Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boss gets cut off in UK, they were right!
The Boss gets cut off in UK, they were right!
It's all over the news so just google Bruce Springsteen. A recent concert in Hyde Park UK, was cut off by the sound engineers by noise ordinance laws.

Now before people go all off on me about this. Has anyone ever had a late working day, even into the night, say a Friday night, or Saturday, then had to get up early in the morning for another shift?

I DO like the social attitude of Bruce, he is for the common man economically. But what is the difference between your neighbor breaking noise laws, or a rich person doing it?

The way the media reported it they made it sound like he was cut off after the first song. This was after 3 hours of playing. Even for Bruce that is usually far more than most artists.

Noise laws exist because other people have jobs and just because you like your own noise, doesn't mean your neighbor does. If Bruce is for the common man like he claims, then he should understand that in the city he played, were also people who needed to sleep and wake up early for work.

Otherwise if we can just offend others with noise whenever we want, a construction company could pound a jackhammer next to your house at 3 am.

This is NOT about his music. I am not calling his music noise. I am saying that the volume at the time of night has already been agreed on in that society as being disruptive, NOT THE MUSIC.

This is about the consideration of others. I am sure even Bruce like's quiet time sometimes. I am sure he would not want me outside his mansion at 3 am with a bullhorn, shouting "WE LOVE YOU BRUCE"

So unless this is about money equaling power, then Bruce who has plighted for the common man, should understand the value of sleep so that when they go to work, they can do the work he fights for.

Why have laws if the rich get to break them?
RE: The Boss gets cut off in UK, they were right!
I agree with you. Tongue
Wasn't it cut off just after 10.30 though? I agree that rich people shouldn't be able to dodge laws like that, but I think the law should allow for a little later... it wouldn't have to be by much though.
Cunt
Have you ever been to Hyde Park? I doubt that even the people who can afford to live in the area surrounding the park were capable of hearing the concert. Hyde Park is massive; the surrounding area is mostly commercial, not residential. This was also 10:30pm; people who can afford to live in that area most likely don't have to get up early in the morning.
(July 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm)frankiej Wrote: Wasn't it cut off just after 10.30 though? I agree that rich people shouldn't be able to dodge laws like that, but I think the law should allow for a little later... it wouldn't have to be by much though.
You haven't had the jobs I have. That is why municipalities have laws, because we do not all have the same schedules, or the same lives or the same personalities. Unless we want to end up killing each other, common law is the only order to civility.

People stupidly think that freedom is always about "I get to do what I want". There is no such thing if we want civility and common ground. No one should be against the concert, and most love those artists. But what I hated about our media reporting is that they acted like the government hated the music as if they were Muslims or Nazis, when all the government enforced was, "others need to sleep now".
(July 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote: You haven't had the jobs I have. That is why municipalities have laws, because we do not all have the same schedules, or the same lives or the same personalities. Unless we want to end up killing each other, common law is the only order to civility.

So what about people who work all night and sleep during the day? Should we all tip toe around for them too??? 10.30 might be late for you, but not for everyone else.

Tiberius spoke about location. That should be take into consideration with these kind of laws aswell.
Cunt
(July 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(July 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm)Brian37 Wrote: You haven't had the jobs I have. That is why municipalities have laws, because we do not all have the same schedules, or the same lives or the same personalities. Unless we want to end up killing each other, common law is the only order to civility.

So what about people who work all night and sleep during the day? Should we all tip toe around for them too???

I knew you would bring that up, and to that side's credit, the norm should be, if it bothers someone that much when they are trying to sleep, reduce your noise, be polite.

But in general nothing is perfect, I think it really is based on that most work is done during the day. But I agree, it would suck if you worked over night and had a noisy neighbor who wouldn't let you sleep.

My main point is that the laws exist because of some sort of consensus and Bruce should not get a pass because of who he is.
I agree with most of what you are saying, man. I just think that it is a tad too early.

I also think that some kind of signal to tell him to wrap it up would have been better than just cutting the sound... rather rude. I would be unbelievably pissed off if someone did that to me when I'm playing a gig. I care more that it spoils the end of a show for the people who have paid to watch it. The climax is often the best part. Wink
Cunt
(July 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Have you ever been to Hyde Park? I doubt that even the people who can afford to live in the area surrounding the park were capable of hearing the concert. Hyde Park is massive; the surrounding area is mostly commercial, not residential. This was also 10:30pm; people who can afford to live in that area most likely don't have to get up early in the morning.

This does not negate the laws.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(July 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm)frankiej Wrote: I agree with most of what you are saying, man. I just think that it is a tad too early.

I also think that some kind of signal to tell him to wrap it up would have been better than just cutting the sound... rather rude. I would be unbelievably pissed off if someone did that to me when I'm playing a gig. I care more that it spoils the end of a show for the people who have paid to watch it. The climax is often the best part. Wink

You don't know me, In most locals 10pm or 10:30 is the norm, but I fall asleep anywhere from 7 to 9pm.

I agree the climax is the best part, so why didn't they schedule the concert earlier?

(July 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm)Annik Wrote:
(July 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Have you ever been to Hyde Park? I doubt that even the people who can afford to live in the area surrounding the park were capable of hearing the concert. Hyde Park is massive; the surrounding area is mostly commercial, not residential. This was also 10:30pm; people who can afford to live in that area most likely don't have to get up early in the morning.

This does not negate the laws.

Agreed, the rights of the majority should not trump the rights of the few.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 683 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1666 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Who were your heros? Brian37 10 641 July 28, 2020 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1089 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2151 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3509 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod
  Neil deGrasse Tyson off the hook! chimp3 5 1228 March 16, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Do you and yours wear thermal under clothes when the weather gets cold? Duty 46 3123 November 15, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Duty
  Fell off my bike tonight Foxaèr 48 2653 October 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1709 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball