Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: August 8, 2020, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do things happen for a reason?
Do things happen for a reason?
Why do you think things (bad or good) happen?
RE: Do things happen for a reason?
(July 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm)Shazzalovesnovels Wrote: Why do you think things (bad or good) happen?

So we’ll have something to read about.

Boru
'A man is accepted into a church for what he believes.  He is turned out for what he knows.' - Mark Twain
(July 28, 2020 at 2:52 pm)Shazzalovesnovels Wrote: Why do you think things (bad or good) happen?

That depends on what you are talking about.

Thugs are currently whipping people off the street in Portland which is a bad thing and that is because Trump is a shit.

So what specifically were you thinking of.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 28, 2020 at 2:59 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

That depends on what you are talking about.

Thugs are currently whipping people off the street in Portland which is a bad thing and that is because Trump is a shit.

So what specifically were you thinking of.

Everything. Every single event in history: deaths, births, murders, wars, marriages, people etc. Did it happen this way for a reason? I just find it interesting because we can't change history, so you're born into whatever you're born into, and I want to know why.
I do not think there is some grand plan but I believe you could trace a causal chain to any event although I do not believe it necessarily means anything.

No reason, and I'm a determinist.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Yes, everything happens for a reason, I just had a nice meal, the reason was, I felt hungry. I put fuel in my car earlier today, the reason was it was almost empty and I have a 4 hour drive tomorrow.
Sometimes you may not know the reason, that doesn't mean there isn't one, last week we had a power cut for about 30 minutes, I don't know why, but someone does.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

OP - do you mean everything happens due to some grand master plan OR that everything is caused by something else? Really the question in the thread title is one of my top pet hates, masked in a veil of profundity yet utterly vague, imprecise and impossible to answer without clarification. FFS.
I dislike the term "Black Lives Matter" because it implies that there is a WIDELY held view in society that black lives do NOT matter. I find that to be unrealistic, hysterical, DIVISIVE hyperbole. 
Until you describe the "things" I can't postulate a reason.

I can tell you that none of my reasons would be magic/supernatural (unless magic/supernatural is the things).

Is this a good people/bad things thread?

Good and bad things happen because things happen.

If a thing matches the set of x we call bad, then a bad thing has happened, likewise for good. That's just in principle, ofc. In reality, no event is so simple and one dimensional as to be just good, or just bad. We live and make decisions in a reality brimming over with exclusively sub-optimal decision fields. A necessary consequence of being a limited creature in an external environment.
The essence of poverty, is that it annihilates the future - Orwell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we only do things we want to do? DodosAreDead 9 597 November 19, 2018 at 12:41 am
Last Post: tackattack
  If God is a witness to all things... Mystic 50 4217 October 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 2247 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Argument from Reason? Barefoot 60 8284 June 25, 2015 at 10:02 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The only reason why organics function is for selfish benefit x2theone2x 24 4953 February 18, 2014 at 7:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Illogical things can be real, like God, I have an idea orlox 30 5400 February 4, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Why is Kant's practical reason for God wrong? filambee 23 5814 October 29, 2013 at 1:27 am
Last Post: filambee
  How do I know the things I know? Akincana Krishna dasa 52 15879 October 27, 2012 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Jörmungandr
  5 Stupid things about Ayn Rand Napoléon 52 20025 August 10, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Whether or not things exist Light of Truth 17 6425 June 27, 2012 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Light of Truth