Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apathy, gods best friend
Apathy, gods best friend
I’ll go out on a limb here and state that most people in the UK are agnostic and completely apathetic to the question of gods existence, and this trend is definitely increasing with the younger generations.

Most people cannot be bothered to think about or even consider the question, and would rather the subject not be brought up while they get on with their thoroughly secular lives.

Of course this is preferable to an alternative of fundamentalist religiosity, but my concern is that this complete and utter indifference allows the faithful to carry on as though they are representative of the majority when they most certainly are not.

Schooling(a particular pet subject of mine) – A high proportion of schools in the uk are faith based, and this tradition is increasing rather than diminishing. Not to mention we have just seen government approval for funding of the very first ‘Free Schools’ which are to be run by groups with creationist beliefs. Due to the churches grip on the school system it is very difficult to avoid sending your children to a faith school, where they are free to deliver Christian biased views to children of any denomination.

Politics – At present, the Church of England is granted privileged access to Parliament. The Church of England is represented in the UK Parliament by 26 bishops (the Lords Spiritual) and sit alongside Peers in the House of Lords, they have the right to vote and debate, The Lords Spiritual have seats in the House of Lords and debate government policies affecting the whole of the United Kingdom. The Church of England also has the right to draft legislative measures (related to religious administration) that can then be passed into law by Parliament.
They influence our national way of life. They acquired this right solely by virtue of their religion, their gender and their position in the hierarchy of one particular denomination of one particular Church. They are unaccountable to the public.

The UK may have once been founded as a Christian country, but it is now very much a multi-cultural, secular society. I believe that the Christian Church no longer deserves to hold its privileged position as they are no longer representative of the populace.

Unfortunately this situation is unlikely to change any time soon, because nobody cares. People are ignorant to the fact that major decisions directly relating to their lives are being directly influenced by powerful members of a self-righteous religion that they do not belong to.

Apathy unfortunately is the norm, and apathy is most certainly gods current best friend
RE: Apathy, gods best friend
The good old c of e has never had anything to do with god, other than to use it as a justification for keeping the hierarchy in place. Of course most people are indifferent to philosophy, most people have no view on agriculture, this is not to say these things are not important, but everybody cannot be into everything.
I will fight to the death for their right to be indifferent.
Perhaps some people have become apathetic because they feel powerless to affect any real change?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 8, 2012 at 7:38 am)jonb Wrote: The good old c of e has never had anything to do with god
Amusingly correct

(August 8, 2012 at 7:38 am)jonb Wrote: Of course most people are indifferent to philosophy, most people have no view on agriculture, this is not to say these things are not important, but everybody cannot be into everything.
I will fight to the death for their right to be indifferent.
Everyone has a right to indifference, but the point I am trying to convey is that this apathy allows people who are motivated to get things done. And thats one thing you have to give to the religious, they are certainly well motivated and unified towards a common cause(usually to further their own influence)

(August 8, 2012 at 8:10 am)Faith No More Wrote: Perhaps some people have become apathetic because they feel powerless to affect any real change?

You've got it bang on, and I think that is also the reason why so few people bother to use their vote at election time.

I don't want to feel powerless. I want to effect change
(August 8, 2012 at 9:41 am)Chuff Wrote: but the point I am trying to convey is that this apathy allows people who are motivated to get things done. And thats one thing you have to give to the religious, they are certainly well motivated and unified towards a common cause(usually to further their own influence)

No I read the situation differently, yes religious groups do tend to be tight and can get things done, but there are many different groups with many different views and actually they all council each other out. In britain, true if one set of these nutters got the upper hand like in the southern USA, Italy, Saudi, we would have a problem, but in britain their disunity makes them irrelevant, and as such this allows most of the population to sit back and say religion is irrelevant.
Change is happening slowly it is true, but the movement still seems to be in the right direction. Having said that old men like me can get complacent, so a kick up the pants, once in a while saying things are not moving fast enough or might seem to be moving in the wrong direction is a good thing to do to us.
The whole House of Lords is ridiculous, it just allows the main parties to give whoever they want a parliament seat for life. At the very least, there should be a referendum on the "lords spiritual" and the existence of the house of lords itself, but as recent events show, the Tories won't allow such a thing to happen.

There is no definite figure on the proportions of various religious affiliations. The 2011 census hasn't been published, and there are various surveys that have given a wide spread of statistics. One in particular is interesting, which was done by The Guardian newspaper in 2006. The results showed that 63% of people asked were not religious, but a third of these still identified with christianity.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(August 8, 2012 at 10:32 am)Tobie Wrote: The whole House of Lords is ridiculous, it just allows the main parties to give whoever they want a parliament seat for life. At the very least, there should be a referendum on the "lords spiritual" and the existence of the house of lords itself, but as recent events show, the Tories won't allow such a thing to happen.

There is no definite figure on the proportions of various religious affiliations. The 2011 census hasn't been published, and there are various surveys that have given a wide spread of statistics. One in particular is interesting, which was done by The Guardian newspaper in 2006. The results showed that 63% of people asked were not religious, but a third of these still identified with christianity.

I am really looking forward to the census results, I would imagine we'll see a decrease in Christian, an increase in Islam, a decrease in 'don't know' and an increase in Atheist.
(August 8, 2012 at 11:38 am)Chuff Wrote:
(August 8, 2012 at 10:32 am)Tobie Wrote: The whole House of Lords is ridiculous, it just allows the main parties to give whoever they want a parliament seat for life. At the very least, there should be a referendum on the "lords spiritual" and the existence of the house of lords itself, but as recent events show, the Tories won't allow such a thing to happen.

I am really looking forward to the census results, I would imagine we'll see a decrease in Christian, an increase in Islam, a decrease in 'don't know' and an increase in Atheist.
I'd expect between 25-30% No religion, and around 65% christian.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
On the one hand, Chuff, you state:

Quote:I’ll go out on a limb here and state that most people in the UK are agnostic and completely apathetic to the question of gods existence, and this trend is definitely increasing with the younger generations.

and on the other,

Quote:chooling(a particular pet subject of mine) – A high proportion of schools in the uk are faith based, and this tradition is increasing rather than diminishing.

Allowing that both statements are correct, it would seem that whatever the schools are doing is not having the effect they want.
(August 8, 2012 at 11:53 am)Minimalist Wrote: On the one hand, Chuff, you state:

Quote:I’ll go out on a limb here and state that most people in the UK are agnostic and completely apathetic to the question of gods existence, and this trend is definitely increasing with the younger generations.

and on the other,

Quote:chooling(a particular pet subject of mine) – A high proportion of schools in the uk are faith based, and this tradition is increasing rather than diminishing.

Allowing that both statements are correct, it would seem that whatever the schools are doing is not having the effect they want.

Minimalist has got it spot on. It often amuses me that the UK with its established church, Lords Spiritual, compulsory religious observance in schools, head of state as head of c of e, is one of the most secular countries in the world.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20857 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2428 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10748 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Exclamation [Serious] How Do I Help My Friend? ReptilianPeon 47 6061 August 22, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 1999 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and couldn't help but laugh GODZILLA 28 4997 March 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Christian best friend asks me to reconsider Anon2381 45 13239 June 14, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Anon2381
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3596 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12666 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  A Thousand Gods? chimp3 22 2869 October 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger