Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do not like vigilantism. But.

I exempt the Pope and others of his ilk from my usual rules against vigilante action.

For those criminals, I would say to any vigilante to go for it because those in power are ignoring the law of most lands as well as the young victims of such heinous crimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02J_kPincA

In terms of pedophile protecting regimes, need I say more?

------------------------------------

Muslims. What of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3AvnWDYMpA

All such should pay a heavy price.

If moral people are not going to push their governments for justice then I would ask that vigilantes move themselves to action. Justice demands it.

Regards
DL
RE: I do not like vigilantism. But.
Cockburn strikes me as a self-righteous douchebag but the documentary looks very interesting. Do you know where the full version is available?

Never mind, here it is http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...boys/view/
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
what's the point? Is this a serious thread or something else?

Vigilantism is a complex moral question. Violent vigilantism often goes wrong, especially when religiously justified. However, there is at least one occasion in my life were, with hindsight, I wish I'd physically taught someone a lesson, but that would have been illegal, and that's a law I quite agree with*. So I cannot come out and say that vigilantism isn't always unfair. But evoking rocket launchers?!?!?!??! Thinking people, including by definition most atheists-by-choice, should be above that.

*anyway, someone much bigger taught that person the lesson, although I doubt he learnt it.
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29
Only vigilantism I approve of:

But seriously, no, vigilantism isn't alright. If people feel the need to deliver 'justice' outside of the law, the laws that need to be revised or rewritten to better serve the society and be adequate. Or then people need to learn not to act upon their feelings. Because what's the use of a justice system, if additional (non-controlled and regulated) punishment is delivered by an angry mob?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The problem is of justification and who draws the line at what is or is not acceptable. Our laws need to be rewritten to make ALL religions fully accountable on ALL levels from taxation to accountability.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
The laws are written to regulate society and maintain order. They are not written for any other reason, certainly not justice.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: The laws are written to regulate society and maintain order. They are not written for any other reason, certainly not justice.

There is no such thing as justice, so laws could not have any other function than to control. They just need to control the churches also.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: The laws are written to regulate society and maintain order. They are not written for any other reason, certainly not justice.

There is no such thing as justice, so laws could not have any other function than to control. They just need to control the churches also.

Justice is an apriori concept developed by humans over countless years, as is morality. We adhere to them and hold them as standards to live by.
Over time it has become apparent that when pursued they make the world a better place to live in. For this reason we collectively project them onto the world around us, we strive to make it what guides us and makes us a cut above savages.
We make them real because thats the world we want to live, thats the world that is within our power to produce.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
The issue with vigilantism is that it is quite difficult to know when an action has crossed the line.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
What exactly is this thread advocating vigilantism against? Political country music?
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1963 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2341 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5560 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9339 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 11719 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Gay in not only a choice, but a mind control influence in children. Zidneya 12 3157 July 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Like it or not, God is immoral. Greatest I am 76 27416 September 18, 2012 at 3:15 am
Last Post: greneknight
  Can you help but do evil? I do not see how. Do you? Greatest I am 11 7226 August 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  1 Cor. 15:46-47 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the Spirit Gambit 22 12720 June 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird