Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My debate in Christian Forums in full swing
My debate in Christian Forums in full swing
Hi,

My formal debate in Christian Forums is now underway. Here is the link: http://www.christianforums.com/t7685355/

Everyone is welcome. But you can't post in that thread because it's fully moderated and it's only for debate participants. There's a peanut gallery. It's in the first post by the moderator.

Cheers,

greneknight Cool Shades
RE: My debate in Christian Forums in full swing
I remember looking at xtian forums once before. I found their fucking "blessings" nauseating.
(September 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm)greneknight Wrote: Hi,

My formal debate in Christian Forums is now underway. Here is the link: http://www.christianforums.com/t7685355/

Everyone is welcome. But you can't post in that thread because it's fully moderated and it's only for debate participants. There's a peanut gallery. It's in the first post by the moderator.

Cheers,

greneknight Cool Shades

Not bad, I especially liked prayer,which does seem a little at odds with your stated beliefs.

To think I thought you were guileless.

ROFLOL
(September 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm)padraic Wrote:
(September 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm)greneknight Wrote: Hi,

Cheers,

greneknight Cool Shades

Not bad, I especially liked prayer,which does seem a little at odds with your stated beliefs.

To think I thought you were guileless.

ROFLOL

But my understanding of God allows for me to pray that prayer. I do it all the time in church. Don't forget, as an altar boy, I'm familiar with all the prayers and collects of the church and I know them by heart too. Wink Shades
Quote:But my understanding of God allows for me to pray that prayer.

Really? I seem to remember you stating you do not believe in a supreme being. But then, I'm old and easily confused, I probably misremembered.Tiger
@ greneknight: That's interesting. I'll probably stay tuned to that.

But, here's one thing which I found to contradict with your stated belief (as padraic mentioned as well).

In this forum, you told me:
Quote:For me personally, although I'm an altar boy, I can't accept in my head a supernatural being. I think of God as a metaphor for goodness but he (although we use a personal pronoun and that's purely language), does not exist as an entity any more than goodness exists as an entity.

But, in that forum, you wrote:
Quote:One point we should note is that Jesus himself is God. Jesus was the one the rich young ruler directed his “good teacher” at. Strictly speaking, Jesus is good because he is God.

In the former, you said that you think of God only as a metaphor for goodness and that he doesn't exist as an entity. In the latter (in the other forum), you're saying that Jesus himself is God, which logically negates your belief that God is just a metaphor since you know that Jesus is not a metaphor, but a living entity.

Just wanted to know how you would reconcile the two statements above.
I thought the same. I had even queried the belief in christ but not in god.

Maybe he thought we would not read the link. Wink Shades
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(September 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:But my understanding of God allows for me to pray that prayer.

Really? I seem to remember you stating you do not believe in a supreme being. But then, I'm old and easily confused, I probably misremembered.Tiger

(September 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm)Rayaan Wrote: @ greneknight: That's interesting. I'll probably stay tuned to that.

But, here's one thing which I found to contradict with your stated belief (as padraic mentioned as well).

In this forum, you told me:
Quote:For me personally, although I'm an altar boy, I can't accept in my head a supernatural being. I think of God as a metaphor for goodness but he (although we use a personal pronoun and that's purely language), does not exist as an entity any more than goodness exists as an entity.

But, in that forum, you wrote:
Quote:One point we should note is that Jesus himself is God. Jesus was the one the rich young ruler directed his “good teacher” at. Strictly speaking, Jesus is good because he is God.

In the former, you said that you think of God only as a metaphor for goodness and that he doesn't exist as an entity. In the latter (in the other forum), you're saying that Jesus himself is God, which logically negates your belief that God is just a metaphor since you know that Jesus is not a metaphor, but a living entity.

Just wanted to know how you would reconcile the two statements above.

Hi Rayaan and Padraic,

I will answer both your questions here. My beliefs are of course fluid and they are still developing. A lot of what I have decided now as my "final" beliefs are actually quite new and you'll be surprised to know how recent some of my beliefs are. So what I'm going to say now is what my views are at this moment.

God is a metaphor for goodness and truth. Culturally, I'm a Christian and the metaphor takes the shape of the Holy Trinity. Jesus is a crucial element in the metaphor. Jesus is God and He is good. How is this inconsistent with what I believe in and why would there be a need for reconciling anything?

The problem comes with most people because they have a DIFFERENT understanding of "God". So, when I say, "Jesus is God", they take Jesus to be an entity and God to be another real entity.

A lot of misunderstanding is definitional. I happen to define God in a very different way from most people.
(September 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Just wanted to know how you would reconcile the two statements above.

Well he said to me he has to try and be more 'true christian' on those forums so as not to be banned or called out on there.

I'm guessing he's just saying certain things like that so they don't call him no true christian.
(September 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(September 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm)Rayaan Wrote: Just wanted to know how you would reconcile the two statements above.

Well he said to me he has to try and be more 'true christian' on those forums so as not to be banned or called out on there.

I'm guessing he's just saying certain things like that so they don't call him no true christian.

In Christian Forums, they try to accommodate all Christians and they don't allow fundies to call people like me a non-Christian. Under their rules, as long as a person accepts the Nicene Creed, he's a Christian. Come on, as an altar boy, I grew up on the Nicene Creed. I can say it backwards while holding on to a huge, heavy silver candlestick, which is what I have always carried as an altar boy and I've always complained about because large cathedrals usually have very large candlesticks and they're really heavy. I really wish they could use fake silver. It'd be lighter.
ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 240 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christianity is heading for a full allegorization Ferrocyanide 298 19868 February 5, 2022 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89406 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 12690 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17604 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3551 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  No Surprise, Here. Xtians Are Full of Shit. Minimalist 5 1199 August 4, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3392 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 24048 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8311 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne