Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property
Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property
Usually with this kind of stuff, I stick to lurking, but I did sign up for a reason today. In my town, I am one very few Atheists. Recently, a public school was asked to remove a plaque with the 10 commandments, due to a complaint by an anonymous individual. As predicted, a massive support group has been created by Christians to try to give (mostly inaccurate) reasoning as to why they should get to keep the commandments on the school property.

I would GREATLY appreciate any support you guys can give, as right now, I'm practically on my own.

Article: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/fayette/C...z25o70zchU

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/44129768...189252823/

Americans United: http://www.au.org/
RE: Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property
Contact the ACLU.

They handle this so often I'm sure they have a form letter for it.
RE: Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property
(September 7, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Skylar Wrote: Usually with this kind of stuff, I stick to lurking, but I did sign up for a reason today. In my town, I am one very few Atheists. Recently, a public school was asked to remove a plaque with the 10 commandments, due to a complaint by an anonymous individual. As predicted, a massive support group has been created by Christians to try to give (mostly inaccurate) reasoning as to why they should get to keep the commandments on the school property.

I would GREATLY appreciate any support you guys can give, as right now, I'm practically on my own.

Article: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/fayette/C...z25o70zchU

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/44129768...189252823/

Not to sound callous, but unless you are the one who made the original complaint, is there any point in trying to garner support for this cause?

If the matter is to be decided by public opinion, the you'd never be able to get enough to matter in what appears to be a predominantly Christian community.

If it's to be decided by the law, then you have already won.
Jesus h christ.

Read through the facebook page, what a bunch of morons. Clearly none of them know what the constitution is.

'founded on the gospel of jesus christ' ....... oh wait, Jefferson was a Christian? NOPE.

Fucking cretins.

Good to see a few secular Christians poopooing there intellectual inadequacies.
Sometimes those fuckers need a little kick in the ass to follow their own goddamn laws. The ACLU can help them find the particular one they're trying to ignore in their own rule book.

And yes - you might be surprised how many closet atheists you find.

(September 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Jesus h christ.

Read through the facebook page, what a bunch of morons. Clearly none of them know what the constitution is.

'founded on the gospel of jesus christ' ....... oh wait, Jefferson was a Christian? NOPE.

Fucking cretins.

Good to see a few secular Christians poopooing there intellectual inadequacies.

Did you ever see the Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode on the 10 Commandments on public property? There's an image of a guy belligerently yelling about bringing the 10 Commandments back that's burned into my brain. I'd never get that ridiculous barring someone harming my child. It's fucking scary.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Did you ever see the Penn & Teller's Bullshit! episode on the 10 Commandments on public property? There's an image of a guy belligerently yelling about bringing the 10 Commandments back that's burned into my brain. I'd never get that ridiculous barring someone harming my child. It's fucking scary.

I haven't, but that sounds familiar, I may have seen that wacko on something else, screaming 'i want my 10 commandments back' luck a hick.

And OP, there must be loads of closet atheists around, not everyone can buy the faith ticket, unless you're completely brainwashed, which I doubt.
genkaus Wrote:Not to sound callous, but unless you are the one who made the original complaint, is there any point in trying to garner support for this cause?

If the matter is to be decided by public opinion, the you'd never be able to get enough to matter in what appears to be a predominantly Christian community.

The law may be against the school, but unless enough pressure is applied, I'm sure these people would have no qualms circumventing the law to win one for Jesus. Considering the direction the religious conservatives are trying to take this country, I think that secualrists owe it to each other to fight issues such as this, or else this country will ever increasingly move towards a theocracy.

@OP Have you considered an online petition?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
genkaus Wrote:Not to sound callous, but unless you are the one who made the original complaint, is there any point in trying to garner support for this cause?

The law may be against the school, but unless enough pressure is applied, I'm sure these people would have no qualms circumventing the law to win one for Jesus. Considering the direction the religious conservatives are trying to take this country, I think that secualrists owe it to each other to fight issues such as this, or else this country will ever increasingly move towards a theocracy.

@OP Have you considered an online petition?

As of now, I am only trying to get a small amount of support. I initially intended to try to get some help on enlightening some of these people.

If things get to a larger scale (I could honestly see this going to a national level, because of the amount of support they are getting), I will do everything I can to support our/my side. A petition would be something I can definitely do.

I don't know if any of you use reddit or not, but I have a post there, too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments...e_the_ten/

Thank you all for your replies.
The whole 'Jefferson was a Christian' is bullshit on many levels. Even if it were true, Jefferson advocated a secular government, and that is what is codified in our Constitution.
Well, the facebook page got removed, thanks to the support of many redditors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1226 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1306 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 515 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2209 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Fundy home school - 13 kids rescued drfuzzy 2 968 January 16, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3383 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The church in my school yard Der/die AtheistIn 12 1996 August 25, 2017 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18614 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  are there different versions of the 10 commandments ? yampampuza 31 10230 April 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Lightbulb christian school project lighthouse 296 33275 October 13, 2016 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda