Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got children? Send them here!
Lightbulb 
Got children? Send them here!
Listening to the radio this morning I was very pleasantly surprised to hear about Camp Quest

This is a summer camp for children of atheist, agnostics, humanists and freethinkers that has been going for a while in the U.S. and has now moved to England.

The main aim of this camp is to teach the children moral values and critical thinking with one of the activities focused around a game in which the children are told there are two invisible unicorns in the forest and their job is to prove they don't exist.

Anyway, my son was listing to this as we drove to school and he is chomping at the bit to go Big Grin Especially as they teach evolution.

Also, couldn't resist putting this video from their website here as this is the sort of thing that these children will be exposed to, which is good..

[youtube]Z3SAGDZXLxI[/youtube]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Got children? Send them here!
Even though I am far from religious, I am not 100% on board with the idea of this camp. I am all for teaching children critical thinking, which is the part I happily agree with. It's just there is such a fine line between teaching them how to think and teaching them what to think.

I am more enthusiastic about the tinkering camp:

[youtube]hvHViFc0ekw[/youtube]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think my son would love this as well.

To come to the defence of Camp Quest, I don't think that they are going down the road of teaching children what to think, in fact, I'm sure they are very careful not to be accused of any form of indoctrination as this is exactly what they are trying to get away from. Rather, they are teaching the children how to think for themselves. As they say, they don't teach the children that there is no God but instead teach that it is OK not to believe.

But time will tell and if my little sproglets ever go I'll report back Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The Camp is for children of atheists, not for atheists themselves. The people running the camp do not know if the children are atheists or not, but will teach them how to think, not what to think.

For example, the camp takes place near a woods. The children will be asked to prove that there are no unicorns living in the woods, and they will get £10 if they do so. This is a valuable lesson on how you cannot prove a negative Big Grin
(July 3, 2009 at 5:11 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Even though I am far from religious, I am not 100% on board with the idea of this camp. I am all for teaching children critical thinking, which is the part I happily agree with. It's just there is such a fine line between teaching them how to think and teaching them what to think.

I agree ... when I first heard of it I was pretty much as intellectually offended as I am by the idea of religious camps. Maybe one can argue they are necessary to balance the zealots but I'm not sure.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I need to show that first video to my nephew. He believes the earth is 6000 years old. Unfortunately he's 27 so he's too old for that camp......or is he?
binnyCoffee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1251 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1168 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12897 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1607 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3647 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1232 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13008 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  This is the message I just got on Facebook Easy Guns 15 4018 December 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  atheism and children Catholic_Lady 568 82684 September 6, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cecelia