Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:54 am

Poll: "You just need an excuse to sin."
This poll is closed.
Yes, some christard has used this one on me.
38.71%
12 38.71%
Nope, never been told that.
32.26%
10 32.26%
I'm always looking for an excuse to sin. *see wicked smile*
29.03%
9 29.03%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here We Go Again!
Here We Go Again!
Every year or two the same old argument gets thrown at me.
"The only reason you choose not to believe in the Bible is because you want to make an excuse to sin."

Its always a little exasperating, because as always, I'd really like to know ... WHAT the hell SIN are you talking about?!?!?!?
What sin am I possibly doing that I need an excuse for?!?!???

I drink alcohol. Well, I know a LOT of church going christians that drink alcohol.
I occasionally will smoke a little of the green, but I'm reasonably sure that's not mentioned as a sin.
I play rock n roll music, but I damn sure never conjured up the devil and recorded him on the reverse track.
I've never cheated on my wife.
I've never even had a child out of wedlock.
I've never raped someone and never will.
I've never robbed anyone, with exception to stealing candy from a store when I was a little grade-schooler (and ironically enough, still a christian).
I don't get into fights. I don't hurt people maliciously. I'm not a racist or a bigot.
I'm an avid supporter of women and gay rights.
I hardly ever even break the speed limit.

So ... what the fuck sin am I trying to make an excuse for?!??! Such an annoying comment ya know ......

(sorry bout the rant, I'm still pissed about this)
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Here We Go Again!
(September 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Every year or two the same old argument gets thrown at me.
"The only reason you choose not to believe in the Bible is because you want to make an excuse to sin."

Its always a little exasperating, because as always, I'd really like to know ... WHAT the hell SIN are you talking about?!?!?!?
What sin am I possibly doing that I need an excuse for?!?!???

I drink alcohol. Well, I know a LOT of church going christians that drink alcohol.
I occasionally will smoke a little of the green, but I'm reasonably sure that's not mentioned as a sin.
I play rock n roll music, but I damn sure never conjured up the devil and recorded him on the reverse track.
I've never cheated on my wife.
I've never even had a child out of wedlock.
I've never raped someone and never will.
I've never robbed anyone, with exception to stealing candy from a store when I was a little grade-schooler (and ironically enough, still a christian).
I don't get into fights. I don't hurt people maliciously. I'm not a racist or a bigot.
I'm an avid supporter of women and gay rights.
I hardly ever even break the speed limit.

So ... what the fuck sin am I trying to make an excuse for?!??! Such an annoying comment ya know ......

(sorry bout the rant, I'm still pissed about this)

Have you lied? Gossiped? Lusted? Hated anyone? Stole anything Ever? If not give it time. For we do not need an excuse to sin. We are Slaves to sin. That means we are bound to sin. Sin doesn't make you a bad person, for we all sin. All of the time, even after we are saved. What makes you a person damnable to Hell is not seeking redemption for sin after it was offered.
You support gay Rights??????

SINNER!!!!!
(September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Drich Wrote: Have you lied? Gossiped? Lusted? Hated anyone? Stole anything Ever? If not give it time. For we do not need an excuse to sin. We are Slaves to sin. That means we are bound to sin. Sin doesn't make you a bad person, for we all sin. All of the time, even after we are saved. What makes you a person damnable to Hell is not seeking redemption for sin after it was offered.

Lying and gossiping are rude but not necessarily sin. Neither is lusting or hating someone. If I lie to my grandmother and tell her that I'm not playing football because she's afraid I'll get hurt but play football anyway did I sin? No. If I hate Hitler for killing my great grandfather did I sin? No. If I lust after women, it's because I was created with a drive to procreate. None of those things are sin and even if they are in your little world, I'm still not making an "excuse" to commit them.

Merely by embracing the term 'sin' you enter the magical world of the Christian and their childish ethics.
(September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Drich Wrote: What makes you a person damnable to Hell is not seeking redemption for sin after it was offered.

I'm not too worried about that. I've got your god by the balls on that one. If his little human version of himself died for ALL sins than the "sin" of doubt and denial are covered as well. Bam! I'll be hangin out with you Drich in Heaven ...... oh shit .................. that sounds horrible. Nevermind, send me to that other make-believe underworld that has never existed. Undecided

(September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Drich Wrote: What makes you a person damnable to Hell is not seeking redemption for sin after it was offered.

In Saheefa Sajadiya, (attributed to 4th Shia Imam), there is a line "if regret is a repentance towards you, then I am the foremost in those whom regret".

Now for an Atheist, he isn't regretful towards God, but he can be regretful towards himself as well if he does injustice towards someone, towards them.

I would say if you sincerely regret, that itself is will power to not want to do it, and you truly wish you have not done it. You regretting shows you wish you have not done it.

Now to be honest, I regret small things to big things, from childhood to adulthood. Stupid things I've said, lies I've told, everything that degrades an honorable life or disrespected another person.

I no longer seek forgiveness from God because I believe he is All-Forgiving and would forgive me whehter I asked him to or not. What I rather do, is try to avoid sins now and in the future.

I feel Atheists can also regret their actions and want to live better. Also if they try to be good but do some bad stuff, it doesn't mean they aren't good people. Some people also tend to lose sight of what is sinful because they are so engaged in certain sins, it doesn't seem sinful anymore.

I also feel we all have different expectations of ourselves. Some people take it easy on themselves, and some are really hard on themselves. I don't know which one is better to be honest.

I am the kind that is very hard on themselves.

At the end, the only person you have to answer to really, is the person you look in the mirror everyday.
(September 17, 2012 at 11:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: At the end, the only person you have to answer for really, is the person you look in the mirror everyday.

and I am completely fine with this notion. Sin does not exist. The only thing that exists are actions deemed unacceptable by people who have found them to be personally disagreeable and subsequently slapped a label on them. Which of course is why some christians can drink and dance and some absolutely cannot.

(September 17, 2012 at 11:16 pm)Drich Wrote: Have you lied? Gossiped? Lusted? Hated anyone? Stole anything Ever? If not give it time. For we do not need an excuse to sin. We are Slaves to sin. That means we are bound to sin. Sin doesn't make you a bad person, for we all sin. All of the time, even after we are saved. What makes you a person damnable to Hell is not seeking redemption for sin after it was offered.

Step 1: Admit that you're a "sinner" (by which, you mean imperfect human who hasn't always done the right thing, I assume).

Check.

Step 2: Be willing to turn from sin (by which, you mean resolve to do better in the future and set things right where you can, I assume).

Check.

Step 3: Believe that Jesus died on the cross to redeem you by his blood.

Huh

You had me. You had me. You lost me.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
[quote='Cinjin' pid='337769' dateline='1347938448']

[quote]Lying and gossiping are rude but not necessarily sin.[/quote]According to whom? Your personal version of Morality? If so then know I will bow out of this conversation as i will not dispute that. But if your saying God does not declare these sin to be sin then you are.. Mistaken. Christ identified gossip and lying as two of the greatest sins. ( would normally provide the verses but I know how much hate that.)

[quote]Neither is lusting or hating someone. [/quote]Christ tells us those two are like commiting adultry and Murder.

[quote] If I lie to my grandmother and tell her that I'm not playing football because she's afraid I'll get hurt but play football anyway did I sin? [/quote]According to God Yes.

[quote]If I hate Hitler for killing my great grandfather did I sin? [/quote]According to God yes.

[quote]If I lust after women, it's because I was created with a drive to procreate. [/quote]Just because you are driven to do something doesn't make it any less sinful when you do it.

[quote] None of those things are sin and even if they are in your little world, I'm still not making an "excuse" to commit them.[/quote]
Again no one needs an excuse to sin. we are hard wired to sin. In this there is no freedom of Choice/Free Will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here We Go Again Minimalist 10 2728 April 7, 2012 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Killman