Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crops for overwintering/late harvest
Crops for overwintering/late harvest
Suggestions?

Besides lettuce - I'm growing that shit indoors this winter.

Our winter last year was so mild I do think I could have grown broccoli and cauliflower straight through.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Crops for overwintering/late harvest
Asparagus, strawberries, rye, winter wheat, any Brass. If you're expecting a mild winter (and your willing to bet on that expectation) anything you can cover/mist. Particularly mild winters would favor Snow Peas, onions (even a hard freeze leads to some damned tasty onions - theres one interesting practice whereby halved onions are buried in the fall to overwinter and harvested in the early spring for the greens more than the bulb), carrots, etc as well. Anything that can handle a light frost (all spring veggies) can handle a hard freeze if cared for properly. On the other hand...there's alot to be said for letting it go barren..starve the pests and all. I've grown tomatoes outdoors down to 27degrees f (florida's tomato season goes through the winter). Honestly alot of things can overwinter if you really want them too...the yields may be so low as to make you wonder why you bothered...but it can be done. One particular organic grower is famous for year round production of mixed vegetables....in Maine-

Personally, I'd go for a winter rye/wheat mix hoping for a good frostkill to build mass in preparation of spring and spend my winter months planning rather than fretting.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Strawberries? Really?

And asparagus is gross.
Oh hell yes, the sweetness of a strawberry is a function of the ph of the soil, air temp, and growth rates. The green bits (primarily runners) grow best in the spring and summer but the sweetest berries come when the temp is a steady 50degress (and they can withstand light frost - though not hard freeze...they would need to be covered and misted). The primary danger of low temps to strawberries is damage to the sensitive crowns and rupture of the berry walls. The crowns can be mulched, and the berries can be temp controlled (by flowing water and covers, primarily). This does lead to problems with mildew and bacterial disease (even in low temp conditions - due to the relative moisture and stillness of the air under cover) and so you'd be pretty much required to douse them with CapTan, antifungals, and some form of bicarbonate.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Strawberries? Really?

And asparagus is gross.

*SHOCK* Are you kidding me?? Asparagus has surely got to be on almost everyone's top three list.

What in the world do you like better? Fresh peas, artechoke, good corn on the cob, garden ripened heirloom tomatos?
In all of my fantasies she's partial to black eyed peas, okra, and watermelon.....
A good fantasy life is prerequisite to a life filled with good sex. (So far, so good at 59.)
You're just a lucky sonofabitch then, ain'tcha, Rhythm?
Then you knew my mother? Yessiree.
Watermelon's about the best treat you can give me.

Seriously, asparagus is nasty. I wish I had the room to do hot-house growing, and then I'd have tomatoes in the winter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I have these "crops" Belac Enrobso 16 6785 January 2, 2014 at 12:05 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy