Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument from infinite authority.
Argument from infinite authority.
1. The command to not torture a child for fun is that of infinite degree in humans and it's to the ultimate degree.
(That is the "should not do" is to the infinite degree with no limits.)
2. Therefore there is an ultimate authority to the infinite degree.
3. Such an authority can only be of an infinite metaphysical being.

I'm just brainstorming here.
RE: Argument from infinite authority.
(July 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I'm just brainstorming here.

That is more storm than brain.

If the authority is infinite, why is the commandment violated? Obviously some people think they "should".
(July 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. The command to not torture a child for fun is that of infinite degree in humans and it's to the ultimate degree.

To propose a universal concept you have to see it is universally agreed on,
unfortunately even child abuse for entertainment has not been seen as wrong by several societies let alone some individuals, for instance in the forum in Rome.
In Japan you can be served a fish which is filleted, but still alive and the customer derives enjoyment from watching the suffering of the living fish while he eats it. I find this disgusting, but a good many can't even understand why I might have a problem with it, its natural and goes on in nature.
Since all humans are genetically and physiologically quite alike, it seems reasonable that amost or ll humans would share certain instincts derived from perceptual and cognative prejudices and liimits that results from the physiological properties of our brain. So even if all humans were to instinctively agree on certain things, that does not in the least way suggest any authority other than the highly contingent path of our evolution.

MysticKnight does not think through what the nature of the underlying mechanism for the things he cherry picks might tell us, and like brain dead christian jump directly to some "high authroity"
Ok how about I change it and I guess the proof would be personal towards me, unless others feel the same way.

1) The command in me to not to torture a child for fun is that to the infinite degree/ultimate degree.
2) Therefore there is an authority to the infinite degree over me.
3) Such an authority can only be an infinite metaphysical being.
blee blee blee bleeeeee bleeeeee blbblblblblblb bmamamamamaamma oooooo

There, now I've brainstormed too Big Grin

On a serious note, why do you start with conclusions? You can arbitrarily assert anything is infinite or ultimate and capitalise these words if it so please you, but all that demonstrates is the ability to make assertions. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for brainstorming, but this seems like a dead end. You're making a series of unsupported, indemonstrable assertions which, if your posts in the past are anything to go by (and correct me if I'm wrong), you'll then suggest we actually know to be true because a god has imparted this knowledge into us. This isn't a discussion of possibilities if that's the case, it's you saying "this is true just because".
(July 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm)Tempus Wrote: blee blee blee bleeeeee bleeeeee blbblblblblblb bmamamamamaamma oooooo

There, now I've brainstormed too Big Grin

On a serious note, why do you start with conclusions? You can arbitrarily assert anything is infinite or ultimate and capitalise these words if it so please you, but all that demonstrates is the ability to make assertions. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for brainstorming, but this seems like a dead end. You're making a series of unsupported, indemonstrable assertions which, if your posts in the past are anything to go by (and correct me if I'm wrong), you'll then suggest we actually know to be true because a god has imparted this knowledge into us. This isn't a discussion of possibilities if that's the case, it's you saying "this is true just because".

Hmm...well these premises seem true to me. When I think of the "should not" torture the child, the authority of it seems to have no limit, it's unlimited and to the highest degree possible.

So yes I think it leads to conclusion to God, but it's not necessarily circular to state how I feel of the "should not torture a child for fun" command in me.
One "should not" fly without any vehicles, tools or instruments have a far higher degree of authority. Trust me. The authority is so high and respected that no has yet broken it, ever.

Childrens are in fact tortured everyday in every part of the world. The authority that argues it should be be done seem to be of a sadly low order.
(July 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm)Chuck Wrote: Childrens are in fact tortured everyday in every part of the world. The authority that argues it should be be done seem to be of a sadly low order.

People can still chose to disobey the "should" command, even if it is that of infinite degree/ultimate degree.
(July 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. The command to not torture a child for fun is that of infinite degree in humans and it's to the ultimate degree.

All this is is anthropomorphism of an abstract concept.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presentism and Infinite Chain of Past Events GrandizerII 48 9572 December 13, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Argument Against an Infinite Past MindForgedManacle 30 8652 September 13, 2013 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
Question Is Appeal to Authority Ever Acceptable? Tea Earl Grey Hot 13 5252 April 28, 2012 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Infinite Regress. Edwardo Piet 2 5213 October 15, 2008 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet