Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whether or not things exist
Whether or not things exist
Who are some philosophers that I should read who deal with the concept of existence? For instance, a philosopher who might state something like the following: reality is merely perceptions, or nothing can be proven to exist outside one's own perceptions.

Also, are there any philosophers that argue that nothing exists?

Thanks.
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

"Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).
RE: Whether or not things exist
If nothing exists then why do YOU exist? The concept of a non-existence is just another pseudo-scientific attempt at trying to give some kind of non-meaning to the universe.

Turn your gaze upwards to the stars and the infinite of space rather than the babbling of men incapable of coming to terms with the concepts of reality, you'll find far more worthwhile there.
(June 25, 2012 at 2:09 am)Micah Wrote: Who are some philosophers that I should read who deal with the concept of existence? For instance, a philosopher who might state something like the following: reality is merely perceptions, or nothing can be proven to exist outside one's own perceptions.

Also, are there any philosophers that argue that nothing exists?

Thanks.

You quote Russell. If you are interested in the development of epistemological thought, read from Descartes forward in his 'A History of Western Civilization'.

If I had to recommend just one person for your inquiry it would be Charles Sanders Peirce.
But on the subject of Russell, read Problems of Philosophy. Also, as a nice intro to philosophy in general, read Zeno and the Tortoise. Both are short but full of good seeds for thought.
Trying to update my sig ...
Thanks to the two who actually replied to my serious question. In regards to Creed of Heresy, you have succeeded in presenting yourself as an asshole. I am not certain whether or not I exist. The self may be merely chemical and electrical reactions in my brain. I do not know whether or not I can trust my perceptions. What I say is possible, no matter how unlikely you believe it to be. And for you to deny the possibility of these things is pure arrogance and ignorance.

Anyway, I plan on exploring the writers/readings y'all have suggested. Thank you. Smile
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

"Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).
(June 26, 2012 at 12:29 am)Micah Wrote: In regards to Creed of Heresy, you have succeeded in presenting yourself as an asshole.

While I disagree with what he said, I don't think he was intending to be rude...
Within the context of the situation, I would suggest that he was. I asked for people to recommend philosophers whose works I could read that pertained to the things I listed. I did not ask for opinions. I am the one who created this thread and his response had nothing to do with my question. It was wasted space. I do believe that he intended to be rude.

This isn't 'your' thread and you have no right to tell other people what to post. For one so Philosophically inclined towards deep questions you hang up pretty fast on futilities like what was rude or not. Dodgy
It's intriguing to me that I never said what he can and cannot post. I merely said that I am the one who created the thread and therefore am justified in determining if a response is rude or not. Not once did I say he cannot post. I merely called him out for posting in a thread that asked for philosopher references without even referencing a philosopher, but instead attacking that which I was interested about. To me, that is indeed rude.

To use your term for myself (a solipsist), why would I care whether or not my own mental projection (Creed of Heresy) is rude? That would indeed be a good question.

To those who actually referenced philosophers, I have ordered both of the Russel texts that y'all recommended and I eagerly await their arrival! Smile

(June 25, 2012 at 10:57 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: If nothing exists then why do YOU exist? The concept of a non-existence is just another pseudo-scientific attempt at trying to give some kind of non-meaning to the universe.

Turn your gaze upwards to the stars and the infinite of space rather than the babbling of men incapable of coming to terms with the concepts of reality, you'll find far more worthwhile there.

[Image: 295420_374715142593664_828055105_n.jpg]

A topic much more worthy of your speculation Micah....
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1664 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  On whether the Word made flesh is a category mistake LinuxGal 2 466 November 17, 2022 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3588 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 6890 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5160 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4546 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15100 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Existence must exist at all times. Edwardo Piet 41 8623 November 28, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist Rational AKD 348 79103 October 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 14334 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner