Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion vs. Atheism[Have Your Say!]
Religion vs. Atheism[Have Your Say!]
I created this thread because i am a born atheist and ever since i could remember have argued with religious people of things like the bible etc.

Basically if your religious you may post regarding atheist posts and if your an atheist you may post regarding religious posts.

Now as an atheist i cant really put my "beliefs" to any form of paragraph/sentence in one go as my knowledge is built upon a life time of research and basically runs off human discovery at its latest point.

So i think it will be best for a religious person to start with there thoughts on religion and what they believe to naturally give the atheists something to post about.

PLEASE DO NOT FLAME, YET EXPLAIN YOUR THOUGHTS IN DETAIL FOR A DECENT DISCUSSION!
RE: Religion vs. Atheism[Have Your Say!]
Quote:Theist: god exists, because it says so in the book.

atheist: it's ok for you to believe that, but if you want me to accept it, then you need to provide something much more tangible than some book written thousands of years ago. Otherwise, I do not believe that this god exists, because I have no reason whatsoever to believe in what you say.

Theist: I feel god, I know it exists.

atheist: -.-' riiighhhht.... I don't feel him and I think what you feel is not what you think you feel.

You can add more mumbo-jumbo or more science talk, but all discussions boil down to this.

You can close the forum down, now! Wink
How can we have our say if we cant be honest about what we think? There is a huge difference between ridicule and blasphemy and "flaming". And there is also a huge difference between a person, and what a person claims. People are never one claim and hold positions on all sorts of issues.

What I hate when attacking someone's claim is when they go "you hate me".

There is not one person here who hasn't at a point in their life, had a family member, co worker or friend, say something they thought was stupid or not credible. You still love that person, even though you might hate what they are claiming.

I don't think all conversations have to be library. And I don't think we should always walk on eggshells and assume the person we are debating has a glass jaw.

When I go after a claim I make it clear to the person that it is not personal and if they cannot handle it, then they should not step into the ring. But I also make it clear that whatever I say to them is about their claim and the logic, not them the person.

I like to give credit to theists that they know the difference and can handle the heat and that even after a heated debate that we can still like each other as individuals outside that particular issue. Otherwise no atheist could fucntion in society and we would have to live on an Island.

All of us here have to some degree, family and friends and co workers who hold some degree of belief. I am not a fan of censorship and I don't think taboos do anything but to cause more division and missunderstanding.

Now I do agree that context of situation matters, like if you are at a funeral or wedding you keep your mouth shut. But if someone comes here when they chose to, and no one forced them to, then I don't see how they have a right to complain. It would be like jumping into a boxing ring by choice and then complaining when you get hit.

What is the point of having a website full of people who question if all we do is sing kumbia? Getting along is fine, and humans should learn to get along. But part of that is knowing as a collective species we are sometimes going to hear things that might offend us, but us and them.
(September 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm)WieldingFacts Wrote: PLEASE DO NOT FLAME, YET EXPLAIN YOUR THOUGHTS IN DETAIL FOR A DECENT DISCUSSION!

Religion is bollocks. Is that enough detail for you?
Ah, another one of these.. I don't care whether you're atheist or theist, people posting these kinds of threads are nothing short of imbeciles. The insolence, the arrogance, the conceit! If you want (especially as a new member) to debate and discuss, partake in the ongoing conversations or stop being so lazy and come up with a decent topic on your own at least. The approach of "ta-dah, here I am, I let the discussion come to me!" isn't working.
And you might want to get over your aversion towards apostrophes..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm)WieldingFacts Wrote: Basically if your religious you may post regarding atheist posts and if your an atheist you may post regarding religious posts.
. . . . .
PLEASE DO NOT FLAME, YET EXPLAIN YOUR THOUGHTS IN DETAIL FOR A DECENT DISCUSSION!

[Image: toilet-paper-w.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Within every soul is a name linked to the Name of the Ultimate Being. The name that is linked to the name of the Ultimate being is a living reality and connection to the divine. It's a living name, not just words. It's the divine sword to be wielded. It's the hidden treasure from God within every soul. It's a descent from God. It's beautiful and unique to every soul. It speaks of a light higher then our light. It speaks of a reality higher then our reality. It points above and beyond. It's a city to be built with knowledge, wisdom, and actions. It's tree to be watered by love, and it's fruits are sweet.

Also with in the soul it's negative, it's opposite. I don't say the analogy of darkness in absence of light, rather it's like negative polar opposite. This exists in the soul as what rebels against the blessed tree that speaks of the Divine. This polar opposite is the opposite of wisdom and virtue. It has however no real existence and exists solely within our concsiousness. It exists in one sense, it doesn't in another. It's fruits our sour.

We have been given both trees, the divine sword and the monster with in, to do battle, because it brings about honor.

The world is a battle ground where we have potential to live honorably and according to virtue and potential to do otherwise.

We are to grow in that beauty God put in us, and annihilate slowly but surely, the monster within.

This is the creed that I follow and believe. It's not organized religion, it's purely my belief, based on how I perceive "myself" and what lies within me.
Quote:There is a huge difference between ridicule and blasphemy and "flaming"

I like blasphemy.
Organized religion is completely full of shit. Deism is almost completely full of shit.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
[Image: 3174820236_c6df0a97e6.jpg]

Then again, this reminds me of those stuck-up agnostics who claim they are better because they are so open-minded they won't chose a side. Then again, the ones I've met were just like that in general....
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1053 68952 March 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Last Post: no one
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16552 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8563 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5472 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1299 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1134 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 3954 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let's say we evolved from Lions Mystic 27 4164 May 29, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11021 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 100894 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79