Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My hypothesis about why people don't believe in God.
My hypothesis about why people don't believe in God.
I can only guess as to why people don't believe in God so bear with me, I'm not stating the following as facts, but rather my hypothesis.

It seems to me that we humans have a spiritual instinct that knows the divine but doesn't quite know it. The more we grow, the more we are capable of growing in knowledge of the Divine.

Our early "knowledge" of God, or belief in God, is there, without much reflection. We don't really think about how we know God or whether we truly do, we simply accept it. But as children along with "knowledge" was a lot of "blind trust" in what our parents taught.

As we grow older, most of us question what our parents taught us, and try to investigate to find the truth. But we do this with a bias. Many people however objectively find that their religion and what their parents taught, was without basis.

Many of what their parents taught was without basis. They then conclude that their belief in God was simply out of trust of parents or society or bias or wishful thinking.

What I feel they failed to do is to investigate the knowledge of their souls regarding their "origin" "source" and "foundational basis", which is God. There is a connection between the soul and God, similar to the rays to the Sun.

At any rate, part of the reason, is that they find intellectually, is to simply rely upon cold logic + scientific method. This is a lot with due to how the intellectuals of our time are presenting the matter.

Also with society now become more inclined to "fleshly desires" and the media idolizing from "the animal desire" perspective, the spiritual exalted "Moses" of the Soul is belittled, while the "Pharaoh" of the Soul is exalted, people feel ashamed of any spirituality, and belittle it, and hence we have many people disbelieving in God.

People feel "shy" from connecting to God and claiming spiritual knowledge, because it feels anti-intellectual as well as society structure is belittling the "Moses" and heightening the "Pharaoh" of the Soul.

Another thing is that religion has presented a concept of God that truly isn't worthy of Worship while at the same time emphasizing on the attributes of the God that is Worthy of Worship. People then feel disconnected to God all together when they disconnect from their religion and realize that it described a God unworthy of worship.

The various factors, make a person feel inclined to ignore their connection to God.

Otherwise, I feel there is a strong connection between humanity and God, that without all these factors, we can easily connect to God and know he exists.

This is my perspective/hypothesis, not stating it as fact.
RE: My hypothesis about why people don't believe in God.
How about the simple fact that every culture invents a god to suit its own purposes?

Doesn't that give you a clue that its all bullshit?
If I understand what you're saying, it's that we humans have a kind of spiritual hole or gap, some sort of yearning to understand the Universe and our purpose in it, and people historically have filled it with gods. If I'm completely on the wrong track I'm sure you'll correct me.

However to continue the point as I understand it: since the development of science in ancient Greece and particularly since the Enlightenment, this god-hole has tended to be more satisfyingly filled with the things we have discovered for ourselves, the things we actually know rather than invented to fill that need. Yet there is still that primal part of our minds that looks out at the Universe and screams "Why? Why am I here and what is my purpose?"

Am I anywhere even close to what you wrote?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: The various factors, make a person feel inclined to ignore their connection to God.

Partially, I guess.

I think the main reason for their belief is simply the lack of evidence. That's usually the first thing they ask you about. The other reasons come later.
Seems like you worked a little too hard on that. Big Grin
(August 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How about the simple fact that every culture invents a god to suit its own purposes?

Doesn't that give you a clue that its all bullshit?

This is a factor in my hypothesis, but it's not sufficiently the reason.

(August 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: If I understand what you're saying, it's that we humans have a kind of spiritual hole or gap, some sort of yearning to understand the Universe and our purpose in it, and people historically have filled it with gods. If I'm completely on the wrong track I'm sure you'll correct me.

However to continue the point as I understand it: since the development of science in ancient Greece and particularly since the Enlightenment, this god-hole has tended to be more satisfyingly filled with the things we have discovered for ourselves, the things we actually know rather than invented to fill that need. Yet there is still that primal part of our minds that looks out at the Universe and screams "Why? Why am I here and what is my purpose?"

Am I anywhere even close to what you wrote?

Not close, but it's an interesting perspective none the less you provided. I guess this sort of comes under one of the factors I mentioned:

At any rate, part of the reason, is that they find intellectually, is to simply rely upon cold logic + scientific method

(August 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(August 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: The various factors, make a person feel inclined to ignore their connection to God.

Partially, I guess.

I think the main reason for their belief is simply the lack of evidence. That's usually the first thing they ask you about. The other reasons come later.

Lack of evidence is under this factor:

At any rate, part of the reason, is that they find intellectually, is to simply rely upon cold logic + scientific method
There's something wrong with just using logic and science to view the world? That's news to me.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien

Otherwise, I feel there is a strong connection between humanity and God, that without all these factors, we can easily connect to God and know he exists.

This is my perspective/hypothesis, not stating it as fact.

I can only speak for myself and respond simply with....no!

No bias, my parents aren't religious and allowed me the time and freedom to think about it independently. I don't believe that god or gods exist, the reason being is that I've seen no reason or evidence to suggest that such a being exists. It's the same with 'souls/spirits/afterlife'. I've rejected them all due to lack of evidence.
No shyness, no bias, no indoctrination. Just plain simple lack of belief. Just how I lack belief in gargoyles, pixies and fairies. Same reason. No evidence.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Partially, I guess.

You confuse me Rayaan. You really do.

WHY YOU NO ATHEIST?
(August 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(August 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Am I anywhere even close to what you wrote?

Not close, but it's an interesting perspective none the less you provided.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if I was following your train of thought, but I'm glad you thought my contribution interesting regardless.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Interesting? I thought the whole reason why people did not believe in god was simply no proof! Science or cold-logic, as you put it, has no bearing on this decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 454000 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1953 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8180 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 8028 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3101 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13561 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4149 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll: 0.0% of Icelanders Under 25 Believe God Created The World blue grey brain 37 6435 January 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3219 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball