Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is becoming like God good or evil?

I would like to restrict giving God any other attribute except for knowing good and evil in this thread. Just for simplicity.

I have two quotes I would like you to consider.

“Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil.”

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

Knowing good and evil is the same as developing or gaining a moral sense. This is something that all governments and religions wish to develop in us and seems like a good idea to me.

If being perfect like God means that we must have the knowledge of good and evil, then Adam and Eve had to eat of the tree of knowledge ---- if they were to accomplish what most seem to think is a worthy goal. Morals. As God says in Eden, such is to have your eyes opened. A good thing IOW.

In the Jewish view, A & E did the right thing and they name it our elevation. In the Christian view, they did the wrong thing and call it our fall.

Is becoming as Gods, in the moral sense, good or evil?

If evil, please explain what is evil about developing a moral sense and following scriptures that tell us to be as Gods.

Regards
DL
RE: Is becoming like God good or evil?

IF I became like a god it would be Thor, not that YHWH areswipe. Or perhaps Krsna. If I wanted people to be terrified of me I would become like Huitzilopochti, Aztec god of war. Tiger

PS 'Evil' is a subjective moral value,it has no objective reality.

IIRC, the problem was not so much that they also knew good and evil as that if they also partook of the tree of life, there would be nothing separating man and God. But I haven't really studied the matter, and I think there are possible interpretations which omit the selfishness seemingly implicit in the Gods' motives. (My personal alternate interpretation is that until Adam and Eve fell, they did not truly experience their freedom of will; to be free is to have limits (or in a favorite quote, "It's only your chains which set you free."). I'm not sure I grasp the nature of your hypothetical. You can't truly be good if you can't also be evil. So while their moral possibilities were insufficiently completely formed prior to knowing good and evil, knowing both makes both possible, and therefore it is neither good or ill; it is simply open possibility.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
If I'm going to be a god I'll be Bacchus, that dude knows how to seriously PARTY.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(July 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Is becoming like God good or evil?
It depends on your motivations.
Strangely enough, that seems to have gone the same way for god. Good here, evil there. Really human kinda guy, definitely a character one could relate too. Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A question that is interesting, I do believe that to become like God having a moral sense is evil, this is my reason, Adam and Eve had to commit an act of evil (disobey God) to become like God having a moral sense. This act cost mankind an innocence and cost man and God dearly.
Now, God wants us to live as close to the standard that is who God is, God said to be holy as He is holy, which means to be separate from the ways of the world. For those who love the world I guess they might consider what Adam and Eve did a good thing, those who love God would consider it a evil thing.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 5, 2012 at 3:54 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Is becoming like God good or evil?

Not sure how to answer that question really. I guess being god like, as in having the power of a god then I guess it's down to what you do with that power.

Not sure what else to say on the matter really. Undecided
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
A Quote from Mark Twain.

"I will tell you a pleasant tale which has in it a touch of pathos. A man got religion, and asked the priest what he must do to be worthy of his new estate. The priest said ´imitate our Father in Heaven, learn to be like Him.´ The man studied his Bible diligently and thoroughly and understandingly, and then with prayers for heavenly guidance instituted his imitations. He tricked his wife into falling downstairs, and she broke her back and became a paralytic for life; he betrayed his brother into the hands of a sharper, who robbed him of his all and landed him in the almshouse; he inoculated one son with hookworms, another with the sleeping sickness, another with gonorrhea; he furnished one daughter with scarlet fever and ushered her into her teens deaf, dumb, and blind for life; and after helping a rascal seduce the remaining one, he closed his doors against her and she died in a brothel cursing him. Then he reported to the priest, who said that THAT was no way to imitate his Father in Heaven! The convert asked wherein he had failed, but the priest changed the subject and inquired what kind of weather he was having, up his way."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Considering Stalin? A heinous evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 356 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38430 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16534 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1540 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2159 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 1000 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2327 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is not good Foxaèr 19 4158 November 3, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 20931 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5975 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic