Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition: Halt Louisiana's voucher program that could fund creationism.
Petition: Halt Louisiana's voucher program that could fund creationism.
Louisiana has a voucher program that can allow public money to fund private schools, some of which teach creationism and other religiously tainted bullshit. A petition is going around to try to stop this. Here's the link.
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-gove...er-program

Here are the first two paragraphs of the letter: "You have created a voucher program that allows public money to be used to fund schools that teach young earth creationism, which is not part of Louisiana’s approved state science standards. This is unconstitutional and wrong.

It is an unconstitutional promotion of religion to fund schools that teach creationism. You are promoting one specific fundamentalist variety of Christianity, a clear violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

Here's a link to more information: http://www.repealcreationism.com/697/sto...ationwide/

(July 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: Louisiana has a voucher program that can allow public money to fund private schools, some of which teach creationism and other religiously tainted bullshit. A petition is going around to try to stop this. Here's the link.
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-gove...er-program

Here are the first two paragraphs of the letter: "You have created a voucher program that allows public money to be used to fund schools that teach young earth creationism, which is not part of Louisiana’s approved state science standards. This is unconstitutional and wrong.

It is an unconstitutional promotion of religion to fund schools that teach creationism. You are promoting one specific fundamentalist variety of Christianity, a clear violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

Here's a link to more information: http://www.repealcreationism.com/697/sto...ationwide/

Here's a link to a story of an exorcism that Bobby Jindal performed on a college classmate. http://www.care2.com/causes/bobby-jindal...rcism.html
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Petition: Halt Louisiana's voucher program that could fund creationism.
Ziploc Surprise,

We in Australia have had for decades, direct government funding of non public schools, which include evangelical ones which often teach young earth creationism. However then again a lot of non public schools here are Catholic or Mainline Protestant ones which often do a better job in teaching religion than the public schools do.

I personally don't think schools vouchers are bad, indeed I do see a lot of merit in them. However the schools which receive these vouchers should be subject to government oversight when it comes to their curriculum's, to give a couple of examples;

1. Requiring schools state and non-state to have objective comparative religious studies classes.
2. Requiring that schools have properly qualified counselors, social workers and psychologists.
3. Requiring that they teach things like evolution, critical thinking and the scientific method in science classes.
undefined
RE: Petition: Halt Louisiana's voucher program that could fund creationism.
(July 21, 2012 at 7:15 am)Justtristo Wrote: Ziploc Surprise,

We in Australia have had for decades, direct government funding of non public schools, which include evangelical ones which often teach young earth creationism. However then again a lot of non public schools here are Catholic or Mainline Protestant ones which often do a better job in teaching religion than the public schools do.

I personally don't think schools vouchers are bad, indeed I do see a lot of merit in them. However the schools which receive these vouchers should be subject to government oversight when it comes to their curriculum's, to give a couple of examples;

1. Requiring schools state and non-state to have objective comparative religious studies classes.
2. Requiring that schools have properly qualified counselors, social workers and psychologists.
3. Requiring that they teach things like evolution, critical thinking and the scientific method in science classes.

I used to live in Louisiana. Specifically for that state the state has little control over private schools. They can teach all sorts of crap. Other schenanagans happen also. I looked into a few private schools there when my son was kindergarten age. The private schools there scared me. I don't have links that can prove this but I'm sure they exist.

I have also heard rumor (I don't have the time to substantiate this) that if vouchers could go to home schoolers some parents would take the money and put it towards drugs and booze. I don't know if they give vouchers to home schoolers and if they did, how they ensure the money will go towards curriculum. I do know that, as a home schooler who lives in Texas, there is little (almost no) regulation over what parents must teach. Therefore, if this problem continues, and Texas were to get a voucher system they would have to fix quite a few holes to prevent something like the rumor I mentioned above from happening.

As for vouchers going to regulated schools I don't see a problem with it. Perhaps problems exist. I'm open to new information on this but right now I don't see a problem with it. As for public money going towards religious schools that include in their curriculum a religious education. I have mixed and often conflicting problems with this. I'm open to debate, it helps me figure things out for myself.

On one hand I understand the argument that if a child goes to private school the parents of that child must still pay taxes that fund the public school that their child isn't using. Their child isn't burdening the system, therefore the parents of that child should have the right to choose where their school tax money goes.

On the other hand is the separation between church and state problem. A voucher system means that people, whether they have children or not, are paying tax money that could go to support a religion they don't believe in. I'm not comfortable with this. If someone has a good argument or two that could change my mind about this I say "well, convince me." Present your argument, you may have a point.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 889 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4371 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1791 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2170 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  So He Could Tolerate Everything Else But This? Minimalist 4 695 August 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The WLB Wishes He Could Get Away With This Minimalist 1 500 May 30, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Now Who Knew Economics Could Be So "Complicated?" Minimalist 2 820 April 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm Sure His Buddy Putin Could Put Something Together For Him Minimalist 1 642 January 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Trump May End DACA Program Seraphina 30 9078 September 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Take away money from PP and Food stamps to fund border wall NuclearEnergy 72 13571 July 18, 2017 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Amarok