Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] How Do I Help My Friend?
Exclamation 
How Do I Help My Friend?
I did see Robvalue in person today but this isn't about him, perhaps surprisingly. I'll tell you more about that in another topic, perhaps. This is about somebody else.

A recent friend I made said her parents don't like her being around people who aren't Jehovah Witness (she is not one). I find this rather concerning. Sadly, I don't believe there is anything I can do. Being a disabled person it will be harder for her to obtain economic independence. Are there perhaps any charities that can help? We live in the UK.

I should add that she has been self-harming due to her situation. She does have a partner, which her parents don't approve of either. As I said, quite concerning.

RE: How Do I Help My Friend?
So your friend is not JW and yet her parents don't want her to hang around non JW?

But if your friend is a grown person what does it matter who her parents want her to hang around? I mean she seems to be an invalid, but still isn't there some social security for people like that to be independent from their parents?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
It wouldn’t matter if she were a minor or an adult, if her family are witnesses and she’s not, it’s going to be a tough experience.

She needs professional help, fast. You can help her by stressing that reality.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 7, 2019 at 7:44 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So your friend is not JW and yet her parents don't want her to hang around non JW?

But if your friend is a grown person what does it matter who her parents want her to hang around? I mean she seems to be an invalid, but still isn't there some social security for people like that to be independent from their parents?

Maybe her parents are JW, though.

By the way, isn't there a better word to use than "invalid"? It sounds dehumanizing.
(August 7, 2019 at 10:49 am)Grandizer Wrote: By the way, isn't there a better word to use than "invalid"? It sounds dehumanizing.

On a tangent here, I have a blind fried, and we were talking to another guy and he referred to her as an "invisual", that is the PC term for blind people here. She stressed well enough that she didn't like that term "I am BLIND", she said.
(August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm)ReptilianPeon Wrote: I did see Robvalue in person today but this isn't about him, perhaps surprisingly. I'll tell you more about that in another topic, perhaps. This is about somebody else.

A recent friend I made said her parents don't like her being around people who aren't Jehovah Witness (she is not one). I find this rather concerning. Sadly, I don't believe there is anything I can do. Being a disabled person it will be harder for her to obtain economic independence. Are there perhaps any charities that can help? We live in the UK.

I should add that she has been self-harming due to her situation. She does have a partner, which her parents don't approve of either. As I said, quite concerning.

So what are your long term intentions?

It is just to get her free from the evil church or are you looking to possibly sponsor a long term care similar to what the church is in a position to do for her?

I know from being apart of a benevolence program people like this are the one's we as a congregation are looking to help but at the same time would rather spend the money on a full on church member rather than someone who does not believe and is only in attendance to take advantage of the church's generosity.

If you want to help look to see who has this person's long term interest best at heart.

Helping her express her hate for God is not going to help her situation with the people who can provide at least some measure of assistance to her family and her situation.
Christian understanding and empathy, right there.

Drich....the jw establishment actively creates these problems. It’s part of their operation. You’re suggesting...what, that the solution to this persons very real problem, is being left in the care of the organization that caused it?

Go fuck yourself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 7, 2019 at 12:37 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm)ReptilianPeon Wrote: I did see Robvalue in person today but this isn't about him, perhaps surprisingly. I'll tell you more about that in another topic, perhaps. This is about somebody else.

It is just to get her free from the evil church or are you looking to possibly sponsor a long term care similar to what the church is in a position to do for her?

I know from being apart of a benevolence program people like this are the one's we as a congregation are looking to help but at the same time would rather spend the money on a full on church member rather than someone who does not believe and is only in attendance to take advantage of the church's generosity.

If you want to help look to see who has this person's long term interest best at heart.

Helping her express her hate for God is not going to help her situation with the people who can provide at least some measure of assistance to her family and her situation.
Reading comprehension Drich...see if you can locate some and put it to use.

Nothing is said about a hatred of god.  What is said is the person's parents don't want them to associate with people who are not JWs, therefore are worldly, in the jargon.

It also sounds clear that she is dependent upon her parents due to her health.

The JWs are known for being able to completely turn their backs on people, even family, when the person doesn't follow all their rules and regulations.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 7, 2019 at 12:37 pm)Drich Wrote: Helping her express her hate for God is not going to help her situation with the people who can provide at least some measure of assistance to her family and her situation.

Bold by me.

This is the only thing i agree with this paragraph. Hating a fantasy is utterly destroying oneself. It is a figment of imagination.

The not bolded is just Drich, vaunted christian, making atheists for the wrong reasons.
(August 7, 2019 at 12:37 pm)Drich Wrote:

Come on, many Christians don't consider Jehovah Witnesses part of the "in-crowd". They are too "out there" for them. Their beliefs are different to most protestants. Secondly, her parent don't even want her meeting other Christians even. She's only allowed to meet Jehovah Witness people, as I stipulated. She want to leave home due to how nasty they are towards her.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A friend of mine posted this on Facebook and couldn't help but laugh GODZILLA 28 4967 March 23, 2018 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Christian best friend asks me to reconsider Anon2381 45 13174 June 14, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Anon2381
  I called a friend who is a believer... Old Baby 150 26164 January 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Religious friend dumps pile of shit in my facebook inbox. Too thick to tear apart. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 28 8477 November 30, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Question from my friend about existence of God timbangu 33 7857 November 3, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  A Mystic Friend bearheart 50 11890 October 27, 2014 at 1:10 am
Last Post: bearheart
  A friend said peace in the middle east is soon and god will return? masterx1234 25 5390 July 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A Church's Best Friend Michael Schubert 11 4368 December 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Apathy, gods best friend Chuff 10 5669 August 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Jesus is NOT the reason for the season. A Pagan friend of mine posted this on FB: LarissaAnn 4 3014 December 12, 2011 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Nappeun