Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell
Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell
So this man I know believes the devil existsl. I did say the word devil a few times and I have a plush devil, because of this the guy thinks I will get "negative energy". I once told him I don't believe in demons and he gesticulated a circle, said that God is in the center and the devil somewhere in that circle as well. Then I lied that I believe him so that he'll leave me alone.
The same guy said he doesn't believe in Hell. He specifically stated there is no Hell, after you die, God won't judge you, you're  going to regret what you did wrong yourself.
What if someone doesn't regret their deeds? morality is subjective after all. There are evil people who don't regret hurting others. Are they gonna get away scot free? I do believe that some get scot free in real life (not in the afterlife, I don't believe in it), but I'm not claiming there is a great moral force.
I really don't get this guy. He claims the Earth is round and the people who wrote the Bible were wrong about it being flat, but God created men and evolution is wrong. He also doesn't believe that the atrocities made by God in the old Testament are literally real, but believes that there is a devil.
He already peeks and chooses what to believe, why believe in the Devil? It's not comforting. Why doesn't he just say the devil is a metaphor? Nobody else he knows is afraid of a plush devil, so why him?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell
I try not to concern myself overmuch with what crazy people believe.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 8, 2019 at 8:14 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I try not to concern myself overmuch with what crazy people believe.

Boru

I was just curious. If someone is very annoying and you don't depend on them, should you ignore them completely, like not even responding when they say hi?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
I'm the opposite. I don't believe in the Devil but I've been to Croydon.
What is his foundation for belief in the Devil? Is it the Bible? He seems to have a mix of auras, energy, with some parts of Christianity, and idk. It doesn't sound Biblical, yet he believes God created man. If you want him to leave you alone and his beliefs aren't affecting you, best to not worry about his beliefs unless you just want to know why. Without him here to articulate his beliefs I really couldn't answer why.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(March 8, 2019 at 8:09 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: So this man I know believes the devil existsl. I did say the word devil a few times and I have a plush devil, because of this the guy thinks I will get "negative energy". I once told him I don't believe in demons and he gesticulated a circle, said that God is in the center and the devil somewhere in that circle as well. Then I lied that I believe him so that he'll leave me alone.
The same guy said he doesn't believe in Hell. He specifically stated there is no Hell, after you die, God won't judge you, you're  going to regret what you did wrong yourself.
What if someone doesn't regret their deeds? morality is subjective after all. There are evil people who don't regret hurting others. Are they gonna get away scot free? I do believe that some get scot free in real life (not in the afterlife, I don't believe in it), but I'm not claiming there is a great moral force.
I really don't get this guy. He claims the Earth is round and the people who wrote the Bible were wrong about it being flat, but God created men and evolution is wrong. He also doesn't believe that the atrocities made by God in the old Testament are literally real, but believes that there is a devil.
He already peeks and chooses what to believe, why believe in the Devil? It's not comforting. Why doesn't he just say the devil is a metaphor? Nobody else he knows is afraid of a plush devil, so why him?

Why do you care what they believe? You are as bad as the most judgmental religious people who are overly interested in the beliefs of others. I think that you believe in crazy things that make you a bad person. In other discussions, you talked about your belief that you should 'punish' people by withdrawing from them socially. I mean, sure, you should probably withdraw socially from people whose presence in your life is not healthy for you. That's just common sense. But when you do it to 'punish' them, you're just a self absorbed asshole. But you believe that you should 'punish' people. My guess is that no one likes you anyway, so you are really just rewarding them with your delusions of punishment. But the point is that you believe in crazy things, and I'm making a point of judging you as aggressively as you judge others.

I don't know much about the devil. I know about hasatan-- the adversary. It makes sense to me that someone could believe in an adversarial entity like the devil without believing in hell.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(March 8, 2019 at 8:47 am)Yonadav Wrote: It makes sense to me that someone could believe in an adversarial entity like the devil without believing in hell.
Yeah because when you believe in imaginary entities and your imaginary entity is the goody, it makes perfect sense to imagine there is a baddy. Otherwise who would we blame for all the shit? Rolleyes
(March 8, 2019 at 8:09 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: So this man I know believes the devil existsl. I did say the word devil a few times and I have a plush devil, because of this the guy thinks I will get "negative energy". I once told him I don't believe in demons and he gesticulated a circle, said that God is in the center and the devil somewhere in that circle as well. Then I lied that I believe him so that he'll leave me alone.

In superstition, people do cherry pick, even Jews. Many say heaven exists but not hell. Even some Christians depending on individual will say there is no hell, just a separation from God in the afterlife, you don't burn in hell, you simply are separated from God.

But again, the idea of punishment reward in an afterlife isn't unique to the monotheism of Abraham. Even in places like China and Japan, they to have concepts of ancestor worship, and superstitions about punishment reward in the afterlife.

It is easy to get stuck in the west on Christianity because that is what we run into the most in the west. But once you survey the world history of all religions, you see that superstitions exist in every single one, bar none.
It exists, I can drive there from where I am. You might have to take a boat.

[Image: hell-sign.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 8, 2019 at 8:54 am)IWNKYAAIMI Wrote:
(March 8, 2019 at 8:47 am)Yonadav Wrote: It makes sense to me that someone could believe in an adversarial entity like the devil without believing in hell.
Yeah because when you believe in imaginary entities and your imaginary entity is the goody, it makes perfect sense to imagine there is a baddy. Otherwise who would we blame for all the shit? Rolleyes

The concept of hasatan isn't really a 'baddy'. He's not even a particular being. He's sort of a force of nature that induces people to make choices that violate everything that they believe in. And even he is sort of disappointed when he's successful.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Devil just needs a character rewrite Nachos_of_Nurgle 16 1534 February 16, 2022 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4614 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8499 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1749 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8871 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3018 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Just to know I'm not alone Somecoolguy 36 8530 July 8, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  J.P. Moreland believes that sperm cells have immortal souls. Jehanne 50 8937 April 26, 2017 at 9:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5539 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The Devil downbeatplumb 64 9386 November 29, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe