Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
I can feel your anger
I can feel your anger
It's scary thing when people believe that the metaphysical belief of a wheelcheered scientist is fact.I'm still unsure wheher it's due to science being used as a religious replacement by some people. The lack of wisdom by those who supposedly hold a superior intellect is also scary.

If all you need to affirm that as the universe has a total energy of 0, and that causality is dismissed as time did not exist then it's sufficient to confirm your own theories? Really? Are these your trump cards? Just admit you have no idea otherwise your persepctive is as warped as any other fundamentalists.
RE: I can feel your anger
Quote:wheelcheered scientist

Wheelcheered?
What are you going on about?
Smells like troll.
Smells like booze.
If you've got nothing that's fine.
(July 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm)Selliedjoup Wrote: science being used as a religious replacement by some people

i don't have that kind of (religious) space, therefore nothing needs to replace it. they're two totally different things that are achieved two totally different ways.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
I think it's fairly universal that people look for meaning and purpose, some look to religion, some look to science to answer these questions.

The difference is what conclusion you reach, but it's defined by whatever worldview/paradigm you began your investigation with. Hence, science is used as 'religion' by some people. I think it's fairly common for atheists to depend on science in this way. I'm guessing as science is rational and objective, and hasn't found evidence for a god it can be used in this way. I'd imagine this line of thought only convinces the converted and the simple.

(July 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:wheelcheered scientist

Wheelcheered?

I must admit I'm disappointed the only response I could elicit from you is pointing out a typo.
(July 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm)Selliedjoup Wrote: The difference is what conclusion you reach, but it's defined by whatever worldview/paradigm you began your investigation with.

Hence, science is used as 'religion' by some people.

perhaps some do, but i don't know why they'd need to. the only reason anyone would need to have faith in science would be if they decided to not find conclusions for themselves (only for lack of desire or skill set) the work is already out there.

also, (the bold portion) is not how that works for me. i start with a blank slate and see where my findings take me. i don't start with a certain world view and build from that.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Bad premise, worse conclusion. Science=evidence based on observation; religion=evidence made up to suit desire.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 6090 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2860 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5015 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14316 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3571 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy? drfuzzy 55 5868 November 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 23827 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Passionate anger purplepurpose 42 5559 July 4, 2016 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  I hate Church and still feel obligated to go dragonman73 20 4418 May 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3959 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods