused to pay income tax because it went "against God's will" have been ordered to pay more than A$2m (£1.1m $1.4m) to Australia's tax office.
Rembertus Cornelis Beerepoot and Fanny Alida Beerepoot, of Tasmania, had not paid income tax since 2011.
Their farm was seized and sold by their local council in 2017 after they failed to pay seven years-worth of rates.

Mr Beerepoot had argued that the law of God is the "supreme law of this land" and making people pay tax was weakening their dependency on God, an act which was leading to "curses... in the form of droughts and infertility".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-austral...ting-story

Hmmm... I'm no expert in the bible, but isn't there something about "Render unto Caeser that which is Caesers" which I think was refering to taxes
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will'
That’s exactly what the judge quoted to them.

Also, kinda expected from the inbred folks of Tasmania.

Not to mention it’s what I would expect from people whose last name is basically “beer fart”.
Dying to live, living to die.
“Your honor, before we paid taxes it rained every day and I was a virile young man. Now there’s nothing but dust in the fields and in my sack. Taxes are a witch!”

-also, it was at least three inches longer before she cursed me
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Spot on, zebo. Reckon they missed that 'render unto Caesar' bit. (translation:  I want the benefits of living in a society and none of the responsibilities)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, these Christians must have missed the pert where Jesus said to give the government money. Hell, he seemed to be against wealth period. Give away everything you own, even the shirt off your back if asked. You could go to jail for having too much money, or too much fun in this life.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 18, 2019 at 5:18 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will'

A Christian family who refused to pay income tax because it went "against God's will" have been ordered to pay more than A$2m (£1.1m $1.4m) to Australia's tax office.
Rembertus Cornelis Beerepoot and Fanny Alida Beerepoot, of Tasmania, had not paid income tax since 2011.
Their farm was seized and sold by their local council in 2017 after they failed to pay seven years-worth of rates.

Mr Beerepoot had argued that the law of God is the "supreme law of this land" and making people pay tax was weakening their dependency on God, an act which was leading to "curses... in the form of droughts and infertility".

Hmmm... I'm no expert in the bible, but isn't there something about "Render unto Caeser that which is Caesers" which I think was refering to taxes

You are exactly right, Jesus told the religious leaders in Jerusalem that people were to pay their taxes and this is why. We are to be good stewards of the government and in doing so people can find no fault in our actions. Jesus also knew that countries can't run on goodwill it takes money to provide for the citizens of that country. Now I imagine you are wondering why the church doesn't pay taxes, well the government itself made that particular law not the church. Also it would be double taxing the same money because the people have already paid taxes on that money. Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. He did not say that Caesar should tax the people twice on the same money. That would be an unfair practice against individuals because of their personal belief.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 22, 2019 at 2:35 am)Godscreated Wrote: Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. He did not say that Caesar should tax the people twice on the same money. That would be an unfair practice against individuals because of their personal belief.

GC

I think he also said some shit about his kingdom not being a worldly kingdom, and we should not lay our treasures where moth and dust corrupt, that Christians should not involve themselves in worldly affairs but rather make themselves spiritually pure, strive to be righteous, look after the weak and hurting that the world has abandoned... doesn't seem like a sustainable way to change the government for the better, but (to be fair) I think this model assumed the world was going to end in a generation or two.

Guess what? The world didn't end and you schmucks have to pay your taxes. Hail Caesar!
(July 22, 2019 at 2:35 am)Godscreated Wrote:
(July 18, 2019 at 5:18 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will'

You are exactly right, Jesus told the religious leaders in Jerusalem that people were to pay their taxes and this is why. We are to be good stewards of the government and in doing so people can find no fault in our actions. Jesus also knew that countries can't run on goodwill it takes money to provide for the citizens of that country. Now I imagine you are wondering why the church doesn't pay taxes, well the government itself made that particular law not the church. Also it would be double taxing the same money because the people have already paid taxes on that money. Jesus said to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. He did not say that Caesar should tax the people twice on the same money. That would be an unfair practice against individuals because of their personal belief.

GC

Luke 6:29 'And if someone takes your cloak, do not withhold your tunic as well' could certainly be used to justify double taxation.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 18, 2019 at 6:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Spot on, zebo. Reckon they missed that 'render unto Caesar' bit. (translation:  I want the benefits of living in a society and none of the responsibilities)

Boru

Taxes in Roman Empire were much lower than in any modern country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_taxes
https://www.unrv.com/economy/roman-taxes.php
(July 22, 2019 at 8:00 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote:
(July 18, 2019 at 6:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Spot on, zebo. Reckon they missed that 'render unto Caesar' bit. (translation:  I want the benefits of living in a society and none of the responsibilities)

Boru

Taxes in Roman Empire were much lower than in any modern country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_taxes
https://www.unrv.com/economy/roman-taxes.php

Probably because most modern countries don't increase national revenue by going to war with the Dacians.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 480 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 539 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7419 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1490 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88914 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2780 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1766 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 65300 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  My argument against God(s) & omnipresence ErGingerbreadMandude 8 2171 June 2, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Shadow_Man
  Mother Marches Through Target With Her Family To Protest Transgender Bathroom Policy" TubbyTubby 6 1679 May 17, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: abaris