Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Products of Chance
Products of Chance
I've heard atheists say,

“I believe that the universe was created out of nothing by chance.”

But chance can’t create anything. It’s a word that we use to describe or talk about probabilities. If I flip a coin the chances of it landing heads up if flipped (assuming it doesn’t land on its side) is 50%. But if it does land heads up, chance didn't "cause" it to flip, I did. "Chance" doesn't stand in casual relation to things.

“Chance” as the cause of the universe seems silly.

What do you guys think?
RE: Products of Chance
(September 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: I've heard atheists say,

But chance can’t create anything. It’s a word that we use to describe or talk about probabilities. If I flip a coin the chances of it landing heads up if flipped (assuming it doesn’t land on its side) is 50%. But if it does land heads up, chance didn't "cause" it to flip, I did. "Chance" doesn't stand in casual relation to things.

What do you guys think?
I think you've created a strawman that I've heard a hundred times before. No-one with any knowledge of the beginnings of our universe states its origin in the way you have, atheist or otherwise (and remember, there are religious physicists/astrophysicists/cosmologists/mathematicians/year 9 students).
Sum ergo sum
If there is a creator of our universe, he does not reveal himself to us. He is not the god of a monotheistic religion; these are simply prehistoric explanations of the world. It's not a religion. This creator places no bounds on us (such as the ten commandments). It is arguable whether or not this creator can watch our progression. The same can be said for if this creator still exists now and if he exists outside of the universe and such things as time. I respect this viewpoint, but as for the creation of the universe, it is mostly opinion based on what most logically happened. It's one of an infinite amount of answers.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
There is no such thing as "nothing". As to your statement, I assume you believe your god created 'something' from 'nothing', so in effect, you are the 'pot calling the kettle black'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

What do you guys think?

If we didn't have an explanation, we would look bad.

Why should we look bad?

So we invent explanations.
'Reasonable_Jeff; Wrote:“Chance” as the cause of the universe seems silly.

Perhaps, but I think most people are secure enough to say they don't know the cause of the universe. Given our current understanding, this seems to me to be the only reasonable position.

Besides, if we want to get into silly causes of the universe, I think the magic, bearded man that always existed but somehow was lonely and felt the yearning to create whipped up the universe with a snap of his fingers is a far sillier cause than to believe it is the result of unconscious, unintentional forces.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Source?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(September 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm)TaraJo Wrote:

Source?

Could be some he knows personally.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: If we didn't have an explanation, we would look bad.

Why should we look bad?

So we invent explanations.

And many atheists have told you god is not a good explanation, you are better off being brave and admitting you do not know.
(September 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm)System of Solace Wrote:
(September 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm)TaraJo Wrote: Source?

Could be some he knows personally.

Possible. It's also possible it's a strawman. I suspect the later.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3086 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  By chance? Yukon_Jack 438 37783 March 8, 2020 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The argument of "chance" xr34p3rx 86 16290 February 24, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  A chance to do good without god Baalzebutt 8 3261 February 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Logic of chance Ephrium 59 19968 August 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Violet